Official P&b Cycling Thread

I haven't entered for any organised rides this year and it is telling.

I've lacked discipline to get out, and my fitness level is pretty abysmal in comparison to the last two years.

That said, I communted by bike this morning, so all is not lost.

A goal for next year is definitely required.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm looking to get a turbo/cycle trainer for the winter months. Thing is, I don't have a clue about them like what would be the best for my MTB etc

I wouldn't want to spend more than £150. If anyone has any recommendations or advice that would be appreciated.

Amazon are doing this for £106 just now:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/resistance-trainer/product/review-minoura-b60-r-trainer-12-42691

Think I might pick one up, as my old trainer is gubbed.

Did you do the loop of the figure of 8 route

Just done round the Island, about 57 miles in total. Fancy trying the figure of 8 sometime but will probably be next spring unless we get a calm autumn.

Did you do Arran I had to pull out due to work. Still might get it in

My saddle broke the other day. First it lowered itself and then it just came off altogether. I've tried to fix it back on but the metal pole inside keeps slipping back in and I can't tighten it enough to stop it from happening. It also doesn't want to come out despite how hard I loosen the screw. Is there any easy way to get it out or should I just go buy a new saddle altogether?

Anybody else use Strava to record rides? I've just stumbled across it and it's excellent.

It's great - easier to get KOM's on MapMyRide though - and a more amusing name.

I use the MAPS 3D app these days. You download maps on to your smartphone using WiFi before you leave the house hence it's not using data as you cycle about - just GPS. Battery lasts much longer, you can create your own routes on routetoaster and upload them on to your phone also. Cheaper too as you're not using data.

Not as sophisticated an app - no autopause etc - but does the job.

Funnily enough I ride through Newburgh all the time - keeping a lookout for Malcky of course - I've always wondered what the Albert Bar was like?

St Andrews Sportive on Sunday - tough course again this year. I'm also heading to the Etape Cymru on the 8th of September for the first time ever - looks tough too.

My saddle broke the other day. First it lowered itself and then it just came off altogether...the metal pole inside keeps slipping back in and I can't tighten it enough to stop it from happening. It also doesn't want to come out...

Fnarr...

Sorry :ph34r:

Anyway, I've found out that when the next run of my employer's cycle to work scheme starts next month, it can take up to 4 weeks to get the certificate. Which is annoying, because I've been holding off getting my current bike serviced (still not good enough to to anything above basic stuff myself) but there's no way I'll not want that done before PFS.

Which is making me wonder if I'd end up saving very much at all - salary sacrifice + final value payment + (kind of unnecessary) service on current bike...some calculations required, methinks.

Just thought I'd point out there's a couple of very good sales on. Edinburgh bicycling co-op start theirs tomorrow - http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ and Flying Fox in Alva are having a clearout by the new owner, 25% off all stuff in the shop, even the stuff already reduced. http://www.flyingfoxbikes.com/

It's great - easier to get KOM's on MapMyRide though - and a more amusing name.

I use the MAPS 3D app these days. You download maps on to your smartphone using WiFi before you leave the house hence it's not using data as you cycle about - just GPS. Battery lasts much longer, you can create your own routes on routetoaster and upload them on to your phone also. Cheaper too as you're not using data.

Not as sophisticated an app - no autopause etc - but does the job.

Funnily enough I ride through Newburgh all the time - keeping a lookout for Malcky of course - I've always wondered what the Albert Bar was like?

St Andrews Sportive on Sunday - tough course again this year. I'm also heading to the Etape Cymru on the 8th of September for the first time ever - looks tough too.

Strava doesn't use data either mate, it integrates local riders too so gives you motivation to do better times on segments.

Albert is closed now, Malky is still going strong though!

How did you get on with the St A Sportive?

Beat my fastest average speed for the twenty mile undulating route out past Fannyside Loch and back via Slammanan Road. 15.4mph.

Hoping to go out with a local club next year for the first time if I can get a decent amount of riding/training through the Winter. I've heard if you can average 15mph on your own you could manage the slowest group. We'll see. :unsure: