Official P&b Cycling Thread

Recommend me a bike.

I'm looking to start cycling maybe a 3/4 days a week for some extra exercise. I need to lose weight and get fit but running is boring, and I know I'll enjoy cycling as I have done before. It's just getting back into the habit.

Won't be riding on the road, mainly on the cycle track between Port Glasgow and Bridge of Weir (to start with anyway).

Not looking to spend too much (was thinking ~£150) but also don't want to buy something that's going to fall to pieces after a while. Should I spend a bit more?

Edited by garymcc1874

Anyone done the Pedal for Scotland before? Im considering applying.

I'd never heard of it before, but having now Googled, you've got me seriously considering it.

Me and two mates did this last year, in fact I am sitting wearing the t-shirt you get given!!

Really recommend it, we got a good day for it last year, plenty of stops if you want to make them and the route is well marshalled and resonably straight forward.

I am doing the sportive ride this year (100 miles as opposed to 50 miles) which I believe will be much tougher!!

Recommend me a bike.

I'm looking to start cycling maybe a 3/4 days a week for some extra exercise. I need to lose weight and get fit but running is boring, and I know I'll enjoy cycling as I have done before. It's just getting back into the habit.

Won't be riding on the road, mainly on the cycle track between Port Glasgow and Bridge of Weir (to start with anyway).

Not looking to spend too much (was thinking ~£150) but also don't want to buy something that's going to fall to pieces after a while. Should I spend a bit more?

Unfortunately under £150 and buying something that will not fall to pieces don't go together these days.

Best idea is to visit your local independent bike shop, tell them what you intend to do and they will give you some honest advice.

If you are thinking that you will at some point increase the use of your bike don't buy something you will have to replace - i.e. get one that fits your end goal.

Limited for time tonight so just done 30 minutes on the turbo trainer in my roasting hot garage so got a nice sweat on!!

Can't recommend a turbo trainer enough for scenarios just like me tonight when going out on the road for 30 minutes just isn't worth it.:D

Me and two mates did this last year, in fact I am sitting wearing the t-shirt you get given!!

Really recommend it, we got a good day for it last year, plenty of stops if you want to make them and the route is well marshalled and resonably straight forward.

I am doing the sportive ride this year (100 miles as opposed to 50 miles) which I believe will be much tougher!!

The big question is: is it flat? :lol:

The big question is: is it flat? :lol:

In all honesty I was glad it was Glasgow to Edinburgh rather than the other way around as it is more downhill than up!!

There is a couple of cunto hills, one just after you pass by The Fort Shopping Centre which is very narrow and is difficult to ride up as there is so many people having to get off and push and another hill just outside one of the small towns which was a beast but both reasonably short!!

I only got back into cycling last year and did the 50.6 miles in just over 3 hours averaging 16.3mph so it can't be that bad.

Anyone done the Pedal for Scotland before? Im considering applying.

I'd never heard of it before, but having now Googled, you've got me seriously considering it.

Could this be the early stages of a P&B team emerging??

In all honesty I was glad it was Glasgow to Edinburgh rather than the other way around as it is more downhill than up!!

They are both at sea level so the climb and drop is the same, all that is different is the steepness of the hills.

Dont know if its been posted before but I use this for routeplanning.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

It has a very handy 'show elevation' feature that is an utter godsend for cyclists.

Edited by dorlomin

I'm assuming you're from Grangemouth?

If you want to PM me,I've got a great wee route you can go on when up to speed a bit thats around 15 miles and much of it off it on roads hardly used by any traffic

You can pm it to me if you like UTN, always looking for a change of scenery.

Good cycle early this morning.

South Queensferry, Portoblow, Musselburgh, Tranent, MacMerry, Haddington to Dunbar.

38 miles, 2hrs 16 minutes and averaged 16.6mph.

Thankfully was meeting the family at East Links and got a lift back.

Superb though. :D

Did the exact same ride as this early this morning and it took me 2hrs 37 minutes at an average speed of 14.4mph :angry:

I did have a heavy rucksack full of clothes on my back and the wind was slightly into me but disappointed with the time.

They are both at sea level so the climb and drop is the same, all that is different is the steepness of the hills.

Dont know if its been posted before but I use this for routeplanning.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

It has a very handy 'show elevation' feature that is an utter godsend for cyclists.

Okay then for the sake of correctness...

I'm glad it was Glasgow to Edinburgh rather than the other way as the climbs coming from Edinburgh whilst not so steep were certainly longer and more sustained, I prefer to grind my way to the top of a short hill rather than have to pedal for ages up a long one.

Good website though.

Cheers

Did around 15 miles last night and just done 23 tonight.

A guy on a flashy road bike with all the gear went past my mate and I giving us a wee wave on the way.

We dug in, caught him up and flew past the fucker after a further mile.

He tried like a bear to catch us up,but never came close GIRFUY :lol:

Ah, alright then.

I'm just trying to get fit again and it's damn near 30 years since I was on a bike. I've been given some kind of mountain bike by my step-son and I've been out on that a few times but it's obviously not the best for using on the road. I've no real intention of going off road, so is it practicable to change the stupid knobbly tyres to road tyres? Also, I presume the gearing is different so how easy/sensible is it to change this?

Ah, alright then.

I'm just trying to get fit again and it's damn near 30 years since I was on a bike. I've been given some kind of mountain bike by my step-son and I've been out on that a few times but it's obviously not the best for using on the road. I've no real intention of going off road, so is it practicable to change the stupid knobbly tyres to road tyres? Also, I presume the gearing is different so how easy/sensible is it to change this?

Advise you to go to GW Smiths at the end of Falkirk High Street and they'll put you right