Official P&b Cycling Thread

After 15 years away from cycling, bought myself a Boardman hybrid last year. It's not top of the  range but reliable and most importantly comfortable.  4 hours seems to be my limit, but that's usually good for 45-50 miles with a fair bit of climbing. 

Came on here to ask a question, but thought I'd check the thread first to see if it's been asked before. Ended up reading the entire thread from page 1, and unfortunately, because it took me nearly 4 months to get through it, I've forgotten what the question was. Great read though. Things sure have changed a lot in 15 years. 

37 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

After 15 years away from cycling, bought myself a Boardman hybrid last year. It's not top of the  range but reliable and most importantly comfortable.  4 hours seems to be my limit, but that's usually good for 45-50 miles with a fair bit of climbing. 

Came on here to ask a question, but thought I'd check the thread first to see if it's been asked before. Ended up reading the entire thread from page 1, and unfortunately, because it took me nearly 4 months to get through it, I've forgotten what the question was. Great read though. Things sure have changed a lot in 15 years. 

Welcome back to spinning spokes! It’s generally a friendly bunch here apart from a few trolls!

3 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

The main thing is to enjoy it and be safe 

14 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

Let’s deal with the speculation, do you or do you not drive a Kia Cee’d diesel that attracts a road fund licence of around £30 a year? Significantly less than my diesel Mercedes I would wager.

Financial services company, here is what I make of that. You do contracting, maybe agency work in an office hence your own company but your hours are greatly reduced in the summer time as the market is flooded with students looking for work.  I think you work a pitch in a street or shopping centre somewhere trying to flog PPI claims hence outsourcing the investigations to another company.

If you are such a financial whizz-kid, then why are you looking at buying a new Kia (which doesn’t exist except in concept form) instead of a more tax efficient lease deal possibly for a Lexus which we all know your heart desires.  Putting your money into Kia shares which have dipped significantly wasn’t a shrewd move either. 

Anyway I apologise to my fellow cyclists for the derailment of this thread. Let’s get back to the joys of two wheels whether it’s road, mountain or track.

I've been chartered for 18 years after completing CIMA.    Corporation Tax being lower than Income Tax means it's better to register yourself as a company rather than a sole trader.   

And I'm certainly not a "financial whizz-kid" it's money for old rope doing what I do.   I've no interest in pushing myself.   No interest in becoming a CEO.    No interest in diversifying into corporate financial or derivatives.   

Earning a very good wage for little work appeals to me, as does being taxed lightly on it.    That way I can spend more time out driving my car and be educating aggressive road bikealists. 

Don't worry about my financial status.   I have two trees in my garden that are taller than the chimney and a club and course membership at Gleneagles where I've been a member since 2004.  

#perthshire  

That must surely happen in a lot in rural Australia. I remember being driven through rural Queensland and kangaroos were jumping out every 30 seconds. You actually can’t drive to the remote parts there with a normal car as is the likelihood that you will knock one over and damage your car.

9 hours ago, PB 4.2 said:

I've been chartered for 18 years after completing CIMA.    Corporation Tax being lower than Income Tax means it's better to register yourself as a company rather than a sole trader.   

And I'm certainly not a "financial whizz-kid" it's money for old rope doing what I do.   I've no interest in pushing myself.   No interest in becoming a CEO.    No interest in diversifying into corporate financial or derivatives.   

Earning a very good wage for little work appeals to me, as does being taxed lightly on it.    That way I can spend more time out driving my car and be educating aggressive road bikealists. 

Don't worry about my financial status.   I have two trees in my garden that are taller than the chimney and a club and course membership at Gleneagles where I've been a member since 2004.  

#perthshire  

Course you are! If you were you would know that anyone earning a five figure salary could just as easy be on minimum wage. That’s why you drive a clapped out old Kia instead of your dream Lexus and post pics of houses you don’t own. Has your new 2018 Cee’d been delivered? 

We get you are unable to ride a bike and generally are uninformed about bike ownership, prices of bikes and the benefits of such so please either go and learn or stop making things up like fake houses, jobs, cars, meeting government ministers and fake NGOs on a cycling post. At best you are just another online fantasist at worst you are a particularly creepy man who takes hidden camera videos of people, young and old, riding bikes but hey, if that’s what floats your boat!

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:46, PB 4.2 said:

So basically you are using speculation and fantasy.    This is where we differ.   

I don't doubt that you earned more than me last year because I work as little as possible.   I have my own Financial Services company and take outsourcing work.   Which is why I'm in North Edinburgh as I have been for the last 14 months.    

