Official P&b Cycling Thread

Cycled from Airdrie to Bathgate tonight, got there so early I ended up catching an earlier train. Got off at Edinburgh Park and added another 5-6miles as well. :)

Wind was erratic, but not that bad that it was a problem.

Do you go any other routes from Airdrie? I tend to do Bathgate and back (up through cycle path back on main road) or a 20 miler that sees me go through Greengairs, Slammanan, Limerigg then Caldercruix. Then a 35 miler that is Airdrie to Bathgate via Greengairs, Slammanan Westfield then back to Airdrie.

Was just wondering so I can add more routes.

First time on the bike in months this morning. Commute into work.

I had lost my road confidence after a long lay-off, and it took a fair bit of will to talk myself into getting back on the saddle (and yes....it hurt a bit :( ).

I was blowing out my arse after a route that previously wouldn't have even registered. A poor state of affairs, but overcoming the anxiety about getting out in the traffic again was the biggest hurdle. Fitness will come.

Apologies if I'm prying but why were you so nervous about going on the road?

First cycle of the year today, 23 miles from Glasgow to Glengarnock. Should have been 30+ to Kilwinning but my legs went. Still, I'm carrying at least a stone more than I should be so it's not bad for a first jaunt out in a while.

Just joined the pnb club on Strava. Went out for a ride today. Yesterday was a disaster, got 8 miles then got a puncture. I replaced my tyres as they were a bit worn out with newer more puncture resilient ones. I don't know if it was the tyres or the wind but my times were well out. Felt knackered today.

Do you go any other routes from Airdrie? I tend to do Bathgate and back (up through cycle path back on main road) or a 20 miler that sees me go through Greengairs, Slammanan, Limerigg then Caldercruix. Then a 35 miler that is Airdrie to Bathgate via Greengairs, Slammanan Westfield then back to Airdrie.

Was just wondering so I can add more routes.

Have you tried going up by Blackhill Transmitter, then down to Kirk O' Shotts? You can go left to Whitburn, then Blackridge and back. Another one is on the road from Limerigg to Slamannan, take the road to the right, up to the Heights at Blackridge.

Looking for a hybrid bike for the commute to work, anything around £500. I walked down to Evans Cycles tonight and the guy working there was just gormless.

Does anyone have any recommendations of shops in Edinburgh and/or bikes?

Specialized Crosstrail

Brilliant hybrid bike

Go for highest spec you can get for your £500

Specialized Crosstrail

Brilliant hybrid bike

Go for highest spec you can get for your £500

While I've not got a crosstail, I'd highly recommend specialized. I've got a hardrock (fitted with slicks for the road) and it's a great bike, and fairly versatile.

Thinking of getting a very cheap road bike for the summer if I stay at the same place of work. It's only 10k away so I've no excuse for not cycling more.