Official P&b Cycling Thread

Best performance in training last night

24 miles in just under 64 minutes so around 22mph average , which considering conditions , I'm quite chuffed with

Time trial next Tuesday

You've obviously burnt off the Forfar Bridies........ ;)

Impressive and makes me more than a tad jealous.....:P

There's nearly 2000 posts on this thread so apologies if this has been covered before. I'm looking to get into off-road biking. I currently have a mountain bike which I've had, and not ridden, for years lying in the garage but I think it will still do a job for starters. Where is the best place to learn or experience off-roading for complete newcomers?

You've obviously burnt off the Forfar Bridies........ ;)

Impressive and makes me more than a tad jealous.....:P

Just burnt them off last week

But the drink Ive had tonight has more than compensated for them

Ps you've no idea how long that took me to type ! !!!

There's nearly 2000 posts on this thread so apologies if this has been covered before. I'm looking to get into off-road biking. I currently have a mountain bike which I've had, and not ridden, for years lying in the garage but I think it will still do a job for starters. Where is the best place to learn or experience off-roading for complete newcomers?

Anywhere off road!

There's also http://www.stirlingb...tb/dumyat.shtml

Edited by NewBornBairn

Any of the 7stanes. Kirroughtree being my favourite.

On another topic, has anyone got any good routes for road cycling leaving from south Glasgow that also has a decent bit of climbing too?

Any of the 7stanes. Kirroughtree being my favourite.

On another topic, has anyone got any good routes for road cycling leaving from south Glasgow that also has a decent bit of climbing too?

Whereabouts exactly in Glasgow?

Leaving from Shawlands. I've done a few out to Barrhead and Neilston which are ok. Just wondering if there a few gems of routes out on the moors.

If you fancy venturing a wee bit further, the Old Largs Road is great.

Done the trossachs 100k today just under 4 hours. Enjoyed the route. Some of the roads are bone shakers but the downhills were superb. Clocked under 2 mins for a mile at one point.

Drooper got a new helmet opted for a kask helmet very lightweight a little pricey but it was a part gift very happy with it

Edited by paisleysaints

There is a company at the Riverside called Recyke-a-bike, try them.

I got exactly what I wanted from there. A lovely road bike in fantastic nick for £80. Fairly old I suspect, but really light. First time I've had a racer (rather than a mountain bike), and first time I've been on a bike since about 2006! Probably didn't help that I took it for a wee spin for the first time at near enough 11pm, but regardless, I'm happy with it! Struggling a bit with the concept of using the drop handlebars rather than the flat ones, and I'm not used to the gears being on the frame rather than handle bars, but I guess that'll all come with practice.

Obviously nowhere near as fit as the rest of you guys on this thread, but it appears that thanks to doing plenty of exercise biking, I've still got plenty of power in my legs. Just a bit worried about my stamina, so hopefully I'll train myself up.

Apologies if this has been asked previously, but I was wondering if any P&B cyclists use a Garmin or some other GPS device to record their efforts? A workmate who dabbles in running, cycling, and kayaking uses a Garmin forerunner (It looked like a watch TBH)... and he was showing me how he logs his efforts on Garmin Connnect.

I was particularly taken with the altitude mapping, however I'm not sure that I can justify the cost (the Missus nearly collapsed when she saw the prices).........:P

There's also cycle specific devices (edge 200, 500 etc) and it gets a bit high tech for a simpleton like me..........;)

Any thoughts........?

If you have an smart phone, you can use sports tracker for free.

http://www.sports-tracker.com/

Uses your phone GPS and seems to be pretty accurate. Lets you upload your data and then really analyse it. Admittedly, I personally have only used it for walking so far, but a couple of my friends use it for cycling and swear by it.

Yes I wondered about this...... Only thing is I dont have a smart phone, I would need to steal the other-halfs and sure as fate I'd break it. Not worth the grief........:P