Official P&b Cycling Thread

Drooper - do you commute all year round on the bike?

I ask because I'm just getting into cycling and now cycle to Glasgow twice a week (to get the bus to work in Edinburgh). Its okay just now because weather is decent but what is it like in winter?

I used to run to work through the winter and it was usually fine. The wind goes against you when running from Glasgow to Paisley most days but I was usually more awake when coming home.

However, not sure if I am prepared to suffer the wind when cycling during the winter. I'm guessing its much worse than when running?

I use the bike all year, CS, though it had to stay in the shed during our spell of Siberian conditions last year. I took it out when the roads seemed okay but hit a patch of black ice and the back wheel went away from me. Fortunately it wasn't a bad spill, but the real worry is that this could happen when in traffic.

I also used the MTB last year, and will probably revert back to it depending on the weather this autumn/winter as it has more powerful brakes (hydraulic discs) and chunkier tyres. I'll be sticking a set of Shwalbe Marathon tyres on it as they are pretty bomb-proof, and this should hopefully allow me to ride to work in all but the worst weather.

Funnily enough, you get used to cycling in shite weather. Strong winds can be hellishly strength-sapping and demoralising, though. My suggestion would be to play it by ear. Don't completely scunner yourself by perservering in attrocious weather, but try to combat the temptation to jump in the car if it's a bit dark and cold.

I've got good intentions for the coming months, and as we've had to give up one of the cars due to financial constraints, I won't have the opportunity to buckle in the face of temptation to the same extent that I have had in the past year or so.

On your road bike you should aim for less than 4 hours every day of the week.

Having taken up cycling ony 5 months before last years race I did it in 3 hours 6 minutes on a hybrid for fecks sake!!! Route is really easy.

Got all my stuff on Friday including my chip etc for the bike, have looked through the route and the highest point is twice as high as the Challenge Route!!! Despite registering the day after last years cycle I am rider number 9000 and odd - not sure exact number, all the stuff is in the house but will let you know later!!

Just a case of me doing the maths- I tend to quite easily do 12-15mph so that is 4 hours. Plus I'll probably stop for a drink and a feed laugh.gif

3 hours odd on a hybrid sounds a very fast time given that is a 17mph average!

Just a case of me doing the maths- I tend to quite easily do 12-15mph so that is 4 hours. Plus I'll probably stop for a drink and a feed laugh.gif

3 hours odd on a hybrid sounds a very fast time given that is a 17mph average!

That would be the time with no stops.

I think it is more than possible to ride 50 miles without taking a break, but I also think that the idea in taking part in a ride like this is to enjoy yourself. I contemplated not stopping a second time when riding the Glasgow 100, but at 70 miles, I thought it best to have a wee break (and use the loo!). I'm glad I did, as the next 10 miles was tough going up a long drag and against a headwind, but from 80 miles on I felt good and reckon the stop had helped in this regard.

Just ride the thing and enjoy yourself would be my advice. You can always try to better your time in the future if you feel thus inclined.

That would be the time with no stops.

I think it is more than possible to ride 50 miles without taking a break, but I also think that the idea in taking part in a ride like this is to enjoy yourself. I contemplated not stopping a second time when riding the Glasgow 100, but at 70 miles, I thought it best to have a wee break (and use the loo!). I'm glad I did, as the next 10 miles was tough going up a long drag and against a headwind, but from 80 miles on I felt good and reckon the stop had helped in this regard.

Just ride the thing and enjoy yourself would be my advice. You can always try to better your time in the future if you feel thus inclined.

Yep, that was my cycling time, we did stop at the last place (Kirkliston) but only for a pee break, could easily have cycled on, think we stopped for 10 minutes or so.

Planning on stopping at the 50 mile stage of the 100 this Sunday to replenish the water bottles and then hopefully ride through to the end, will wait and see how we are at the 75 mile stage.

Despite registering the day after last years cycle I am rider number 9000 and odd - not sure exact number, all the stuff is in the house but will let you know later!!

