Official P&b Cycling Thread

Having bought a set of Cruds for £30 a few years ago for my Winter bike, which proved to be flimsy and shite, just bought a set of these from Halfords for £10.

Much more substantial and infinitely better quality than Cruds.

Thoroughly recommend them for anyone looking to get mudguards for their road bike for Winter training etc

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/mudguards/halfords-essentials-road-mudguard

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Probably lucky if I've done 150 miles on my new bike since I got it in March, what a waste.

I'm working in Kinross on Thursday, anyone cycled round Loch Leven know what the path is like? I could probably take the bike on the car and fire round it before I start.

Its not a waste mate and don't pressure yourself about how much you do, or don't cycle .

At the end of the day, all it is, is going out on a bike and enjoying it and if you look after it properly, you'll have many more years to get out on it

Probably lucky if I've done 150 miles on my new bike since I got it in March, what a waste.

I'm working in Kinross on Thursday, anyone cycled round Loch Leven know what the path is like? I could probably take the bike on the car and fire round it before I start.

Cycled the Loch Leven path in August.

Fairly decent surface but speed is restricted by dog walkers and oncoming cyclists.

Very scenic in parts though.

Almost 13 miles in total.

It's for MTBs or Hybrids. I went round on my road bike once - not recommended!

If you pish yourself at motorists over taking at 70mph. Dont leave the urban 30mph world. Leave the rural roads to those who can handle them without crapping themselves including old grannies.

It doesn't help the cause of cyclists and cycling if we fight amongst ourselves, children. It's in the interest of all cyclists that we encourage more of us onto the roads and paths, regardless of bravery level.

Took them back and bought a set of Cruds!

Having bought a set of Cruds for £30 a few years ago for my Winter bike, which proved to be flimsy and shite, just bought a set of these from Halfords for £10.

Much more substantial and infinitely better quality than Cruds.

Thoroughly recommend them for anyone looking to get mudguards for their road bike for Winter training etc

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/mudguards/halfords-essentials-road-mudguard

They didn't fit :(

Took them back and bought a set of Cruds! :unsure:

On the debate about cycle paths, in my experience they are either: 1) well maintained and tarmac surfaced, but stop and start constantly and often run for stretches so short as to render them useless; or 2) essentially a rubble / mud track. Either way, completely unsuitable for serious road riding.

Personally I don't have a problem with riding on single carriageway roads out in the country with a 60 limit. In fact, I prefer that to in-town roads which are busier and you are constantly having to stop at junctions and traffic lights etc. But I wouldn't go on a dual carriageway. The guys that cycle down the A8 into Edinburgh at rush hour are exceptionally brave or fucking lunatics.

On the debate about cycle paths, in my experience they are either: 1) well maintained and tarmac surfaced, but stop and start constantly and often run for stretches so short as to render them useless; or 2) essentially a rubble / mud track. Either way, completely unsuitable for serious road riding.

Personally I don't have a problem with riding on single carriageway roads out in the country with a 60 limit. In fact, I prefer that to in-town roads which are busier and you are constantly having to stop at junctions and traffic lights etc. But I wouldn't go on a dual carriageway. The guys that cycle down the A8 into Edinburgh at rush hour are exceptionally brave or fucking lunatics.[

It doesn't matter if you're on a 30 or 70 mph road , if there're fuckwit drivers on it , it's dangerous

Personally I don't have a problem with riding on single carriageway roads out in the country with a 60 limit. In fact, I prefer that to in-town roads which are busier and you are constantly having to stop at junctions and traffic lights etc. But I wouldn't go on a dual carriageway. The guys that cycle down the A8 into Edinburgh at rush hour are exceptionally brave or fucking lunatics .

Pretty much agree with you here on all your points.

We also have the very brave guys on the A8 who go up the middle of 2 lanes of slow moving traffic.

Then we have the cyclists who ride about in the 'cool' all black outfits - the team sky stuff does a rider no favours IMO. I like to be seen hence where dayglo gear and I always have my dazzling back light flashing - day or night.

Bike arrived yesterday through the cyclescheme so this morning was the first ride ive had in years (literally). Just a fairly basic Ridgeback Anteron hybrid to get me to work and back. Nice bracing morning for it, pretty much downhill most of the way but the challenge will come at 4.30 when I have the ride home. Forgot how much fun being on a bike was!

Enjoy, be safe and watch out for twats from Perthshire ;)