Official P&b Cycling Thread

Your only going as far as a 15 mile radius???

f**k me,you'll get by with a sticking plaster,an elastic band and hobnob!:lol:

I'm hoping to average about 25 miles a day which will be not to bad considering that one of the group has just got back onto the saddle and is over 50 LOL

Well one very unwell youngster last night put paid to any thoughts of an early morning long cycle this morning.

Managed an extended Round the Forth route of 48 miles in 2 hours 45 minutes.

Very doubtful that I will now get out for a long cycle before next Sunday and will just have to trust my legs will do 100 miles!!

As a matter of interest, what age, weight and height are all you cyclists on here??

I am going to be 39 next Thursday, am 6ft 1 inch and now weigh a little over 13 stone. 2 months ago I was 15 1/2 stone and by cutting out eating nonsense and increased miles on the bike have shed some serious pounds.

The difference in getting up hills is phenomanal and average speed is improving all the time.

As a matter of interest, what age, weight and height are all you cyclists on here??

I am going to be 39 next Thursday, am 6ft 1 inch and now weigh a little over 13 stone. 2 months ago I was 15 1/2 stone and by cutting out eating nonsense and increased miles on the bike have shed some serious pounds.

The difference in getting up hills is phenomanal and average speed is improving all the time.

I'm 41 and barely over 5'6". I weigh 10 stone, so I'm built for climbing :P

Before using the bike to commute, I topped out at around 11 1/2 stone, so I've lost a significant amount, and would consider myself at my ideal weight. My resting heart rate is around 56.

TBH, I don't get too hung up on my average speed/time. Too many variables impact upon this to be an accurate gauge of your fitness or riding skill, IMO. All it takes is a head wind of around 15 mph, and you can easily lose 2 - 4mph on your average speed. Terrain can make a huge difference, too, and I'm not just talking about climbs and descents. A poor road surface can seriously slow you down, and worrying about pot holes etc. leads to more cautious riding. Traffic conditions have to be taken into consideration too. I suppose you can chart your progress if you follow the same route often enough, but I like to get out and explore on the bike.

My commute is a round trip of about 14miles. Outward bound (to work) I descend the hill upon which I live...at the top! My max speed will be around 32mph. Most of the remainder of the journey is then pretty flat with gentle undulations, before a climb to my workplace. I reckon my average speed for this is around 19 - 20mph. On the route home (I add a bit on to the morning route to break it up a bit), the trafic is busier, and I have to climb the monster hill at the end (at least 10% gradient). My average speed on the return leg is around 15.5mph. Factor in the weather, and how I'm feeling on the day, and the variance can be quite significant.

As a result of these factors, you won't see me referring to average speed or ride times very often on here (the 100 mile ride was an exception as that was a big deal for me). I'm more concerned about getting out in the fresh air, staying fit and healthy and enjoying the ride (oh....and staying safe!). I'm sure that applies to all of us, right enough, once the bug has bitten.

For me, obssessing over average speeds etc. is for racers and pros. I'm pretty relaxed about where I'm at in my riding.

BTW, if you can ride 60 or 70 miles, you'll have no problem with 100. Just remember your chamois butter! :P

ETA: forgot to add - riding in a group is generally considered easier in terms of maintaining a good steady speed than being out on your own, though I'm guessing there are technical skills that you have to acquire.

Edited by Drooper

Try and get a look at "Death on the Mountain : Tom Simpson"..an excellent BBC 4 documentary which gives an insight into Tour cycling in the 60s.

ETA. Just checked and if you google the title, you can still watch this, albeit in six parts.

Cheers, I'll look out for that.

Went out tonight to fix up the bike for PFS.

Gear indexing sorted (Paisleysaints supplied guide was a help!) and gear changes are best they've been for a while. Chain all cleaned and lubed (oh err) up, but noticed I have developed a wheel wobble with all the god damn pot holes. Attempted to fix it and got it fairly good- need to get a better tool for it and give it another go. It was a real pain, small tiny corrections to get things right!

