Official P&b Cycling Thread

Did a good run the other night MB,which you might be interested in and take in some coming from South Quensferry,as a few good wee hills,but on nice quiet road.

If you cycle along through Boness and head towards Grangenmouth,instead of following the A904 don into Grangemouth at the roundabout,go straight on into Wholeflats Road (A905) after about 200 yards,theres a road which turns up to the left,which takes you up past West lothian Golf Club.

We headed down into Linlithgow and back to Larbert,but there are quite a few options you could take heading back to SQ.to give you a good 20-30 mile run

I know the road very well given that I have been a member at West Lothian Golf Club for 30 years now!!

Only problem with that road is the surface is not very good.

You should have headed up to Beecraigs when you were in Linlithgow!!

The whole of strathclyde was pissing down i got caught in it it was ok early on but late afternoon i had to make a pit stop at the pub. hoping to get out again today

You will be pished out of your head if you are only hoping to get out of the pub today!!:lol:

I know the road very well given that I have been a member at West Lothian Golf Club for 30 years now!!

Only problem with that road is the surface is not very good.

You should have headed up to Beecraigs when you were in Linlithgow!!

Vic_Bob_Handbags_RE_Triple_Combo-s383x269-56957-580.jpg

When we headed back from Linlithgow it was 8 o'clock and quite dark.

The cycle from Linlithgow to Lathallan roundabout wasn't for the faint hearted.

Would have gone up Beecraigs if not for the fading light and the fact that the hills aren't steep enough!! :P

Fitted my Crud Raceguards to the road bike today. It was a bit of a faff and took me the best part of an hour and a half but they actually look the mutt's astonishingly enough. Stealth mudguards :lol:

Yet to test them in the rain, but they seem to fit well and don't rub or rattle (and weigh next to hee-haw). I had thought of changing to my Conti Gatorskins 25mm tyres for the winter, but there is no way I'd get them on with the guards fitted. The front has enough clearance but we're talking baw-hair width on the rear. I reckon this is why they look pretty good, as you'd hardly know they were on the bike - not least as my Cube is mostly black in colour, as are the guards.

I'm also swapping the ridiculously impractical white bar tape for some black stuff.

Anyone else pimping their ride for the autumn/winter?

Edited by Drooper

Fitted my Crud Raceguards to the road bike today. It was a bit of a faff and took me the best part of an hour and a half but they actually look the mutt's astonishingly enough. Stealth mudguards :lol:

Yet to test them in the rain, but they seem to fit well and don't rub or rattle (and weigh next to hee-haw). I had thought of changing to my Conti Gatorskins 25mm tyres for the winter, but there is no way I'd get them on with the guards fitted. The front has enough clearance but we're talking baw-hair width on the rear. I reckon this is why they look pretty good, as you'd hardly know they were on the bike - not least as my Cube is mostly black in colour, as are the guards.

I'm also swapping the ridiculously impractical white bar tape for some black stuff.

Anyone else pimping their ride for the autumn/winter?

My road bike will be given one last hurl on Sunday then packed away for the winter.

Back to the hybrid after that although the road bike may be brought out if we get some nice dry winter weather.

Still refuse to believe that mudguards of any sort are acceptable.:P

My road bike will be given one last hurl on Sunday then packed away for the winter.

Back to the hybrid after that although the road bike may be brought out if we get some nice dry winter weather.

Still refuse to believe that mudguards of any sort are acceptable.:P

Ah, but these are no ordinary mudguards. These are the type of mudguards that Batman would fit to the Batbike :D

Turned out the Trek 1.1 the shop were offering,was 20010 version and smaller frame size than they told me they had :angry:

However,went to a different dealer and got a great price on a Giant Defy 3,complete with winter mudguards,(Yes MB mock if you may,as I have done in the past,but an absolute must for winter group cycling,as when out in group,you get soaked if behing somenoe who doesn't have them!!!)

Pick it up at 5pm tonight :)

JohnJohn...is this the same as your bike???

Defy_3_Triple_yellow_black_GE.jpg

Thats the same one! copy cat haha

Has anyone got the iMapMyRide app for their phone (Android or iOS)? I downloaded it to track my ride yesterday and I was impressed at how well it worked. Didn't seem to strain the battery too much either. Gives you your route (obviously) as well as avergae speed, time, distance and also shows the elevation along your journey.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mapmyride.android2&feature=search_result

Has anyone got the iMapMyRide app for their phone (Android or iOS)? I downloaded it to track my ride yesterday and I was impressed at how well it worked. Didn't seem to strain the battery too much either. Gives you your route (obviously) as well as avergae speed, time, distance and also shows the elevation along your journey.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mapmyride.android2&feature=search_result

I use My Tracks on my HTC - sounds similar but I'll check this one out.

I use My Tracks on my HTC - sounds similar but I'll check this one out.

Is that the Google one? If so then yeah I think they are pretty similar. Might give the My Tracks one a shot tomorrow on the cycle to work and see how it compares.

I think so, aye. It's pretty impressive, and uses google earth mapping so is very detailed. It has numerous functions, and distinguishes between moving time and stationary time so you get an average moving speed etc. A very clever wee bit of software that costs hee-haw.

Got that installed tonight so I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow like I say. Certainly looks pretty good from what I've seen so far.

Is that the Google one? If so then yeah I think they are pretty similar. Might give the My Tracks one a shot tomorrow on the cycle to work and see how it compares.

I think so, aye. It's pretty impressive, and uses google earth mapping so is very detailed. It has numerous functions, and distinguishes between moving time and stationary time so you get an average moving speed etc. A very clever wee bit of software that costs hee-haw.

I'm using endemondo, but it sucks the life out of the battery on my Sensation to the extent it won't last if I do the 2 bridges. Anything over 3 1/2 hrs and it just dies.

My Tracks is quite demanding on the battery, too. I've used it for a 70 mile run and the battery still had a wee bit left in it, but if I was using it for a long sportive etc. I'd buy a spare 'phone battery as a back-up.

The good thing about endomondo is you can add your friends or p&b buddies and check out there cycles you can also enter challenges etc.

I also bought a portable battery pack off amazon which I always have when I go long distance which helps.

Edited by paisleysaints