Official P&b Cycling Thread

Went out for a wee spin last night at around 7ish. Exploring a few rural lanes off the beaten track and landed in Croftamie. I opted to take the main route back which isn't the best due to blind summits and bends etc.

Anyway, by around 8pm it was getting decidedly murky, and though I'd had enough about me to fit the rear lamp, I could have been doing with a front flasher too. I was wearing my hi-viz Velo, but it was a bit nervy at times.

The nights are drawing in, boys and girls, time to dig out those lights!

Edited by Drooper

Front flasher? I use my front light to actually see, so always keep it static.

My rear light flashes, though.

Reasearch suggests that flashing lights (front and rear) are more visible to motorists. That said, steady beams assist with ascertaining distance.

You pretty much get two types of bike light. Safety lights to ensure that you are seen, and more powerful front lights to light up your path in the dark.

In poor light conditions when you can easily see where you're going, but aren't so visible to other road users, flashing lights are often recommended. This is why I used my rear flasher last night. I was riding in low light areas (tree-lined rural roads etc.), and, as I said, it is starting to get a bit duller by the back of 8pm. I didn't need a light to see where I was going, though. I just wanted to be more confident of motorists seeing me. Likewise for front lights.

Most front lights are wholly inadequate for lighting up your path in the dark.

I'd suggest taking a spare folding tyre, and a couple more inner tubes, TBH.

I've never toured or taken the bike abroad (yet), so always operate on the basis that, worst case scenario, I can always give the missus a bell to come and get me in the motor.

If I was going further afield without that option, or a bike store fairly handy, I'd always take a spare tyre as a temporary boot might not do the job. The biggest concern would be getting a puncture and having to ride with it for a hundred yards or so in order to stop somewhere safe. This can completely shred your tyre, and you're buggered.

Take a tyre boot as well, though, and a few cable ties and some gaffer tape (take it off the roll and wrap it round your pump or somewhere else out the way). Cable ties and gaffer tape can be a God send when it comes to emergency repairs.

Oh, and though it seems a bit obvious - remember to take enough money out with you!

Thanks Drooper :thumsup2

Thanks Drooper :thumsup2

Just had a wee look at this and Drooper has covered most things./however,sometimes it's the bleeding obvious you can forget.

Worth also considering the following

Security lock ( for when you nip intpo the wee cafes for your tea & scone)

Personal details.Hate to mention this one,but always a good idea to carry a wee list of details,emergency contact phone numbers etc,especially if cycling alone.Halfords do a wee kit which covers all necessary info you'd need to have,usually by the till pont and costs around £3.00,but hopefully you wont need it

Depending on how far you're planning to cycle in one go,it may be a good idea to take some energy gell bars or similar

A couple of spare brake cable;Take up no space,but good to have just in case

Have a great and safe time!

Just had a wee look at this and Drooper has covered most things./however,sometimes it's the bleeding obvious you can forget.

Personal details.Hate to mention this one,but always a good idea to carry a wee list of details,emergency contact phone numbers etc,especially if cycling alone.Halfords do a wee kit which covers all necessary info you'd need to have,usually by the till pont and costs around £3.00,but hopefully you wont need it

Depending on how far you're planning to cycle in one go,it may be a good idea to take some energy gell bars or similar

Aye, good shouts in there UtN.

On the ID issue, I invested in a iceID wrist-strap from these guys:

http://www.iceid.co.uk/products/WRIST-ICE-BAND.html

Might seem a bit OTT (not least as it set me back around 20 quid), but I opted to buy this after reading a moving post on a dedicated road cycling forum. The post was made by the wife of a cyclist who had failed to return from a ride one afternoon. Two hours after she had expected him home, she contacted the police, and discovered that her husband had been knocked off his bike and died as a result of his injuries. The police couldn't find any ID on the cyclist, so didn't know who to contact. This had apparently caused the emergency services significant distress, but must have been hellish for the family, not knowing what to think as time dragged on. Tragically, this cyclist lost his life, but this could equally apply to a seriously injured rider who lands up in hospital and is unable to provide details of loved ones. His family would want o know what had happened as soon as possible, and would want to be with him (or her, of course).

The woman who posted this was appealing to cyclists to carry some obvious and visible ID on them. Mobile phones are fine, but can break in an impact. Driving license in the wallet is helpful, but does this include contact details for your partner, and a note of any medical allergies etc? I wear my wee wrist band all the time when I'm out. I don't think it is too much to ask that I take some responsiblity for ensuring that anyone attending to me should I come to grief has my personal information immediately to hand. I suspect that anyone who read that woman's post, might feel much the same way. If I can find the link, I'll post it on here later.