I registered in August, yet I'm number 436.

Maybe they're numbering them in reverse order? blink.gif

I got my pack today - yay!

I took up the cycling this year because I was spending £40 a month on gym membership, then not being able to workout properly cos the gym was always packed. I stopped smoking 2 years ago and piled on the weight so I want to lose the belly. Unfortunately, I can't seem to give up the pies and fish suppers so, although cardio-wise I'm fit, I'm really just exercising to stop myself getting fatter.

It's been good working out mph and the like just to see that I'm not a total diddy, but I agree that all the different factors mean it's hard to get consistent results. On top of which, if I push myself too hard my knees give me too much pain for days afterwards.

If I do the challenge ride in 3 to 3 1/2 hours I'll be happy.

You might want to keep track of your resting pulse, I think its a better measure of health than weight or BMI or that.

If your knees are giving you troubles take a real long hard look at your cylcing posture especially seat hight

Also try to go down a gear or two when you are on any kind of hill, a higher candence (rate your turning the pedals) rather than a lot of power is often a good way of reducing knee pain.

However, not sure if I am prepared to suffer the wind when cycling during the winter. I'm guessing its much worse than when running?

If you have run in the winter then you should be able to bike in it most weather.

Really good overshoes can go a long way

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-neoprene-bike-bootie-overshoes/

(not recomending that brand particularly but giving you an idea)

And really good gloves are a must

Something like this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-extra-cold-weather-cycle-gloves/

The other thing that does get cold is the ears. If your ears hands and feet are dry to can brave out most weather. FWIW people cycle all winter in Canada and that gets hellishly colder than even Aberdeen

You might want to keep track of your resting pulse, I think its a better measure of health than weight or BMI or that.

If your knees are giving you troubles take a real long hard look at your cylcing posture especially seat hight

Also try to go down a gear or two when you are on any kind of hill, a higher candence (rate your turning the pedals) rather than a lot of power is often a good way of reducing knee pain.

At work so can't get the video to see if it mentions it but also look at how far forward it is. I believe that when the pedal is fully extended towards the handlebars you knee should be in line with the ball of your foot.

I've done most of this but still get a bit of knee pain- the problem I have is that I twist my knee (left one) when in the pedals instead of keeping it straight and it inflames the joint. I try to consciously not do it now.

If you are repetitively doing something that hurts the knees you really want to get it sorted. Its one of the few things that can cause injuries on a bike (other than falling off ;) ). Do you know why you do it? Might be something easily fixed, most times its about the shape of your bike set up.

If you are repetitively doing something that hurts the knees you really want to get it sorted. Its one of the few things that can cause injuries on a bike (other than falling off ;) ). Do you know why you do it? Might be something easily fixed, most times its about the shape of your bike set up.

I have ideas but need to sort it out some time. It is not that bad and only occurs occasionally- I think it is to me having too much lateral movement on my left upstroke from the pedal in the adjustment from mountain to road bikes. The fact it is only the left knee leads me to believe it could be me putting too much force through the left knee as I am right footed. Spent a lot of time getting the saddle height right but I'll have a look at that too.

Edited by flyingscot

I've had two punctures in two nights one front and one back, while the bike has been in my shed or in my G/f garge. I thought the first one was just bad luck but now there are two i'm beggining to wonder. I just fitted schwalbe R1 folding tyres and use continental tubes (well not anymore) the tyres say they can take up to 145psi, I had them up at about 125psi I was sure the tubes could have taken this as thats what they were at when my original Kendal tyres were on it.

On the plus side I got my stuff in for PFS, think i'll stop at lithgie for the free food and then right to the finish, maybe even cycle home to Bonnybridge if its a decent day and i'm feeling ok after the 47.3 miles

Edit - maybe the numbers are in alphabetical order?

