Official P&b Cycling Thread

Strange how some things happen in phases.

Thursday - Puncture heading home after work, at least it happened fairly close to home so just walked the last wee bit..

Friday - Broke a spoke on the rear wheel 10 miles from home. Managed to get the spoke out and cycled the remainder with crossed fingers and toes.. Checked the web later and it seems this brand of wheel is prone to a spoke failure or two. <_<

Was lucky to find a cycle shop that had a spoke that fits and have fitted it today. I will need to check it for truth tomorrow.

Now wondering what  the third 'issue' will be.... :(

25 miles yesterday followed by another 25 today.

Honestly though see the wind it really needs to go take a severe f**k to itself, really just seems to be in my face constantly the now.

I'd love to punch a wind god in the face. Fucking c**t.

Edited by Dindeleux

Honestly though see the wind it really needs to go take a severe f**k to itself, really just seems to be in my face constantly the now.

Ha ha - I know what you mean. I used to plan my routes so I had the wind behind me on the way home. Now I think get it at your back as you leave the house - it doesn't expect that and it f*cks it's head.

I managed 35 miles on Saturday, longest I've stayed out. I would have liked a little wind. It was 25c, it was cloudless, and I thought I was going to die because of the heat. A breeze would have been perfect.

I managed 35 miles on Saturday, longest I've stayed out. I would have liked a little wind. It was 25c, it was cloudless, and I thought I was going to die because of the heat. A breeze would have been perfect.

What magical place is this you speak of with no wind?

What magical place is this you speak of with no wind?

A magical place with too many hills for my liking. Not so bad on the way down them, but trying to climb when it's hot is a killer.

Just checking a few climate based statistics websites, it seems that the average wind speed in Switzerland is almost exactly half what it is in Scotland. That's far higher than I would have estimated.

A magical place with too many hills for my liking. Not so bad on the way down them, but trying to climb when it's hot is a killer.

Just checking a few climate based statistics websites, it seems that the average wind speed in Switzerland is almost exactly half what it is in Scotland. That's far higher than I would have estimated.

As in you didn't expect Scotland to be as high or Switzerland?

I live really close to the coast so I assume that has something to do with it. Even today the weather is fantastic but the breeze is still strong.

The wind in general doesn't bother me it just seems to be a swirling wind at the moment that comes into your face, you can't beat the feeling of the wind at your back right enough.

you can't beat the feeling of the wind at your back right enough.

It's great when you're on a straight road with a strong tail wind.  Riding along at 27-28 mph without putting much effort in is a great feeling.  Exactly balanced by mashing your way through the head wind at 12-13 mph on the return journey.

But you rarely get a helpful tailwind. A helpful mathematician will, perhaps, tell us, but of the 360 degrees of possible wind direction, perhaps only 30 actually get you moving more quickly? Still - good for the CV system, which is what we old guys need.

But you rarely get a helpful tailwind. A helpful mathematician will, perhaps, tell us, but of the 360 degrees of possible wind direction, perhaps only 30 actually get you moving more quickly? Still - good for the CV system, which is what we old guys need.

Theoretically any wind coming from the 180 degrees that are behind you will have a component of the vector pushing you forward. The magnitude of which is the wind speed X cos theta where theta is the angle between the wind direction and the norm. post-17349-14629126604637_thumb.jpg Edited by Fifespud

Equals headwind both ways? Spud, I have a son who is a maths honours graduate. He's getting this sent to him for verification.

Do it!!

Any wind coming from the 180 degrees in front of you likewise has a component that is straight in your face.

In reality a strong cross wing is obviously a b*****d to cycle in but if you can convince yourself of my maths it helps.

If your son says I'm talking shite let's keep it on P and B. I've literally spent all day - from 9am to 9.30pm tutoring higher maths and I wouldn't want to undermine the youngsters confidence by demonstrating how clueless I am!!

You know, I was good at maths at school. Got an A in Higher and actually loved it. The guy who sat next to me, I helped to a B, and he went on to be a maths teacher! I trust you, spud - I honestly can't remember any of that trigonometry stuff. Sine of aging, perhaps? I return to my assertion that the wind is not usually an aid to cycling progress, however.

As in you didn't expect Scotland to be as high or Switzerland?

I live really close to the coast so I assume that has something to do with it. Even today the weather is fantastic but the breeze is still strong.

The wind in general doesn't bother me it just seems to be a swirling wind at the moment that comes into your face, you can't beat the feeling of the wind at your back right enough.

I definitely didn't expect Switzerland to be as high.

Anything that helps reduce the temperature a little is good by me. Looks like it will be a little cooler this weekend, 15c rather than 25 last week. Will hopefully break the 60km mark on Sunday if the weather is as expected.

I definitely didn't expect Switzerland to be as high.

Anything that helps reduce the temperature a little is good by me. Looks like it will be a little cooler this weekend, 15c rather than 25 last week. Will hopefully break the 60km mark on Sunday if the weather is as expected.

The sun is great here at the moment if you can find a spot without any wind.

But when you actually do catch the tail wind its fantastic cant be said when heading back the same way its brutal.

I've started getting back out on the bike (hybrid) recently and have found that it puts quite a lot of pressure on my wrists and hands. Being overweight probably doesn't help, but I was thinking about getting bar-ends to change my riding position occasionally. I know the answer to this will depend on rider's size and preference but what kind of angle should I be looking to put them on at, ie vertical, 45 degrees etc?

I've started getting back out on the bike (hybrid) recently and have found that it puts quite a lot of pressure on my wrists and hands. Being overweight probably doesn't help, but I was thinking about getting bar-ends to change my riding position occasionally. I know the answer to this will depend on rider's size and preference but what kind of angle should I be looking to put them on at, ie vertical, 45 degrees etc?

Its more likely your bike set up. Especially the handlebars and seat, try a video like this 

See if adjusting your bike helps. 

(edited to change the video. )
Edited by dorlomin