Official P&b Cycling Thread

What's the 9-9.30 wave? They changed the start procedure?

Yes, the challenge ride has several "waves" of half an hour each - basically, start times. You choose from half hour blocks between 7.30(-8.00) and 10.30(-11.00), with no-one being allowed to go (officially) after 11.15.

However, the Drumpellier feed station is still closing at noon, so anyone leaving at 11.15 will have to go some to be allowed to keep their number on.

Yes, the challenge ride has several "waves" of half an hour each - basically, start times. You choose from half hour blocks between 7.30(-8.00) and 10.30(-11.00), with no-one being allowed to go (officially) after 11.15.

However, the Drumpellier feed station is still closing at noon, so anyone leaving at 11.15 will have to go some to be allowed to keep their number on.

Good, that is far better than the mess last year. Pleased the organisers have changed that one, because waiting 1 hour to start a cycle event was unacceptable.

I also pay zero tax on my car too. Guess is shouldn't be on the road.

I cant speak for the ones mentioned but the problem is most of the cycle tracks are not good enough.

They can be narrow, bumpy, filled with pedestrians and dog walkers, not direct, glass all over them or dark and secluded and a muggers paradise. Most people who design them seem to never use them.

If you are on the pavement paths and come to a set of lights you can have to wait minutes to get the 10s of green man. Or on road 70s of green light.

I regularly cycle from Paisley past Glasgow Airport. The cycle route is awful in quality. At a set of lights you have to wait in the middle of two lanes of traffic to cut over into a two way cycle lane on the left hand side if you can get across the traffic. It then disappears and spits you onto a non cycleway footway before putting you on to a bumpy road. At a roundabout at the airport they suggest you get off and walk around. The cycle lane on the road is covered in bushes and too narrow. You then get put onto a narrow pavement where you can't pass walkers and have to stop at junctions. I stick to the road.

On the subject of cycle paths on Thursday i cycled to work in Dundee, about half way there on the cycle path in an secluded part of it was a parked police patrol car in front of me,'must be trying to catch speeding motorists i thought' i had to get off my bike to get passed it and had a look in the window and there were 2 coppers heads back,mouths open fast asleep(this was at 6am) i woke them up with 'having a hard day' comment but i wish i'd thought to take picture.apart from that no other obstructions to slow me down though :)

gmckendry@sundaypost.com

My reply:

Dear Graham,

I've just read your article in the Sunday Post about "reckless cyclists". Can I just point out that your "investigation" failed to uncover the fact that road tax was abolished in the 1930's. I know Dundee is in a bit of a time warp, but that is pushing it a bit. Roads are paid for through general taxation. If you pay tax, you pay road tax.

As a car owner I pay Vehicle Excise Duty based on my vehicle emissions. Cars with low or zero emissions pay no VED. Perhaps they should also get off the road?

If there's a suitable cyclepath/ lane I'm happy to use it. You should see some of the ones I avoided on my cycle to work this morning. Usually filled with either potholes, drains or glass, why would anyone in their right mind use them? Not to mention the ones sited in the "door zone" of parked cars, or indeed the ones with cars parked in them.

Not wanting to make sweeping generalisations, but there are some awful drivers out there. I should know, some have run into me. This despite my bike having more lights than Blackpool, and me dressed in high visibility gear.

I hope your next article on the subject actually has some research put into it, and isn't a rehash of some anti-cycle lobby propaganda tagged onto some quotes from a mad woman who knows even less about cycling than you do.
Regards,

Okaydoke. I've came to the decision of selling my roadbike due to lack of use. I don't really know what the value of it is to be honest hence the reason I'm turning to the trusted cyclists on this!

Details;

Boardman Roadbike Pro (originally bought brand new in 2011) full carbon fibre. Ritchey rims with one barely used continental ultra race tyre and one brand new continental gatorskin tyre. Shimano ultegra pedals fitted however I do have a set of standard ones as spare. Crud road racer 2 mudguards and both front and rear lights fitted. I also have loads of accessories such as lubs, cleaning shit and a spare tube/puncture repair kit.

All parts of the bike are in outstanding condition and the approximate mileage of the bike will be around 1000 miles. I really haven't used it as much as I'd have liked and would much prefer someone took it off me and appreciate it like it should.

So, based on the above, what could I realistically get for it and indeed, would anybody want it?

Much thanks in advance.