Official P&b Cycling Thread

They do an Aqua version - for wet conditions surprisingly enough :ph34r: . I'm not sure if this is a wee bit gimmicky, but I might check it out. Alternatively, I might stick my Conti Gatorskins on the bike when the really shite weather kicks in. Tyre choice is a bit of a dilemma as the seasons change, and they can be bloody expensive, too.

I missed the highlights last night as I was out at a gig. I'm trying not to check the progress so I can catch up later on so don't spill please :P

Of course I won't spill, but don't miss it...best finish I've seen in a long time !!;)

They do an Aqua version - for wet conditions surprisingly enough :ph34r: . I'm not sure if this is a wee bit gimmicky, but I might check it out. Alternatively, I might stick my Conti Gatorskins on the bike when the really shite weather kicks in. Tyre choice is a bit of a dilemma as the seasons change, and they can be bloody expensive, too.

Haha well i'm going to get myself a a cyclocross for the winter i'm thinking about the Giant TCX 2 there are a few vairiations so i'll see what suits me best keeping the babe for the sunny days, the TCX or what I get will be my dirty bitch :lol:

I've had two punctures in two nights one front and one back, while the bike has been in my shed or in my G/f garge. I thought the first one was just bad luck but now there are two i'm beggining to wonder. I just fitted schwalbe R1 folding tyres and use continental tubes (well not anymore) the tyres say they can take up to 145psi, I had them up at about 125psi I was sure the tubes could have taken this as thats what they were at when my original Kendal tyres were on it.

On the plus side I got my stuff in for PFS, think i'll stop at lithgie for the free food and then right to the finish, maybe even cycle home to Bonnybridge if its a decent day and i'm feeling ok after the 47.3 miles

Edit - maybe the numbers are in alphabetical order?

That made me laugh like a fucking hyena!!

Well, that's rider number 9110 done his last training session before the PFS 100 miler on Sunday.

A quick 34 mile sprint in exactly 2 hours, 17 miles straight into the wind and rain was torture, coming back was a breeze :D

Really looking forward to Sunday now, have discussed tactics with my cycling buddy and we are going to try and tuck in behind a peleton of good cyclists and cycle like buggery to keep up for as long as we can. Slight change of stop tactic, going to stop at the first stop (25 miles) miss out the middle one and stop at the second on at 75 miles.

In total I will nearly top £2k of sponsorship for Scottish Cot Death Trust which is another real reason I am so committed to finishing.:D

Of course I won't spill, but don't miss it...best finish I've seen in a long time !!;)

Superb stuff! Loved it! I was shouting at the TV highlights :D

Have to say, though, Froome looked to have been cycling within himself doing his domestique duties for Wiggans, so I'm glad he is being let off the leash. Will it be too late, though?

Wind was a nightmare tonight wasn't it! I came out of a line of tenements and almost got blown right over the lane by the gust. So slow on bits of my run tonight down to it- just around 10 mins longer due to the wind. Mind you never done the couple of miles with the wind behind me so quick it was ludicrous.

Superb stuff! Loved it! I was shouting at the TV highlights :D

Have to say, though, Froome looked to have been cycling within himself doing his domestique duties for Wiggans, so I'm glad he is being let off the leash. Will it be too late, though?

Well, I think that there's only 7 secs in the Spanish guy's favour and since they were both pretty well fucked after that effort, it could be down to who recovers best. I suppose that , because of the age difference in his favour, we could expect the Sky lad to come out on top..but then again, the Spaniard seems to be a tough cookie so I wouldn't bet against him.

It looks like the next few days could provide some entertaining viewing....bring it on !!! :)

Looking for advice from expert cyclists here. Looking to get a new bike on the Cycle2Work scheme which is being offered through work. Am not a 'hardcore' cyclist but looking to get out a bit more and start cycling to work a couple of days a week and doing some at weekends too. A hybrid seems to be the best option and cost isn't too much of an issue as I will be paying monthly installments. I do want a decent bike that will last a long time. I was thinking about this one:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_777843_langId_-1_categoryId_165534#dtab

Any thoughts?

Looking for advice from expert cyclists here. Looking to get a new bike on the Cycle2Work scheme which is being offered through work. Am not a 'hardcore' cyclist but looking to get out a bit more and start cycling to work a couple of days a week and doing some at weekends too. A hybrid seems to be the best option and cost isn't too much of an issue as I will be paying monthly installments. I do want a decent bike that will last a long time. I was thinking about this one:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_777843_langId_-1_categoryId_165534#dtab

Any thoughts?

I'm no expert, far from it, but I'm happy to pitch in with my thoughts.

