Official P&b Cycling Thread

Out last night and chain was hitting my front derailleur in top gear,so decided to stop and make a few wee adjustmets.

Bad move!!.

Spent ages tweaking cables and turning screws making it 20 times worse ,so much so,that chain was slipping off main gearing and ended up being out for 2 hours and only doing 10 miles.

Have had to put it into the bike shop this morning to get fixed....................Yes,I am a twat!

Bike sorted ,out last night and changing gears smooth as silk!

Cycling Club had time trials last night,but decided to miss,as wanted out earlier and couldn't be arsed competing with the Top Guns.

Best guy did 10 miles in 23 minutes dead,which is an average of just over 26 mph!!!! :huh:

I woke yesterday and was cheered to see blue sky and sunshine.

I got half way through my 5 mile morning commute when it started to rain, and for 30 seconds or so, I got thrashed by hailstones....in June FFS!

Anyhoo...

It seems we might finally be getting a shower installed here at my office. Ah, but it would seem there is a catch, in that we're being told that bikes won't be allowed in the building. This is pish, as I have my own office and the bike doesn't get in anyone's way. I didn't fork out a grand on a bike only to have to leave it lying outside for some scumbag to nick. Negotiations are ongoing, but, needless to say, I've spat the dummy out....

Jesus, that's swift!

Aye.I couldnt believe it.

He had a full carbon framed bike (cant remember the name) which I was told cost about £4k,which had closed in wheels like they use in Velodromes.

The guy is obviously very good and serious.Will try and find out more details if I can re the bike,but wasnt a name I recognised

Edit to add: It was this,Cervello S3

http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2011/S3/

Edited by Unleash The Nade

That is swift for 10 miles and with a bike at that price you would expect it to fly anyway lol.

Good news getting a shower installed in work Drooper. I cycle to work daily makes that trip to work a little better. Not looking forward to going home tonight rain which is ok but that wind is looking mighty gusty :(

Took the day off work today to go out for a first proper ride on my new bike. Just under 18 miles, no idea of time as I didn't check when I left.

Pissing rain all the way and no matter which way I turned, I seemed to by cycling into a headwind. Really tough going.

Please tell me someone else has rides like this as it really sapped my strength and pissed me right off.

Took the day off work today to go out for a first proper ride on my new bike. Just under 18 miles, no idea of time as I didn't check when I left.

Pissing rain all the way and no matter which way I turned, I seemed to by cycling into a headwind. Really tough going.

Please tell me someone else has rides like this as it really sapped my strength and pissed me right off.

Yup,but stick at it mate.

I cant believe the amount of times I go out,thinking its quite calm,only to find the wind whips up afte about 15 minutes and like you,no matter which direction you cycle in,it seems to be against you!

I really dont mind cycling in the rain or cold,but a strong wind is a bugger and can make things quite tough

Yup,but stick at it mate.

I cant believe the amount of times I go out,thinking its quite calm,only to find the wind whips up afte about 15 minutes and like you,no matter which direction you cycle in,it seems to be against you!

I really dont mind cycling in the rain or cold,but a strong wind is a bugger and can make things quite tough

Cheers mate. Glad I don't suffer alone.

Rain and cold I can handle too. Plenty of gear to combat them but headwinds are the worst thing about cycling.

Tailwinds are awesome though. Although I don't catch them all that often. The headwinds seem to spite me by turning round on my way home.

Yeah, the rain doesn't bother me either (bought a mudguard today). Had a puncture the other day and had to push the bike three miles home as I didn't have a spare with me. Somebody said using the uber-knobbly tyres on the road is asking for trouble with punctures, is that right? I'm loathe to buy new tyres when I could be saving for a better bike.

Yeah, the rain doesn't bother me either (bought a mudguard today). Had a puncture the other day and had to push the bike three miles home as I didn't have a spare with me. Somebody said using the uber-knobbly tyres on the road is asking for trouble with punctures, is that right? I'm loathe to buy new tyres when I could be saving for a better bike.

Never heard that about knobbly tyres tbh,but definitley slow you down.

Just carry a puncture repair outfit-spare innner tube and set of tyre levers with you in a wee under-saddle bag

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Big knobblies are hellish on the road, mate - I'd suggest you get rid. Get a set of cheap slicks while you're saving up. Not convinced about the puncture argument, TBH, but, as UtN says, they slow you down horribly, and are ridiculously heavy.

That is swift for 10 miles and with a bike at that price you would expect it to fly anyway lol.

Good news getting a shower installed in work Drooper. I cycle to work daily makes that trip to work a little better. Not looking forward to going home tonight rain which is ok but that wind is looking mighty gusty :(

Aye, the wind is the killer. I just get the head down and grind away, trying not to think about it. Oddly enough, I find you don't notice the rain after a while unless it is really pissing down remorselessly with a strong wind to boot.

