Official P&b Cycling Thread

I thought I'd take a short ride out to Monifieth today (about 9 miles round trip). But when I got there, I just decided to keep following the Dundee Green Circular route, and ended up doing 26 miles in all. So that makes up for missing out on Perth yesterday.

Have to say, though, parts of the Green Circular are a joke. Some of the paths are a disgrace and it's really poorly signposted - so poor in fact that I completely missed Camperdown Park and ended up in Birkhill. It's a shame really, because so long as you know the route, it's a pretty good ride with a few challenging hills mixed in with straight, flat paths that you can pick up a fair bit of speed on. If they could just fix the "broken" bits.

Edited by The Master

I thought I'd take a short ride out to Monifieth today (about 9 miles round trip). But when I got there, I just decided to keep following the Dundee Green Circular route, and ended up doing 26 miles in all. So that makes up for missing out on Perth yesterday.

Have to say, though, parts of the Green Circular are a joke. Some of the paths are a disgrace and it's really poorly signposted - so poor in fact that I completely missed Camperdown Park and ended up in Birkhill. It's a shame really, because so long as you know the route, it's a pretty good ride with a few challenging hills mixed in with straight, flat paths that you can pick up a fair bit of speed on. If they could just fix the "broken" bits.

That is the problem with a lot of cycling provision- could be good but just missing in bits. I have to say been impressed with the investment in cycling around Renfrewshire since I was last out regularly some decent links- not exactly enough but not bad.

Had a good run today- my idea was a nice run down to Lochwinnoch, some time at Castle Semple then back on train to Paisley and cycle the rest home. Did the 20km to Lochwinnoch in 50 mins which wasn't bad. Got to the station 15 before the 16.32 train only to see delayed 10 mins due 16.42- then 16.48, then 16.52 and then a sign about signalling problems in Largs causing delays and possible cancellations came up. Probably some jakes nicking the signal cable again. Anyway still was only 25 past so decided to cycle back as well, got to Johnstone at the same time train was due to leave Lochwinnoch with all the delays if it ever did and back home in an hour (headwind d'oh!) so wasn't bad but an extra 20km I wasn't planning!

I do the lochwinnoch run stay in paisley so join the track in elderslie its about 17 mile round trip, thinking about trying the turn off and head down gourock way next time

Gourock run is nice, although I tend to do Kilmacolm and chuck it there- it has a rather end of path feeling with the pub there.

I quite like the Lochwinnoch run, not bad, although Kilmacolm one I feel is slightly harder as it is a constant uphill gradient that railways have that you don't really notice from Linwood to Port Glasgow really. If you get it on the wrong day with a strong headwind you feel it- I did once on a day with a strong wind- took 15 more mins to Kilmacolm and I had to stop and get a drink in the Coop. On the way back I was 30 minutes quicker laugh.gif.

Will do the Lochwinnoch one again it was 13 miles from my house to there and back- if I get a day off might go down to Kilwinning or so.

Gourock run is nice, although I tend to do Kilmacolm and chuck it there- it has a rather end of path feeling with the pub there.

I quite like the Lochwinnoch run, not bad, although Kilmacolm one I feel is slightly harder as it is a constant uphill gradient that railways have that you don't really notice from Linwood to Port Glasgow really. If you get it on the wrong day with a strong headwind you feel it- I did once on a day with a strong wind- took 15 more mins to Kilmacolm and I had to stop and get a drink in the Coop. On the way back I was 30 minutes quicker laugh.gif.

Will do the Lochwinnoch one again it was 13 miles from my house to there and back- if I get a day off might go down to Kilwinning or so.

I thought the Gourouk run and Port run were both the same. Need to give it a try think it helps if you have someone with you to help push you along as when i'm out cycling I tend to see someone in the distance and set about trying to catch them. Also with Endomondo app it tells you the time you have set for that mile and every mile after which can be quite good but also soul destorying when cycling into the wind, Which I seem to be doing when comming around the airport doesnt matter what the weather is like seems to always be windy there :rolleyes:

Maybe i should try the above and stop for a drink to help me home :D

What kind of bike are you using? I just upgraded to a hybrid bike from my mountain bike which I sold. I have knocked about 10 mins off my best time from the moutain bike and 20 odd of my worst time. so fairly pleased so far with it