Boardman bikes seem to represent a lot of bike for a reasonable amount of cash. From reading other forums etc., though, there seems to be some questions surrounding Halfords after sales and expertise. I can't comment, so it might be unfair to point this out. Perhaps your Cycle to Work scheme limits you to certain retailers.

If you have a decent budget, you might want to look at bikes with hydraulic disc brakes. They tend to involve less maintenance and are generally more powerful than their mechanical counterparts. You could eaily pick up a very good bike with hydraulic disc brakes for around the £500 - £700 mark.

The other big question to ask yourself is whether you definitely want a hybrid. If you had time to trawl through this thread, you'd come across numerous posts where people are opting to swap to a dedicated road bike with drop bars. Having used both, I would take the road bike every time for commuting and weekend thrashes unless you are going to take your bike properly off-road regularly. Drop bars offer numerous hand positions and this helps (among other things) to combat fatigue on longer rides - bar ends on a flar bar do help, right enough. Road bikes simply shift quicker, too, and tend to be lighter (though not in all cases).

A hybrid might appear to be a more casual option, but you'll soon find that you are getting more and more into riding, and a road bike might be the way forward. That said, a hybrid might be a decent compromise option until you know how often you are likely to be using the bike, and on what surfaces etc.

All said, Boardman bikes seem to get very good write-ups, but I've read more reviews of their road bikes. Halfords don't always get great press, but maybe that is a bit unfair. Depending on how much you ultimately opt to spend, give a bit of thought to how long you are likely to be keeping the bike as your main ride. If at all possible, take a road bike for a test ride, too, and see how you get on with it. I suspect you'd never look back (well, unless you are turning right :P )

ETA: a word of caution on ride to work schemes. While you are paying up your bike, it technically belongs to your employer, and remains the latter's property until you make a final payment (now set around 25% of the bike's value if you want to pay up after the 'hire' period). Many emplyers will look to get round their employees having to make this final payment by effectively extending the hire period until the value of the bike is classed as a negligible amount, and they can pretty much give it away for nothing. This can extend to 3 or even 5 years. During this period, you are not supposed to sell the bike, so if you want to upgrade or swap to another type of bike (say, a road bike) you could be scuppered.

This is why I'd give as much thought as possible as to the type of bike you want as you could be in the position of having to live with it for several years.

Edited by Drooper

I'm no expert, far from it, but I'm happy to pitch in with my thoughts.

Boardman bikes seem to represent a lot of bike for a reasonable amount of cash. From reading other forums etc., though, there seems to be some questions surrounding Halfords after sales and expertise. I can't comment, so it might be unfair to point this out. Perhaps your Cycle to Work scheme limits you to certain retailers.

If you have a decent budget, you might want to look at bikes with hydraulic disc brakes. They tend to involve less maintenance and are generally more powerful than their mechanical counterparts. You could eaily pick up a very good bike with hydraulic disc brakes for around the £500 - £700 mark.

The other big question to ask yourself is whether you definitely want a hybrid. If you had time to trawl through this thread, you'd come across numerous posts where people are opting to swap to a dedicated road bike with drop bars. Having used both, I would take the road bike every time for commuting and weekend thrashes unless you are going to take your bike properly off-road regularly. Drop bars offer numerous hand positions and this helps (among other things) to combat fatigue on longer rides - bar ends on a flar bar do help, right enough. Road bikes simply shift quicker, too, and tend to be lighter (though not in all cases).

A hybrid might appear to be a more casual option, but you'll soon find that you are getting more and more into riding, and a road bike might be the way forward. That said, a hybrid might be a decent compromise option until you know how often you are likely to be using the bike, and on what surfaces etc.

All said, Boardman bikes seem to get very good write-ups, but I've read more reviews of their road bikes. Halfords don't always get great press, but maybe that is a bit unfair. Depending on how much you ultimately opt to spend, give a bit of thought to how long you are likely to be keeping the bike as your main ride. If at all possible, take a road bike for a test ride, too, and see how you get on with it. I suspect you'd never look back (well, unless you are turning right :P )

ETA: a word of caution on ride to work schemes. While you are paying up your bike, it technically belongs to your employer, and remains the latter's property until you make a final payment (now set around 25% of the bike's value if you want to pay up after the 'hire' period). Many emplyers will look to get round their employees having to make this final payment by effectively extending the hire period until the value of the bike is classed as a negligible amount, and they can pretty much give it away for nothing. This can extend to 3 or even 5 years. During this period, you are not supposed to sell the bike, so if you want to upgrade or swap to another type of bike (say, a road bike) you could be scuppered.