Getting a bit concerned at the lack of news from the pfs people. I paid on the 9th Aug and got an e-mailed receipt saying an information pack would be sent out but I've received nothing. I emailed them a week ago, no reply and I've e-mailed them again this morning. Is anyone else having problems?

Oh - 44, 6'2", about 15 st.

Getting a bit concerned at the lack of news from the pfs people. I paid on the 9th Aug and got an e-mailed receipt saying an information pack would be sent out but I've received nothing. I emailed them a week ago, no reply and I've e-mailed them again this morning. Is anyone else having problems?

Oh - 44, 6'2", about 15 st.

NBB, I registered right after last years event and was also getting concerned about lack of info.

I wrote to Cycling Scotland on Tuesday this week and got this reply on Wednesday.....

Good morning Alan,

You should be receiving your pack within the next week.

Kind regards

William

Not exactly the wooly response I expected!!

Edited by monkeyblair

I got my numbers, t-shirt and information book in the post yesterday. That was for the challenge ride though and it was postmarked from a 3rd party that sends these things out I think.

IIRC Sportive riders get a chip for their bikes too and those that pay for transport will get tickets.

Sportive ride is 7am-7.30am start and challenge ride is 8am to 11am I think. Should be good- but if it is hosing down laugh.gif!

50,6 foot and 13 stone 12

I've lost 2 stone in last 3 months since I started road biking

Quite chuffed at progress I've made considering I'm an auld Cnut !

Currently in Palma and wish I'd brought my bike, however as celebrating 28th wedding anniversary don't think the wife would have been too pleased!

I got my pack today - yay!

I took up the cycling this year because I was spending £40 a month on gym membership, then not being able to workout properly cos the gym was always packed. I stopped smoking 2 years ago and piled on the weight so I want to lose the belly. Unfortunately, I can't seem to give up the pies and fish suppers so, although cardio-wise I'm fit, I'm really just exercising to stop myself getting fatter.

It's been good working out mph and the like just to see that I'm not a total diddy, but I agree that all the different factors mean it's hard to get consistent results. On top of which, if I push myself too hard my knees give me too much pain for days afterwards.

If I do the challenge ride in 3 to 3 1/2 hours I'll be happy.

Drooper - do you commute all year round on the bike?

I ask because I'm just getting into cycling and now cycle to Glasgow twice a week (to get the bus to work in Edinburgh). Its okay just now because weather is decent but what is it like in winter?

I used to run to work through the winter and it was usually fine. The wind goes against you when running from Glasgow to Paisley most days but I was usually more awake when coming home.

However, not sure if I am prepared to suffer the wind when cycling during the winter. I'm guessing its much worse than when running?

Got my Pedal For Scotland gear yesterday. One question i have though is how long is a decent time to do it in on a mountain bike, rather than a road bike?

It is 47 or 97 miles. I assume it is the challenge ride- the less of the two. In that case. . For me anything 4hrs 15mins and 5hrs depending on stops would be a decent time on a mountain bike as that is roughly10 miles an hour which should be achievable I think depending on tyres- (get slicks!).

I'm aiming for 4hrs on the road bike which I think should be achievable as 12mph-15mph is my usual speed.

Just out of interest my number is 3250 if anyone wants to say hello (as they fly past me :P)

It is 47 or 97 miles. I assume it is the challenge ride- the less of the two. In that case. . For me anything 4hrs 15mins and 5hrs depending on stops would be a decent time on a mountain bike as that is roughly10 miles an hour which should be achievable I think depending on tyres- (get slicks!).

I'm aiming for 4hrs on the road bike which I think should be achievable as 12mph-15mph is my usual speed.

Just out of interest my number is 3250 if anyone wants to say hello (as they fly past me :P)

On your road bike you should aim for less than 4 hours every day of the week.

Having taken up cycling ony 5 months before last years race I did it in 3 hours 6 minutes on a hybrid for fecks sake!!! Route is really easy.

Got all my stuff on Friday including my chip etc for the bike, have looked through the route and the highest point is twice as high as the Challenge Route!!! Despite registering the day after last years cycle I am rider number 9000 and odd - not sure exact number, all the stuff is in the house but will let you know later!!