Edited by paisleysaints

I thought the Gourouk run and Port run were both the same. Need to give it a try think it helps if you have someone with you to help push you along as when i'm out cycling I tend to see someone in the distance and set about trying to catch them. Also with Endomondo app it tells you the time you have set for that mile and every mile after which can be quite good but also soul destorying when cycling into the wind, Which I seem to be doing when comming around the airport doesnt matter what the weather is like seems to always be windy there :rolleyes:

Maybe i should try the above and stop for a drink to help me home :D

What kind of bike are you using? I just upgraded to a hybrid bike from my mountain bike which I sold. I have knocked about 10 mins off my best time from the moutain bike and 20 odd of my worst time. so fairly pleased so far with it

Port and Gourock runs are the same. I just worded it badly- Port is the last of the uphill bits in the main.

18 year old Raleigh Mountain bike with knackered gears and wide tyres- but changed to slicks which helps. Pace is usually under 3min a km, or just about 4 to 5 mins a mile. I kid myself that it is getting me super fit when I get a proper bike which is coming soon hopefully!

When im older id love to do like a tour of europe, going through all these middle countries that you neverreally hea of and then up through germany, holland , and then back.

I'd also like to do a cycle right the way across scandanavia.

When im older id love to do like a tour of europe, going through all these middle countries that you neverreally hea of and then up through germany, holland , and then back.

I'd also like to do a cycle right the way across scandanavia.

Good stuff. Aim high :)

Did you hit something or roll over glass etc?

I think it might have been because of a pothole.

I heard a bang and the tyre was flat immediately, so it's not just a simple puncture. I've not properly checked, because I can't find my tyre levers...

Edited by The Master

Having commandeered a pair of soup spoons in lieu of tyre levers, I've got a double-puncture.

Probably repairable for now, but the tyre itself has a bit of damage so with the bike only being 4 weeks old, I'll see about getting both tyre and tube replaced under warranty.

Well bought a bike. Took me a while, a million bike retailers. Some just didn't seem interested in folk looking for lower priced bikes and others recommended stuff I'd said was well out of my price range. In the end this bike came up trumps in the service and price ratio.

B'Twin Triban 3, for £299 seems to meet my needs well and looks decent for the money. A close relation to the B'Twin Sport range highly thought over on bikenet etc.

258949_10150211800863600_568643599_7316785_274715_o-1.jpg

Initial thoughts are promising, it was decent but only did 2 miles.

Gearing will take a little getting used to for me, not used to it yet. The bloke said it will ease up with a bit of use and to come back to get the adjustment redone.

I had it all explained but was still confused and pushing the brake levels the wrong way- oops. It's Sora really anyway. I'll need to go out and have a proper play with the gears and understand what shifts what and which way!

Edited by flyingscot

Well bought a bike. Took me a while, a million bike retailers. Some just didn't seem interested in folk looking for lower priced bikes and others recommended stuff I'd said was well out of my price range. In the end this bike came up trumps in the service and price ratio.

B'Twin Triban 3, for £299 seems to meet my needs well and looks decent for the money. A close relation to the B'Twin Sport range highly thought over on bikenet etc.

Gearing will take a little getting used to for me, not used to it yet. The bloke said it will ease up with a bit of use and to come back to get the adjustment redone.

I had it all explained but was still confused and pushing the brake levels the wrong way- oops. It's Sora really anyway. I'll need to go out and have a proper play with the gears and understand what shifts what and which way!

That's a nice-looking bike at a good price. We need an accurate review :)

Just joined the British Cycling Federation,as going out more and more,thought I better get proper insurance,which is needed in many instances.

Also decided to officially join lcal bike club,as although not interested ( or fit enough),in serious racing,good to go out on training nights and novice runs on a Saturday morning,as has definetly improved my fitness levels and cycling skills/knowledge in the few weeks I've attended.

Mind you,that feeling may change after tonight,as I'll probabaly be blowing out my arse after their training session!

Talking to one of the guys the other night and explaining to him that I still sometimes get pins & needles in my hands,sore neck and "numb-nob" after a long ride ( no comments please!!!)

He suggested I change the stem on my bike to raise my cycling position so more upright and hey presto,all ailments cured!

I expect to see this flash by my on the cycle track down lochwinnoch way lol I'll run my hyrbrid bike for the rest of the summer may aim for a road bike byt next year