Official P&b Cycling Thread

Went out yesterday and managed 50.4km, first time I've managed to get over the 50km mark. Sunburnt to f*ck and utterly knackered today, perhaps a mistake going for it when it was 32c and not a cloud in sight.

Quick question i'm looking for a similiar type of app to strava to use while out cycling which gives turn by turn directions for any route you draw and upload? I use the garmin 500 which obviously doesnt have that fuction just wondering if anyone has used any similiar in the past? Edit to add voice navigation

Looking to spread my wings from the usual cycles.

Edited by paisleysaints

Quick question i'm looking for a similiar type of app to strava to use while out cycling which gives turn by turn directions for any route you draw and upload? I use the garmin 500 which obviously doesnt have that fuction just wondering if anyone has used any similiar in the past? Edit to add voice navigation

Looking to spread my wings from the usual cycles.

PS - I use Maps 3D - an iphone ap- there's the free version and the bells and whistles job which I think is £2.99.

I use a quadlock, a great bit of kit in itself, to attach the phone to the stem where you can easily read it. You create maps using bikeroutetoaster or some other programme and upload them to your phone by emailing them to yourself.

It doesn't give step by step directions but it plots a blue line that you follow - it's pretty foolproof. The beauty is you download the maps you need before you go out over wifi - then it relies on GPS to monitor your position. It gives you speed, altitude, distance remaining, elevation gain remaining and also plots the profile of the ride so you can tell if your near the summit of a climb - no more disappointment of false summits.

It takes a bit of getting used to - if you decide to have a bash and run into problems - PM me and I'll talk you through it.

We used it on my recent LEJOG run - 980 miles on back roads and it was faultless. A couple of the guys had new top end Garmins and the Maps 3D was definitely easier to follow. In fact one problem with the garmin, and you can probably switch this off, was that if you made a wrong turn it would automatically recalculate the route (like a car sat nav) - you might not have even noticed it had happened - the recalc then might add 5 miles on whereas you could have just done a u turn - or worse recalc you up some b*****do 20% climb you were trying to avoid.

Edited by Fifespud

Always try and start against a headwind so you get the benefit on the way back

Aye, but with a headwind on the way out I'm less inclined to go as far, even with the promise of an easy ride home.

Recently got a new roadbike, a Cannondale Synapse 105. I'm managing to knock serious time off my route. Cycling from Airdrie to Bathgate used to take me around 50-55 minutes, wind dependent. I've managed to get that down to sub 40 minutes, best time so far 36 minutes.

Decent piece in the Graun on the so called cycling backlash.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/01/sabotage-and-hatred-what-have-people-got-against-cyclists

I must've been pretty lucky so far and have yet to experience a really terrifying moment. *touches head*

I'm fairly lucky as my route to and from work is largely along quiet roads and cycle paths/lanes. There is some stupidity from cyclists, but there are plenty of drivers who seem to go out of their way to make life as difficult as possible for folk on bikes. There's no chance I'd risk going on the bike if I lived in somewhere like London.

Decent piece in the Graun on the so called cycling backlash.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/01/sabotage-and-hatred-what-have-people-got-against-cyclists

I must've been pretty lucky so far and have yet to experience a really terrifying moment. *touches head*

I'm not an everyday cyclist but I've had a couple of close calls. It is rare to be honest however I don't cycle all that often in the rush hour and tend to choose my route carefully which might explain why I'm lower.

Some of the helmet camera guys have some really bad incidents, however others seem to go out their way to exacerbate some minor situations that I'd let go.

Funnily enough the worst incidents I've had are with other cyclists being knobs! It pisses me off no end when you see cyclists just blasting through red lights or not using a decent segregated facility beside a road.

The only time I ever came off was when a dog walked in front of me on the cycle path. I was doing 3mph and didn't get my foot down quick enough!

I was cycling home last night and my rear spoke guard broke off. I think one of the clips was broken and it just slipped off into the wheel and shattered.

Is this something that should be replaced, or is it not worth the effort of taking the wheel off? Looking around online and there doesn't seem to be much consensus - on one hand, it's a cheap bit of plastic that's an arse to put on, but on the other it's better for that to break if the chain comes off instead of the spokes.

Edited by The Master

I was cycling home last night and my rear spoke guard broke off. I think one of the clips was broken and it just slipped off into the wheel and shattered.

Is this something that should be replaced, or is it not worth the effort of taking the wheel off? Looking around online and there doesn't seem to be much consensus - on one hand, it's a cheap bit of plastic that's an arse to put on, but on the other it's better for that to break if the chain comes off instead of the spokes.

Mine has been broken for over a year and I haven't even bothered taking the remaining broken bit off yet!

I am looking to buy a cheap as, road bike. Any suggestions?

I've been swithering about getting a road bike for a bit. Was looking at the Specialized Allez Sport in Evans. About £600. Was particularly looking at the fact they do credit at £24/month as that is never going to be missed.

Edited by Count Mongo del Fantastico

Check if your work are in a 'cyclescheme' or 'cycle to work' program. You get a set amount to spend (usually £1,000) and it comes out your wage, before tax either weekly or monthly. I ended up saving about £180 on what I'd have had to pay if I bought it myself.