Well bought a bike. Took me a while, a million bike retailers. Some just didn't seem interested in folk looking for lower priced bikes and others recommended stuff I'd said was well out of my price range. In the end this bike came up trumps in the service and price ratio.

B'Twin Triban 3, for £299 seems to meet my needs well and looks decent for the money. A close relation to the B'Twin Sport range highly thought over on bikenet etc.

258949_10150211800863600_568643599_7316785_274715_o-1.jpg

Initial thoughts are promising, it was decent but only did 2 miles.

Gearing will take a little getting used to for me, not used to it yet. The bloke said it will ease up with a bit of use and to come back to get the adjustment redone.

I had it all explained but was still confused and pushing the brake levels the wrong way- oops. It's Sora really anyway. I'll need to go out and have a proper play with the gears and understand what shifts what and which way!

Good stuff. Looks a lot of bike for the money.

I'd get rid of the kick-stand, though. It just adds weight and gets in the way. More suited to a tourer or some such. Also, you should look at clearance for closer fitting guards. You can get special sets that can be fitted even with minimal frame clearance. You'll find that these protect you and the bike much more effectively than the MTB-style guard you have on just now. I'm intending to invest in a set of these when I return from my holiday (you can pick them up cheaper if you shop around):

Roadie Mudguards

The main thing is to just get out and ride the thing, though :P

Edited by Drooper

Scratch that...it turns out my pump has an adapter in it that I'd never seen. So inner tube is now replaced and bike is working a-OK.

I also decided to fish my mountain bike out of the garage for the first time in well over 2 years because I fancied doing a bit of off-roading at Templeton Woods. The chain has a wee bit of rust and the gears are slipping, but other than that it's in pretty decent nick. I might try and fix it up myself as a wee project for the rest of the close season.

I also decided to fish my mountain bike out of the garage for the first time in well over 2 years because I fancied doing a bit of off-roading at Templeton Woods.

Do they still dig up bodies there? unsure.gif

Can't believe I got another puncture today. This thing goes down more often than the wife.

Do they still dig up bodies there? unsure.gif

Not recently, but it wouldn't surprise me if they found more...so long as it's not mine, though, after I crash into a tree :unsure:

Can't believe I got another puncture today. This thing goes down more often than the wife.

:lol:

Good stuff. Looks a lot of bike for the money.

I'd get rid of the kick-stand, though. It just adds weight and gets in the way. More suited to a tourer or some such. Also, you should look at clearance for closer fitting guards. You can get special sets that can be fitted even with minimal frame clearance. You'll find that these protect you and the bike much more effectively than the MTB-style guard you have on just now. I'm intending to invest in a set of these when I return from my holiday (you can pick them up cheaper if you shop around):

Roadie Mudguards

The main thing is to just get out and ride the thing, though :P

I agree with what you say about the mud guard it does look a bit awkward and suits a MTB more- but then it came from my mountain bike and is better than nothing, so it will do for the moment. It is light too with LEDS on it which I've had people say are really good so be nice to get a road one like that- I'll have a look at your link when the wages are in. The kickstand went on it cause it just about fell a couple of times when propped up. Less weight than a bottle of water and doesn't really have any effect so I'm not too bothered about it.

I think it is a lot of bike for the money in my opinion and I'm happy with it., French designed and made in Italy so not a total 'Far East special' that folk criticise. It will have some flaws I'd bet, the price would indicate that but I think it might be genuinely a good deal- even the tyres seem decent on the bike. By the looks of it since Monday they've sold 5 of them in Glasgow alone (including mine) which doesn't sound bad going to me.

Review? Well it perhaps not the lightest road bike (10-ish kg) despite the nice carbon front fork ooooh ha! The gears are fine- no doubt not the best stuff, but Shimano is usually solid and it is a nice range of ratios which I need to get used to as on the MTB I just bunged it on top gear 90% of the time as top gear wasn't very hard. Got the fault that all Shimano Sora type bikes share have as you can't reach the lever shifter in the drops (unless you have a large finger!- but it is good if you ride more like a normal bike with bar ends. The gears are ok on the rear but the front is a wee bit more difficult as without a full push of the brake level it sometimes doesn't shift and you have to go down and back again. I think it may loosen up a wee bit after few more miles- only done about 15 on it so far, if not I can take it back to them and get them to adjust it.

I also need to get used to the toe clips, trying to cycle away from lights without getting crushed and put get my feet in them without falling off is tricky but getting better! The thing I don't like are the supplied lights and bell. They are both a legal thing and the bell is well cheap and shifts about on the handbars dinging away down potholed roads! The lights are decent but look a bit naff, but again all bikes in France have to be sold with them so they come attached here too as they are a French company. I'm also conscious of people looking and staring at me on this bike for some reason which is a bit weird, even my Mum got asked if it was me on a bike the other day. Don't know why people are doing it however!

Got it insured too through the house insurance and two new locks so scotes have to work a bit to get it! ph34r.gif