Edited by JohnJohn

I've had two punctures in two nights one front and one back, while the bike has been in my shed or in my G/f garge. I thought the first one was just bad luck but now there are two i'm beggining to wonder. I just fitted schwalbe R1 folding tyres and use continental tubes (well not anymore) the tyres say they can take up to 145psi, I had them up at about 125psi I was sure the tubes could have taken this as thats what they were at when my original Kendal tyres were on it.

Are the punctures actually occurring while the bike is in O/N storage?

Seems a bit odd, that. Maybe the valves on the tubes are faulty. If you bought both at the same time, they could have been from a bad batch (though my reading of your post suggests they might have been used before). Can you find the cause of the puncture? The R1s are a good tyre and should have no problem taking 125 psi. Maybe you've pinched the tube when fitting the tyre to the rim? This is easy to do with minimalist road tyres.

yeah she was in overnight storage, you can imagine how gutted I was when I took my babe out the garage to see one of her implants had deflated. The R1's say they can take up to 140psi the valves were ok on the tube but the tube was blown to bits, I've noticed a big difference when cycling with the R1's they are faster, better roll and grip. I've only done about 50miles since I changed them and the front went after 40 and the back after the 50 mark. I was mega careful putting them on and think if I pinched the tube it would have went alot earlier than now, I'm trying some lightweight tubes as they are easier to carry around I hope they do the trick now.

yeah she was in overnight storage, you can imagine how gutted I was when I took my babe out the garage to see one of her implants had deflated.

:lol:

God knows what's happening with the tubes. Conti tubes should be plenty strong enough to withstand decent pressure. I use Specialized inners and find them pretty reliable, but, unless you buy cheap shite, a tube is a tube in my experience.

I use Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD tyres, and find it hard to fault them. R1s are a bit cheaper, and possibly not as durable, but they are good tyres by all accounts.

If the tubes were blown to bits, it does sound as though they've been defective/shite, or the tyre wasn't seated correctly, but as you've had the same problem twice, that seems unlikely.

:lol:

God knows what's happening with the tubes. Conti tubes should be plenty strong enough to withstand decent pressure. I use Specialized inners and find them pretty reliable, but, unless you buy cheap shite, a tube is a tube in my experience.

I use Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD tyres, and find it hard to fault them. R1s are a bit cheaper, and possibly not as durable, but they are good tyres by all accounts.

If the tubes were blown to bits, it does sound as though they've been defective/shite, or the tyre wasn't seated correctly, but as you've had the same problem twice, that seems unlikely.

Its Ultremo's that are on actually, Thinking about it! the folding tyres, I spent about 2 weeks deciding what to go for and it was R1 that popped into my head but that was wrong. I'll try a different brand of inner and see if it makes a difference.

Its Ultremo's that are on actually, Thinking about it! the folding tyres, I spent about 2 weeks deciding what to go for and it was R1 that popped into my head but that was wrong. I'll try a different brand of inner and see if it makes a difference.

I think there are different flavours of Ultremo, TBH. I'm pretty sure two of which are R1 and ZX.

ahh well it may well be the R1 folding tyre i have i don't think I bought the top of the range ones. but i'm impressed wit the schawlbe so may purchase a few new flavours for different seasons, I got a Yellow one for the fron and white for the back as thats how my bike's frame looks haha Pimped

ahh well it may well be the R1 folding tyre i have i don't think I bought the top of the range ones. but i'm impressed wit the schawlbe so may purchase a few new flavours for different seasons, I got a Yellow one for the fron and white for the back as thats how my bike's frame looks haha Pimped

They do an Aqua version - for wet conditions surprisingly enough :ph34r: . I'm not sure if this is a wee bit gimmicky, but I might check it out. Alternatively, I might stick my Conti Gatorskins on the bike when the really shite weather kicks in. Tyre choice is a bit of a dilemma as the seasons change, and they can be bloody expensive, too.

Vuelta on ITV 4 right now....18k to go....not on Eurosport , thanks to some birds playing tennis !:angry:

I missed the highlights last night as I was out at a gig. I'm trying not to check the progress so I can catch up later on so don't spill please :P