UTN I've got a kit from Aldi which has cables and things like that in it along with some tools (it cost about £10) and as you suggested a security cable. I'm not cycling alone as there is a group of five of likeminded idiots. Our main aim is how many vineyards came we hit in a day within a 15 mile radius of our Gite (cottage) so look out for the news on a missing group of Scottish cyclists in France :lol:

UTN I've got a kit from Aldi which has cables and things like that in it along with some tools (it cost about £10) and as you suggested a security cable. I'm not cycling alone as there is a group of five of likeminded idiots. Our main aim is how many vineyards came we hit in a day within a 15 mile radius of our Gite (cottage) so look out for the news on a missing group of Scottish cyclists in France :lol:

Your only going as far as a 15 mile radius???

f**k me,you'll get by with a sticking plaster,an elastic band and hobnob!:lol:

Last training night before I head off to Palma on Thursday,so decided to dig in as much as I could.

Did 28 miles in 85 minutes,so averaged just over 19.7 mph,which I was really chuffed at as a few climbs on circuit we did 3 laps of and in some parts a stiff breeze against us.

Mind you,my legs are gowpin now,but no bad for an auld b*****d like me!

Glad I took Droopers advice on the Cube,its a brilliant bike

Last training night before I head off to Palma on Thursday,so decided to dig in as much as I could.

Did 28 miles in 85 minutes,so averaged just over 19.7 mph,which I was really chuffed at as a few climbs on circuit we did 3 laps of and in some parts a stiff breeze against us.

Good time there that man!

Enjoy your holiday :)

I've been enjoying watching the Vuelta ( well, until the Athletics and Tennis coverage fucked it up ! :angry: ) and listening to the Eurosport commentaries and the insight provided by Sean Kelly.

Now you guys seem to be doing quite well with your distances and times, but how about the info that Bernard Hinault would train with his team mates for a couple of days, then go for a 220 km. spin on his own ! Kelly described him, in the nicest possible way, as "an animal"! :D

I've been enjoying watching the Vuelta ( well, until the Athletics and Tennis coverage fucked it up ! :angry: ) and listening to the Eurosport commentaries and the insight provided by Sean Kelly.

Now you guys seem to be doing quite well with your distances and times, but how about the info that Bernard Hinault would train with his team mates for a couple of days, then go for a 220 km. spin on his own ! Kelly described him, in the nicest possible way, as "an animal"! :D

Impressive stuff indeed and it's not until you see what these guys ar capable of,that you appreciate how super fit they are.

Not saying Hinault was guilty,but the sport has been tarnished with the amount of illegal drugs used by some of the riders and although it's all been cleaned up a bit now,I think it still goes on to a certain degree.

I'm quite happy to stick to me cup of tea and scone for a wee energy boost :lol:

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Impressive stuff indeed and it's not until you see what these guys ar capable of,that you appreciate how super fit they are.

Not saying Hinault was guilty,but the sport has been tarnished with the amount of illegal drugs used by some of the riders and although it's all been cleaned up a bit now,I think it still goes on to a certain degree.

I'm quite happy to stick to me cup of tea and scone for a wee energy boost :lol:

Apparently Tommy Simpson, one of the first Brits to cycle as a pro on the Tour circuit, and who's death on Mont Ventoux during the '67 Tour de France was due, at least in part, to his taking "stimulants", had previously said that almost every cyclist in the peloton was "on some substance".

In fact, it seems that anyone who wasn't indulging, was viewed with suspicion and, in some cases, ostracized by the other riders.

Apparently Tommy Simpson, one of the first Brits to cycle as a pro on the Tour circuit, and who's death on Mont Ventoux during the '67 Tour de France was due, at least in part, to his taking "stimulants", had previously said that almost every cyclist in the peloton was "on some substance".

In fact, it seems that anyone who wasn't indulging, was viewed with suspicion and, in some cases, ostracized by the other riders.

Was it not amphetamine and alcohol that were found in Simpson's system? Terrible waste of such a talented rider. The culture around cycling has served to severely tarnish what should be a very noble sport.

Was it not amphetamine and alcohol that were found in Simpson's system? Terrible waste of such a talented rider. The culture around cycling has served to severely tarnish what should be a very noble sport.

You should read this!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0224061178/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Yeah, I remember the Festina thing quite well, and I recall that while there was som e "outrage" from outwith the sport, those on the inside seemed to accept the news with a " it's the culture thing " shrug.

So do we have to go back to the days when the guys were riding over cart tracks and welding their frames when they broke, to find a totally "clean" Tour winner ?

Try and get a look at "Death on the Mountain : Tom Simpson"..an excellent BBC 4 documentary which gives an insight into Tour cycling in the 60s.

ETA. Just checked and if you google the title, you can still watch this, albeit in six parts.

Edited by chuckles

Did 90 minutes on the turbo yesterday morning after my 50 miler the day before then also played 5's yesterday too.

Legs a little sore so having a rest day today then planning on doing that 75-80 mile cycle early tomorrow morning to get me prepared for the PFS Sportive as I might not get another chance before next Sunday.