Official P&b Cycling Thread

Um...my current MTB is a BSO from Tesco :ph34r::lol:

In my defence, though, I bought it 8 years ago when I was 16 (and embarrassingly I've only grown half an inch in that time so I still fit it). It's the brakes and gears that are a bit dodgy, and although I know what to do with the former, the latter are disc brakes and I haven't a clue where to start with fixing them.

In that case I'd bin it and buy another one :lol:

It may have been blowing a gale, but today's the kind of day I'm glad to be a cyclist.

Dundee city centre was at a standstill because the Tay Bridge was closed (attempted suicide, apparently), but I was able to coast past them all on the cycle path. Bliss.

After champing at the bit waiting on the weather to clear, two old Scots took to the road this morning.I was a wee bit apprehensive as I haven't been on a road bike since probably before some of you were born, and I'm about three stones overweight ! :P

However, while I'm not in very good nick, the opposite is true of the bike, and we were soon getting along at a reasonable (for an old guy ) pace and I found myself going about twice the distance that I'd planned and, although I'm now totally knacked, It feels great to be back on a good road bike again ! Cheers Drooper !:D

Now, weather permitting, let's get some miles in before next year's Etape ! :lol: :lol:

After champing at the bit waiting on the weather to clear, two old Scots took to the road this morning.I was a wee bit apprehensive as I haven't been on a road bike since probably before some of you were born, and I'm about three stones overweight ! :P

However, while I'm not in very good nick, the opposite is true of the bike, and we were soon getting along at a reasonable (for an old guy ) pace and I found myself going about twice the distance that I'd planned and, although I'm now totally knacked, It feels great to be back on a good road bike again ! Cheers Drooper !:D

Now, weather permitting, let's get some miles in before next year's Etape ! :lol: :lol:

I'm delighted to hear that your maiden ride was a success, Jim :thumsup2

The rear brake on the MTB is still screeching like a banshee despite my best (albeit decidedly amateur) attempts to resolve the problem, so I'm biting the bullet and taking it to the LBS.

Irritatingly, I wanted to test-run it after my tinkering last ight so used it for my commute this morning when it would have been a glorious day to take the road bike out having endured dire weather this week up till today <_<

I'm finding the contrast between the road and MTB difficult to adjust to just now. I just have to content myself that it will be ponderous progress on the MTB despite the slick tyres. It must weigh at least half as much again as the road bike, and the gearing is simply not designed for getting up to anything resembling 'pace'.

If someone had told me this time last year that a year on I'd be pining after my road bike after less than a week off it, I'd have laughed at them.

Edited by Drooper

Hi folks.......... My first post in this thread, hope I haven't broken any 'closed shop' rules....... ;)

I love to cycle when I can, but tend to do this in 'fits and starts' and no I won't even mention the weather !................ oops, sorry!

:lol: the BSO comment and fully understand the other comment re riding a tractor (MTB) after enjoying lots of miles on a road bike.

TBH, the rain disnae bother me so much, but the wind really yanks my chain (poor pun i know), why does it seem to change direction and be in yer face both ways......... dry.gif

Anyway, how typical for me to find inspiration to get oot on ma bike............. just as we approach November........!

Happy peddaling......clipped in or otherwise...!

Hi folks.......... My first post in this thread, hope I haven't broken any 'closed shop' rules....... ;)

I love to cycle when I can, but tend to do this in 'fits and starts' and no I won't even mention the weather !................ oops, sorry!

:lol: the BSO comment and fully understand the other comment re riding a tractor (MTB) after enjoying lots of miles on a road bike.

TBH, the rain disnae bother me so much, but the wind really yanks my chain (poor pun i know), why does it seem to change direction and be in yer face both ways......... dry.gif

Anyway, how typical for me to find inspiration to get oot on ma bike............. just as we approach November........!

Happy peddaling......clipped in or otherwise...!

Welcome to the thread, mate.

No closed shop on here. On the contrary, we welcome anyone and everyone, and you'll find no preening prima-donnas on here, just folks who love to ride in whatever manner they see fit.

Indeed, we've talked of setting up Team P&B next year and meeting up for a run, with a possible entry to a sportive type event in aid of charity (if we can find enough willing volunteer stretcher-bearers! :P )

Oh my all the way home I could hear click click click from the pedal, is it the crank just needing tightened?

Bottom-bracket possibly?

I don't know enough about bike mechanics to know what to suggest, TBH. It is something I'd like to get into - maybe sign up for a course of some description.

Welcome to the thread, mate.

No closed shop on here. On the contrary, we welcome anyone and everyone, and you'll find no preening prima-donnas on here, just folks who love to ride in whatever manner they see fit.

