Official P&b Cycling Thread

My plan today was to cycle from Kilmarnock to New Cumnock and back but I've woken up completely done in with the cold, most likely due to cycling in the rain on Wednesday.

Where's the best place to get cycling clothes? Particularly water proof trousers? A Sports Direct job or is there anywhere better?

Is that MPH? I just don't know how people are averaging that speed, is it a road bike you have?

That average is easy on a road bike providing there is no head wind. (And you are fit!).

Regarding your waterproofs, you should look into some tights. They're not (always) completely waterproof but they'll keep your legs warm.

That average is easy on a road bike providing there is no head wind. (And you are fit!).

Regarding your waterproofs, you should look into some tights. They're not (always) completely waterproof but they'll keep your legs warm.

Cheers, I've got a hybrid bike so that'll be why I'm not getting that speed. On flat ground with no head wind I reckon I must average about 12-14 mph, but usually my average speed all in is about 10.

If it's wet and cold I usually just go for shorts and overshoes. Tights just hold water against you and make it impossible to keep warm.

If it's only cold, then the tights come out.

If it's wet and cold I usually just go for shorts and overshoes. Tights just hold water against you and make it impossible to keep warm.

If it's only cold, then the tights come out.

Sorry cant disagree more.

If you buy a decent pair of bib-longs, they keep you nice and warm.

Granted they get wet,but dry very quickly and don't seem to hold much water.

Shorts and overshoes are fine to an extent, but going out in temperatures of 5oC or lower ?????.......................You're joking

ETA.If you don't want to spend a fortune, these are a great buy http://www.decathlon.co.uk/7-membrane-tights-black-blue-id_8282712.html

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Sorry cant disagree more.

If you buy a decent pair of bib-longs, they keep you nice and warm.

Granted they get wet,but dry very quickly and don't seem to hold much water.

Shorts and overshoes are fine to an extent, but going out in temperatures of 5oC or lower ?????.......................You're joking

ETA.If you don't want to spend a fortune, these are a great buy http://www.decathlon.co.uk/7-membrane-tights-black-blue-id_8282712.html

I'm generally fine unless we're below freezing. Provided I keep my hands and feet warm I'm pretty much alright.

Slipped on a wee bit of ice and have done my calf, Think a trip to A&E is in order here.

Hope you haven't done too much damage

Last year I was going out in all weathers and had a couple of near misses skidding on black ice.

I've decided no to take any risks this year and not go out unless I'm totally confident there's no chance of this happening again as its just not worth it .

Last year I was going out in all weathers and had a couple of near misses skidding on black ice.

I've decided no to take any risks this year and not go out unless I'm totally confident there's no chance of this happening again as its just not worth it .

Excellent point, it's time to pop the bike away in the Garage till June.

#staysafe

#saferoads

#bikescostlives

Went a run from Paisley into Glasgow today, over the river in the City Centre, along the Broomielaw etc, to the Erskine Bridge, and over back into Paisley through Erskine, Inchinnan and Renfrew. Beautiful day but the low sun worried me at times - in case drivers may have been blinded, Only problem was in trying to follow NCN route 7 in the south of Glasgow - markers seemed to disappear but we made our own route up, being familiar with most of the roads. 35 miles in all - you wouldn't think it.

Have torn my calf muscle. pain in the arse