This is why I'd give as much thought as possible as to the type of bike you want as you could be in the position of having to live with it for several years.

Thanks for the reply Drooper, much appreciated. I can't ever see myself requiring a road bike as I intend to only remain a casual user. I forgot to mention too that I would like to possibly fit a child seat to the back of it to take the daughter out at weekends on occasion. I take your point about Halfords, I have also heard occasional tales about them and have my own issues with them. I once got a PC through a similar scheme at work so I roughly know how they work. I want to spend a decent amount on a decent bike which I want to hold onto for a long time.

Thanks for the reply Drooper, much appreciated. I can't ever see myself requiring a road bike as I intend to only remain a casual user. I forgot to mention too that I would like to possibly fit a child seat to the back of it to take the daughter out at weekends on occasion. I take your point about Halfords, I have also heard occasional tales about them and have my own issues with them. I once got a PC through a similar scheme at work so I roughly know how they work. I want to spend a decent amount on a decent bike which I want to hold onto for a long time.

If you're going to carry the kiddie and perhaps use a tow-along later, then a hybrid makes a lot of sense and the bike you're looking at would fit the bill well.

No worries, mate.

You are spot-on in looking for a do-it-all bike given what you're likely to be using it for.

Enjoy it, and keep in touch with the P&B riding community :)

I will do. My long term goal is next years Pedal For Scotland, but in the meantime I just want to get out and about and lose some of this gut!!!

The BBC weather forecast for Sunday when a lot of folks on here are taking part in the Pedal for Scotland events is heavy rain and 20mph wind.

On that basis, I'd put money on it being dry with a very light breeze, and a nice wee cooling shower if anything :)

Just back from a wee break and went out with club tonight.

Suffered a bit as first time back on bike in over a week and I've also had to go to the doctor as have a pinched nerve in my left shoulder,which is irritated by cycling.

I looked at my whole set up and as far as I can see,it all looks and feels fine,but obviously something is causing this ,as only happened since I changed bike.

Considered going to get a proper bike fit/set up, but a bit put off by the £130 cost!!

To be honest,Im treally guilty of not warming up properly before going out,especially arms upper body and shoulders and think this may be the route cause of this injury.

I'll keep popping the Iboprofen and make sure I warm up in future!

I didnt register for PFS,as being on holiday eating and drinking as I do,wasn't going to be the best prep,but regretting it a bit now.

Good luck to everyone taking part in Sundays events and I hope you all enjoy it and get round safely :)

Drooper gave some really good advice there and it seems like you are set on a hybrid especially if you are going to tow / fit a kiddie seat to it.

One thing to remember, even if Halfords is your only option for your Cycle 2 Work scheme you are not restricted to the bikes they have on show. Ask them and they will order anything in for you, just as long as they get the sale it won't bother them.

Just back from a wee break and went out with club tonight.

Suffered a bit as first time back on bike in over a week and I've also had to go to the doctor as have a pinched nerve in my left shoulder,which is irritated by cycling.

I looked at my whole set up and as far as I can see,it all looks and feels fine,but obviously something is causing this ,as only happened since I changed bike.

Considered going to get a proper bike fit/set up, but a bit put off by the £130 cost!!

To be honest,Im treally guilty of not warming up properly before going out,especially arms upper body and shoulders and think this may be the route cause of this injury.

I'll keep popping the Iboprofen and make sure I warm up in future!

I didnt register for PFS,as being on holiday eating and drinking as I do,wasn't going to be the best prep,but regretting it a bit now.

Good luck to everyone taking part in Sundays events and I hope you all enjoy it and get round safely :)

You would have been able to do the PFS on a trike.

Drooper gave some really good advice there and it seems like you are set on a hybrid especially if you are going to tow / fit a kiddie seat to it.

One thing to remember, even if Halfords is your only option for your Cycle 2 Work scheme you are not restricted to the bikes they have on show. Ask them and they will order anything in for you, just as long as they get the sale it won't bother them.

I think you can request bikes from independent retailers if you are looking for something specific and Halfords will deal with obtaining it from them. I just thought that the Boardman Hybrid looked like a good bike for what I am looking for, I shall keep investigating to make sure I get the right one for my needs. Cheers Mr Blair.

I think you can request bikes from independent retailers if you are looking for something specific and Halfords will deal with obtaining it from them. I just thought that the Boardman Hybrid looked like a good bike for what I am looking for, I shall keep investigating to make sure I get the right one for my needs. Cheers Mr Blair.

I tend to agree that the Boardman gives you a lot of bike for your money.