Indeed, we've talked of setting up Team P&B next year and meeting up for a run, with a possible entry to a sportive type event in aid of charity (if we can find enough willing volunteer stretcher-bearers! :P )

Cheers for the warm welcome, especially given the drop in temperature ootside recently!

I made a bracket clamp type thingy to hang the bike/s up to do some repairs and cleaning a year or so back and I highly commend something likewise for most repairs.

Aldi or Lidl?? had a bike tool kit which I bought a while back and it's worth it even for the chain link thingy and round headed allen keys..... there's lots of tools that you might need if the bike is elderly and typically it's missing the crank tool for hollowtech which is now popular..!

Remember now I'm new here, I did serve my time as a Vehicle Mechanic a long time ago, but 'pushbike' stuff is still a work in progress (a slow one at my age) so please don't take any of my rambles re repairs as gospel............... but hey, it might help......?

As for the rear brake squeal - you mentioned new pads and I presume are disc brakes - did you put some kind of lubricant on the backs when you fitted them? If not try again, but put some copper grease on the back of the pad and retry..........nothing ventured and all that....! ;)

The earlier comment re click click click does sound like either the bearings in the crank or pedals are either dry or worn ..... eliminate the pedals first (it's easier) and if it is the crank seek help from someone in the know, or the LBS.... this is much more complicated and depends on the type of crank that's fitted.

Enough ramblings from me for now.........

As for the rear brake squeal - you mentioned new pads and I presume are disc brakes - did you put some kind of lubricant on the backs when you fitted them? If not try again, but put some copper grease on the back of the pad and retry..........nothing ventured and all that....! ;)

Cheers for that. A friend had suggested that and even gave me the grease (that sounds a bit pervy, doesn't it :ph34r: ). I then read a few bike forums and they advised against this for bike disc brakes. The long and short of it is that I bottled it, as I'm not keen on the idea of any contamination affecting the performance of the brakes given that I live at the top of a mighty hill.

The guy at the LBS is a good bloke who, I'm pretty confident, won't rip me off. Indeed, prior to completing the Glasgow 100 mile sportive in August, I took me late father-in-law's bike there to have it checked over - a job for which he charged me all of two quid!

I'm certainly not questioning your advice, but as I'm hearing some conflicting views on this, I might defer to the bike shop this time.

I had to replace my bottom bracket recently. The clicking got louder under pressure (ie going uphill) but eased up and disappeared after 20 miles or so.

The guy at the bike shop's first suggestion was to whistle for the first 20 miles mad.gif

Took the MTB to the LBS to have the rear brake fixed.... seems fine now after a bit of decontamination work. A tenner well spent, but I'll be out another 50 quid as the bottom bracket is goosed. You can see the play in the cranks, so its only a matter of time.

This cycling malarkey can be an expensive business.

ETA: update - brake still quite noisy but I can live with it. It acts as a less than subtle bell in any event :P

Further to my previous moans about adjusting to the MTB, I'm already settling back into it. Maybe that old adage about learning to ride a bike extends to different types of bike, too.

I invested in a new pair of SPD (as oppsed to SPD-SL) compatible shoes from Cyclestore - one of my favourite online outlets. Pearl Izumi All Road (an odd name for what are, essentially, MTB/trail shoes). Anyhoo, they were a snip at £35 which is half the retail of £70, and having worn them this morning, I can say they are absolutely spot-on for that money.

Edited by Drooper

Been over working in Hong Kong last week and a half and flying back home tonight.

Me and a colleague,had one day off and went over to Lantau Island and hired a couple of mountain bikes for the day.

Did 25 miles in 30oC heat with 89% humidity,with some killer hills.

Not afraid to admit it,but 70% of the time was on lowest gear on the granny ring and sweated like a dyslexic on Countdown.

Without doubt the toughest thing I've done on a bike yet...by miles and absolutely wasted after it

The guy who was with me is quite a fit guy for his age,as does lots of running,but spent more time pushing his bike and cursing me for persuading him to join me :lol:

I'm actually looking forward to coming back to some good old Scottish weather,getting all wrapped up and taking to the roads on Sunday

Got my new bike lock today.

1233572161123-103lcthwk3r4u-399-75.jpg

This beast. The Abus Graninte. Big heavy but 8)

Have to park my bike outside a London uni so its like thieves central out their.

Woof! How much did that sting you for? I don't like parking my bike in town but if I do I combine a D lock with a protected metal chain. Seems to work well in combination.

Finally HR have processed my application for the Cycle2Work schemeand I can go and pick up my bike later this week. Can't wait to get out on it and see what it's like and more importantly get rid of some of the cobwebs from my legs

If you don't mind me asking, who are you doing that through? I did it last year and I think this is my last month of paying for the bike so I should be told how much I need to pay to keep it or if I get to keep it at all!