Official P&b Cycling Thread

Aldi are having one of their bike sales again. I think I'll pick up a pair of shorts and gloves.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/dates/sunday-10th-april/c/2016-04-10/?q=%3Apopular&page=0

Got a couple of pairs of socks and a pair of gloves this morning. Pretty decent. Went with the intention of getting a pair of the trainers but they only go up to 11.

Use plastic tyre levers gently to take the tyre off. Try and put the tyre back on using your hands only. That can be tough depending on the tyre make. Make sure the tyre is seated on the rim properly too and not catching the tube.

I started cycling to and from work a few months ago, it's about 13 miles each way, so is a decent bit of exercise to start the day. I went to the Bike Station in Glasgow and picked up a second hand mountain bike for £75 which seems to do the job fine. I've been really enjoying the cycles and will probably invest in a road bike in the next year or so (I always notice road bikes zipping past me with seemingly little effort).

Is anyone getting involved in the European Cycling Challenge? I generally leave my bike on John Street near the city chambers and the last few nights I've went out there's been something free on my bike (nothing big - had a couple of fluorescent straps and a seat cover, but nice all the same) advertising for this challenge. Glasgow apparently want to reach 500,000km in the month of May for the challenge. I'm going to aim for about 600km to 'contribute' to it, but not sure that all of my cycling will count because half of it is in Renfrewshire.

Edited by Mordecai

Great effort. It's a fookin long way. I notice you bottled Cleish Hill!!

At least the wind was sort of behind you on the way back - although I'm sure you didn't notice!

When you are ending a 132 mile route with Carrot Hill, you need to miss a few.... :-)

y7y1Ca9.jpg

New bike day. Cannondale CAAD12 with Ultegra.

Nice.

Going out on my road bike tomorrow for the first time since I broke my arm in December. Arm's still bent and weak, so I'll take it easy.

Did Forfar to Forth Road Bridge and back yesterday......Westerly wind was a nuisance!! 212km's

https://www.strava.com/routes/4695589

That's a beast of cycle - 2200m of climb on top of the distance.  Kudos.

I did a loop from Dunblane to Strathyre and around Loch Earn today - 64 miles which my longest ever ride.  I've got the Etape Caledonia in 2 weeks.  Anyone else on here doing it?

Did Loch Ness today, really disappointed with my KoM stage. Had terrible cramp in hamstrings and quads which put me about an hour from where I wanted to be. Apart from that I was really happy with going to Fort Augustus and from the second feed station to the end.

Did Loch Ness today, really disappointed with my KoM stage. Had terrible cramp in hamstrings and quads which put me about an hour from where I wanted to be. Apart from that I was really happy with going to Fort Augustus and from the second feed station to the end.

Well done! Fookin tough climb out of Fort Augustus IIRC. Looks a great loop.

Nice.

Going out on my road bike tomorrow for the first time since I broke my arm in December. Arm's still bent and weak, so I'll take it easy.

:) Didnt mean to greenie you that was for the bike above :)  enjoy the plus one greenie

Anyway on topic meant to be cycling to Dunoon this weekend.  Our yearly paisley to Dunoon cycle weather looking pretty grim hoping it changes as the days go on.

Did my last 'big one' for a while yesterday......kept getting asked "are you doing the etape"....well i did do it and another 85 miles extra.. :-)

https://www.strava.com/routes/4782470

Fantastic stuff Sir.

I was thinking my 20 mile Saturday morning loop (quick visit to my Mum and home over Dunnichen Hill) before going to the match was decent enough... :lol:

Fantastic stuff Sir.

I was thinking my 20 mile Saturday morning loop (quick visit to my Mum and home over Dunnichen Hill) before going to the match was decent enough... :lol:

And it was decent enough. Cycling's for everyone and isn't a cock measuring contest.