Official P&b Cycling Thread

IMO I would go for s Specialized or Giant Hybrid before I went for a Ridgeback, someone else mentioned earlier if you can find someone who stocks the 2010 models you will get a bargain.

I have a Specialized Sirrus Sport - it is a great bike and the 2011 model will set you back £449 and you could probably pick up a 2010 model somewhere for around £300.

Someone said they got interest free credit from Formby Cycles - I have checked out their website and it looks a decent shout.....

I suspect you probably have to spend a minimum amount before qualifying for 0% interest from Formby (and most others). I'm paying £1K and will get 24 months. It might be £500 over a year or something similar (and £2K+ over 36 months etc.). That is the usual scenario. I'd be surprised if they offer the facility for less that that.

If the master has £300 - £400 handy, then I'd agree that he'd be better opting for the Spec or Giant. I'd go for the Spec as noted above. If I didn't already have a MTB that I've adapted for the commute when the conditions are a bit too shit for the road bike, then I'd be looking at the Sirrus, no question.

I suspect you probably have to spend a minimum amount before qualifying for 0% interest from Formby (and most others). I'm paying £1K and will get 24 months. It might be £500 over a year or something similar (and £2K+ over 36 months etc.). That is the usual scenario. I'd be surprised if they offer the facility for less that that.

If the master has £300 - £400 handy, then I'd agree that he'd be better opting for the Spec or Giant. I'd go for the Spec as noted above. If I didn't already have a MTB that I've adapted for the commute when the conditions are a bit too shit for the road bike, then I'd be looking at the Sirrus, no question.

That is right - 1 year for bikes (and equipment) over £500 with a 10% deposit and 2 years for over £1,000, same deposit.

You don't get that at many other places and their prices are in line with most major outlets.

Not my ideal situation but worthwhile going to a local shop, getting fitted out for the right bike and if you can't haggle the price - go to Formby for 0%.

That is right - 1 year for bikes (and equipment) over £500 with a 10% deposit and 2 years for over £1,000, same deposit.

You don't get that at many other places and their prices are in line with most major outlets.

Not my ideal situation but worthwhile going to a local shop, getting fitted out for the right bike and if you can't haggle the price - go to Formby for 0%.

There is that option.

Sizing a bike and gettnig a feel for it is pretty important, no doubt about that, but the best deals are usually online. You get vast choice, too.

My employer is opening up the Cycle to Work scheme again next week (I already have a folder on this), just a week after I arranged to get my new bike from Formby. I could cancel the finance and I reckon they'd be okay with refunding the deposit, but I want the Cube. I would get a good enough bike through the scheme but it is limited in choice and I'm not sure that I want to settle for second best here as I'm forking out a fair few bob either way. It's a similar situation with local bike shops. They usually only stock certain brands, whereas you can get literally anything online.

The Cycle to Work folks are supposedly looking into ways in which I could get the Cube through them, but they haven't got back to me yet, and my bike from Formby should be ready for delivery over the next few days. Bit of a dilemma really....

There is that option.

Sizing a bike and gettnig a feel for it is pretty important, no doubt about that, but the best deals are usually online. You get vast choice, too.

My employer is opening up the Cycle to Work scheme again next week (I already have a folder on this), just a week after I arranged to get my new bike from Formby. I could cancel the finance and I reckon they'd be okay with refunding the deposit, but I want the Cube. I would get a good enough bike through the scheme but it is limited in choice and I'm not sure that I want to settle for second best here as I'm forking out a fair few bob either way. It's a similar situation with local bike shops. They usually only stock certain brands, whereas you can get literally anything online.

The Cycle to Work folks are supposedly looking into ways in which I could get the Cube through them, but they haven't got back to me yet, and my bike from Formby should be ready for delivery over the next few days. Bit of a dilemma really....

I have a cycle2work scheme too but only able to opt in in November so may wait.

Other issue is it is Halfords only. Many people on here slate them but TBH the Boardman range are one of the best equipped bikes for their price.

The 100 mile Glasgow race - is it part of Pedal for Scotland?

I have a cycle2work scheme too but only able to opt in in November so may wait.

Other issue is it is Halfords only. Many people on here slate them but TBH the Boardman range are one of the best equipped bikes for their price.

The 100 mile Glasgow race - is it part of Pedal for Scotland?

It's Action Medical Research or something like that, though I'm doing it in memory of my father-in-law for the British Heart Foundation.

As you say, the Boardman bikes get great reviews. I'm not keen on how they look, but that's just petty :P

Aye, I reckon the Speccy would be a very good option. It'll be a very decent frame, with plenty of scope to upgrade later if desired. That would certainly be my choice if I had that budget and was looking for a decent hybrid-type bike. Internal cable routing at this price is impressive, and with a mixture of Shimano and SRAM components, and decent rims, this is a very good package for the money IMO.

Workmate has just bought himself a new Secteur, looks the piece. Our office is now 80% Specialized! Good bikes by all means.

Once you get into the habit of your commute, you'll feel agitated if you skip a day when you had planned to ride.

I have a pretty short 12 mile round trip but there are hills at either end so it is pretty challenging at times, but I've now got into the mindset whereby I'll be taking the bike pretty much regrdless of the weather. I also often extend the route for a bit of a challenge and some variety. A 30 mile round trip is another proposition right enough, but your goal of commuting by bike 2 or 3 times a week sounds like a good plan, giving yourself rest days in between.

I'm definitely a creature of habit, but that means it's very difficult to break my habit of sleeping until the very last second that I HAVE to get up. <_< That's meant I've struggled badly to get up early enough for cycling - need to leave the house at 6:30 to make the train! I've nothing of note on this weekend so I'll be fresh on Monday to get started.