Typically I work 20-25 hour in the winter and 10-20 in the Summer.   

Pilton.

3 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

Course you are! If you were you would know that anyone earning a five figure salary could just as easy be on minimum wage. That’s why you drive a clapped out old Kia instead of your dream Lexus and post pics of houses you don’t own. Has your new 2018 Cee’d been delivered? 

We get you are unable to ride a bike and generally are uninformed about bike ownership, prices of bikes and the benefits of such so please either go and learn or stop making things up like fake houses, jobs, cars, meeting government ministers and fake NGOs on a cycling post. At best you are just another online fantasist at worst you are a particularly creepy man who takes hidden camera videos of people, young and old, riding bikes but hey, if that’s what floats your boat!

tenor.gif

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a bike rack for the wife’s car. I normally use the Thule Proride 598 system on roof racks as my motor has the roof rails. I was going to be getting some for her new motor but, typically, she has changed her mind from a Kuga to a C-Max so no roof rails and I don’t want to have a roof rack on it.  I have the Saris Solo and only used it in emergencies and not terribly keen on it so not too sure about the Saris Bones.

Edited by statts1976uk

2 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a bike rack for the wife’s car. I normally use the Thule Proride 598 system on roof racks as my motor has the roof rails. I was going to be getting some for her new motor but, typically, she has changed her mind from a Kuga to a C-Max so no roof rails and I don’t want to have a roof rack on it.  I have the Saris Solo and only used it in emergencies and not terribly keen on it so not too sure about the Saris Bones.

Used the Saris bones once when driving down to the Lake District and after about 10 miles turned back and decided to hire bikes , as the thing was wobbling all over the place 

Imo best option ( appreciate more expensive ) is to get a towbar fitted and then get a good quality Thule tilting one 

I has this and it was brilliant 

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Thule-9503-Rideon-3-bike-Towball-Carrier_21531.htm?sku=35985&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxp__r9uH2QIV5LftCh03gAEIEAQYASABEgIeX_D_BwE

10 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

Careful now, you might get upgraded to Cat 4 :o

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Don't mind the rain, don't even mind the wind, you just deal with it. But cold weather? Forget it. I know you can layer up and generate heat, but eventually even with gloves  and extra socks your hands and feet get cold, your nose won't stop running and your eyes start watering. Plus it's no fun breathing in all that icy cold air.  Man up you say?  Honestly, just can't be bothered. I'm getting far too old for that macho shit.  Which is why this winter I've been using the gym instead of getting out on the road.  On the plus side there's no traffic, no cold weather, no ice, no salt and no shit road surfaces. On the down side it's boring, sterile and very, very hot. Can't see what harm I'm doing though. Set myself a target on the gym bike of 40km in an hour (so far I'm at 36.6). It's only temporary, until Spring arrives. Still can't get rid of a slight feeling of shame however. It's just not 'real' cycling.

10 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Don't mind the rain, don't even mind the wind, you just deal with it. But cold weather? Forget it. I know you can layer up and generate heat, but eventually even with gloves  and extra socks your hands and feet get cold, your nose won't stop running and your eyes start watering. Plus it's no fun breathing in all that icy cold air.  Man up you say?  Honestly, just can't be bothered. I'm getting far too old for that macho shit.  Which is why this winter I've been using the gym instead of getting out on the road.  On the plus side there's no traffic, no cold weather, no ice, no salt and no shit road surfaces. On the down side it's boring, sterile and very, very hot. Can't see what harm I'm doing though. Set myself a target on the gym bike of 40km in an hour (so far I'm at 36.6). It's only temporary, until Spring arrives. Still can't get rid of a slight feeling of shame however. It's just not 'real' cycling.

You’re certainly living up to your name ;)

To be honest , I have to agree to a point , nothing worse than being absolutely frozen out on the bike, but I can deal with the cold more than the pissing rain tbh.

Nothing wrong with the gym bike to maintain a certain level of fitness , but don’t let it lull you into a false impression that it’ll make you bike fit .

4 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

but don’t let it lull you into a false impression that it’ll make you bike fit .

Yeah, I get that. I know the difference between 'bike fit' and 'gym fit'.  Just can't motivate myself to get out into the slush and the grit. Better the gym than nothing. Missing the road though. 

4 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

nothing worse than being absolutely frozen out on the bike .

Two of the worst things in life combined.  

Your best post in months.   Keep it up.