Official P&b Cycling Thread

Picked up new bike this morning and took it for a 10 mile test run.

Appreciated there would be a difference from my hybrid,but not that much of a difference!

Have to admit,shat myself a couple of times going downhill as speedier that I thought it would be.

Going along on the flat,it seems quite a bit easier as much lighter bike.

Dont know what speeds I was doing,but definetly quicker that I'd do on my hybrid

Edit to add: Just been out again and did another 17 miles,f'ing brilliant!

Sounds ace

Bought myself a mountain bike last week. Picked it up on Friday, went home, set it up and headed out, only to find that I hadn't put enough pressure in the tyres so had to head back in and pump them up further. Take 2 found me riding round the block but struggling to find a suitable gear, couldn't find one that wasn't either too stiff or too loose. Ended up knackered very quickly.

Went out again yesterday whilst hungover and found I was really struggling going uphill, even on just a slight gradient. Eventually got home knackered and inspected the bike to find that the rear wheel is out of alignment and is leaning against the frame at the left hand side of the wheel. I'm hoping that this added drag is the reason why I've been struggling so much and finding it nigh on impossible to build up any speed. Although, my crippling lack of fitness is definitely a factor. I'll adjust the rear wheel alignment over the next few days and then see how I fare after that.

Anybody done the mountain bike track at Pendreich? Tried it for the first time the other day and it was quite an eye-opener.

An eye opener as in,"Oh this is rather good" or an eye opener as in "Oooooyyyyaaaammmeeennntttaaalllffffuuuuccccckkkkeeeerrr" ?

Am I the only boring twat going out cycling?

Well I do comute every day. This weekend coming I have two 70 milers queued up but work comitments meant I could not get out last weekend.

The weather down here in London has been pretty decent.

An eye opener as in,"Oh this is rather good" or an eye opener as in "Oooooyyyyaaaammmeeennntttaaalllffffuuuuccccckkkkeeeerrr" ?

Definately "Oooooyyyyaaaammmeeennntttaaalllffffuuuuccccckkkkeeeerrr" laugh.gif

Out on road bike tonight and did 16 miles,but found it really hard as much windier than I thought it was.

Last wee cycle for just over a week,as off to Tynecastle tomorrow, and getting stuff ready on Thursday night as off on holiday early Friday am to Tenerife.

Fitness level sure to take a hammering!

Did 19 miles tonight with a mate who's just bought a new Specialized road bike.

Got caught in a thunderstorm with the heaviest rain I've ever seen and it stung like f**k.

Am I the only boring twat going out cycling?

Bike been in for a service of late so not been out!!

I am watching 7 bikes on E Bay at the moment but the wife not biting (not in that way anyway).

She says santa may be good to me but that's a long way away.:angry:

Out on road bike tonight and did 16 miles,but found it really hard as much windier than I thought it was.

Last wee cycle for just over a week,as off to Tynecastle tomorrow, and getting stuff ready on Thursday night as off on holiday early Friday am to Tenerife.

Fitness level sure to take a hammering!

You could always hire a bike out there and do some training in the heat.

I am off to Lanzarote on 23/5 and already know where the hire shops are and they do decent bikes. Sure fire way to lose weight by cycling in the heat.

I was out last night, (I only have a shitty 15 year old heavy mountain bike with knackered gears but slick tyres!) and it was brutal.

Potholes hidden in huge puddles, every red light in town I had to wait at, and the wind right in my face no matter which direction I seemed to take. Hate how in Paisley you can jump in a car and the lights change for you in some sort of sequence- no such luck in a bike, by the time I'm up to speed the next light is changing!

Only went out for 30mins and did 10K think it was 3.15mins a km which isn't too bad considering the red lights in Paisley.

I was out last night, (I only have a shitty 15 year old heavy mountain bike with knackered gears but slick tyres!) and it was brutal.

Potholes hidden in huge puddles, every red light in town I had to wait at, and the wind right in my face no matter which direction I seemed to take. Hate how in Paisley you can jump in a car and the lights change for you in some sort of sequence- no such luck in a bike, by the time I'm up to speed the next light is changing!

Only went out for 30mins and did 10K think it was 3.15mins a km which isn't too bad considering the red lights in Paisley.

Depeds which sort of red light you stopped at ;):lol:

rlz300.jpg

Depeds which sort of red light you stopped at ;):lol:

rlz300.jpg

When I say red light I mean traffic. wink.gif Was in Paisley not Amsterdam! I don't even know where the red light district is in Paisley, I shudder to think what it would look like!

Went back out last night, was still windy as hell through, but was passing other cyclists so not the only one struggling along the road. Pace must be OK then, but was dying a bit up hill in the middle of the ride.

I've placed a deposit on a Cube Attempt road bike (compact chainset).

The bike won best 2011 bike for under £1K (albeit by a penny) in Cycling Plus magazine.

My missus isn't best thrilled and I'm still trying to negotiate this one TBH. I wonder if her ire is more based on the fact that I'm getting more and more into this road biking malarky and I'm therefore more likely to come to a nasty end before my time. Alternatively, she might just think I'm being a greedy, unreasonable cunt. I'd like to think it is the former, but my head tells me it is the latter.

Anyhoo....

I've registered for the Glasgow 100, opting for the miles route. I still intend to do the ride on my late father-in-law's Flying Scot, but the Cube would make training so much more enjoyable as the Scot is on the large side for me.

I did consider a full carbon framed bike (Dolan Mythos), but I think this is more a case of all the gear, and no idea, than any considered deliberation as to what is the best option.