30 miles sounds daunting but in contrast to yours there is very little incline on my trip - right along the shore of the Tay basically.

Ideally, I'd like to cycle Monday, Tuesday, Friday. I play Fives on a Wednesday night (half the reason I decided I needed to get fit) so having the Wed/Thurs off is ideal

My suggestion would be to sign up for an organised ride at some point - later in the summer perhaps. I'm doing the Glasgow 100 (mile) in August, so I need to get ride time under my belt. This can be the prompt I need to get my arse on the bike in the morning as opposed to taking the car or getting a life with the missus.

Not a bad idea, although I'm not convinced I'd be anywhere near ready for anything like that. I'd quite like to go out sometime in the summer with a couple of mates and do some miles and take in some scenery so possibly that's all the motivation I'd need.

Just going by the pics....

The Meteor looks a bit more 'sit up and beg' to me - a more upright, relaxed riding position, if not very purposeful.

The Velocity looks to be more of a chuck around, thrasher.

The Velocity is probably a bit lighter, not least as it doesn't come with mudguards and a rack fitted. The Metoer is probably a bit more utilitarian, while the other Velocity no doubt has the option to add a rack and guards when the weather becomes shittier.

A lot will depend on what you use the bike for. The Metoer would be practical for commuting I'd have thought, but might not be regarded as quite so cool.

Ridgeback seem to be a decent enough brand, from what little knowledge I have.

Thanks.

I'm planning to go to Nicholson's tomorrow to see if I can take either of them (or another one they may have) for a test cycle to see how I get on with them.

I went to Nicholson's this morning and the really helpful salesman recommended I go for one I didn't link to here: the Ridgeback Comet - http://www.nicholsons-cycles.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=43196 Quite honest when you think about it, because it's £50 cheaper.

With mudguards, lights, computer and bottle cage it's come to a wee bit under £420, which I'm pretty happy with. And I go back later today to collect it, which is fantastic (even if it will interrupt my viewing of the Cup Final!).

Hopefully I'll now be able to get into the full swing of cycle-commuting on a decent bike, instead of getting a couple of days under my belt then having to take it back to get fixed.

I went to Nicholson's this morning and the really helpful salesman recommended I go for one I didn't link to here: the Ridgeback Comet - http://www.nicholsons-cycles.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=43196 Quite honest when you think about it, because it's £50 cheaper.

With mudguards, lights, computer and bottle cage it's come to a wee bit under £420, which I'm pretty happy with. And I go back later today to collect it, which is fantastic (even if it will interrupt my viewing of the Cup Final!).

Hopefully I'll now be able to get into the full swing of cycle-commuting on a decent bike, instead of getting a couple of days under my belt then having to take it back to get fixed.

Looks good. Happy riding! :)

Saddle looks a bit dodgy to me. I'd recommend a wee upgrade in the not too distant future:

The Dug's Baws!

Great saddles, and pleny to colour options and designs to customise your steed.

BTW - £70 for the accessories you mention seems a bit steep. I'd be looking for a helmet too :P

Looks good. Happy riding! :)

Saddle looks a bit dodgy to me. I'd recommend a wee upgrade in the not too distant future:

The Dug's Baws!

Great saddles, and pleny to colour options and designs to customise your steed.

BTW - £70 for the accessories you mention seems a bit steep. I'd be looking for a helmet too :P

If I remember correctly, the mudguards were £21.99, the computer and lights £19.99 each and the bottle cage £6.99 and they're pretty decent, so I don't mind.

I'll see about a saddle as well, but I'll give the one it has a go first.

If I remember correctly, the mudguards were £21.99, the computer and lights £19.99 each and the bottle cage £6.99 and they're pretty decent, so I don't mind.

Aye, I'm just always on the lookout for a haggling opportunity, but it sounds as though you've got a good set-up for the money.

Welcome to the club sir! :)

Had planned to go out today having been away on a weeks holiday,but too much to do around the house & garden,plus its a bit too windy

Bike collected and wow, it's good. Much lighter than any bikes I've had in the past and the gear changing is a dream: no more spinning handlebars - two levers on each side, one for up the other for down. And the brakes are unbelievably powerful.

I might head out after the Cup Final to get used to it.

Edited by The Master

Does anyone use one of those phone apps that record where you've been/how fast/how long etc? I've been using one called Runtastic which has helped me figure out where I got lost today huh.gif

That was my longest trip yet - 40km on roads, tracks, fields and 4ft stinging nettles!! Home now, cold and aching but tucking into a big bowl of beef broth. nom

I was in Mabie, Dumfries earlier in the week and did the Red Mountain Bike Track.

19k and it took me 1hr 41mins. Really enjoyed it, good fun and I was f**ked after it :P

Does anyone use one of those phone apps that record where you've been/how fast/how long etc? I've been using one called Runtastic which has helped me figure out where I got lost today huh.gif

That was my longest trip yet - 40km on roads, tracks, fields and 4ft stinging nettles!! Home now, cold and aching but tucking into a big bowl of beef broth. nom

Use runtastic all the time, think it is quite good, but wish it would realise when you are stopped at lights etc and add that to a waiting or pause time rather than the main time.

Use runtastic all the time, think it is quite good, but wish it would realise when you are stopped at lights etc and add that to a waiting or pause time rather than the main time.

MyTracks differentiates from moving time and stopped time (if that makes sense). It's a fantastic app - I use it on my Desire. Masses of information and charts the route on Google Earth.