Golfers Thread

Gaz

I got Rogue irons, and they made a huge difference, so when I was replacing my driver, Rogue was always going to be the favourite.

I think the whole thing just proves how important a proper custom fit can be - some clubs will work for you, some won't, so you need to test it out.

I decided to shell out on quite a few new clubs this season and it's made a world of difference.

Replaced my old Taylormade Burner from well over 10 years ago with a Cobra F9 and my average distance from the guy's trackman went from 265 to 290ish.

Replaced my old Nickent 4 wood with a Callaway Epic Flash sub zero 3 wood which quickly became my go to club from the tee if I needed to hit a fairway, fantastic club.

Replaced my Taylormade 2 hybrid with a Callaway utility 2 iron which seems to suit my game far better than the hybrid.

Last but not least I replaced my ancient Callaway wedges with Titleist SM7s, 52 & 58 degrees.

I still play with 10+ year old Mizuno irons but tbh I still love them so will be sticking with them for a little while longer at least.

I think if you are playing with old clubs and fancy something new, the woods (especially the driver) are the area where you'll get most improvement with more up to date equipment. That's been my experience anyway.

Just had my first time on course, shot 64 on 9 hole course at brucefields. 30 over par for 9 holes. So annoying that i wasnt hitting the ball anywhere near as good as at the range. Can hit my 5 wood about 180 yards off the deck and was lucky to get over 100 yards today.

Just had my first time on course, shot 64 on 9 hole course at brucefields. 30 over par for 9 holes. So annoying that i wasnt hitting the ball anywhere near as good as at the range. Can hit my 5 wood about 180 yards off the deck and was lucky to get over 100 yards today.
It can be a tough game, mostly did you enjoy your round I can have my worse play but most enjoyable round with just a couple of great shots, yeah range distances and course distances can be wide apart, different lies will give mixed results in the beginning until your course management improves

The range can be very misleading, if you hit the ball just behind it on the mat it makes very little difference, but do it on the course with wet turf like it is just now then you will catch most things heavy. Stick at it, and practice trying to hit it as clean as possible.

Yeah i did enjoy it, played a great shot out the bunker and a few nice putts. Played another round tonight, got a par at the par 3 6th but overall didnt play any better. Seem to start terribly and only start relaxing after about 5 holes.

Its hard not to try murder the ball when you have a vast open space in front of you, need to start just focusing on hitting the ball consistently and forget what is in front of me.

Yeah i did enjoy it, played a great shot out the bunker and a few nice putts. Played another round tonight, got a par at the par 3 6th but overall didnt play any better. Seem to start terribly and only start relaxing after about 5 holes.

Its hard not to try murder the ball when you have a vast open space in front of you, need to start just focusing on hitting the ball consistently and forget what is in front of me.
Swing tempo is my biggest problem, especially when I try and use driver or woods, bad things happen because I try to murder it and swing far too quickly.

Do you do anything to warm up? I found a big improvement after I started hitting 20 balls or so in the practice net before I start.

I've started leaving my driver in the bag mostly as I can't seem to do anything about my slice with it.  The 3 wood isn't much better.  I've been sticking to my hybrid 3 iron off the tee.  I've taken some advice on my grip and am trying to get my right hand more closed over my left as I was leaving it really open.  Seems to be working but I now have the slight problem where I overdo it and my shots pull straight left.

To be honest, I get almost as much distance with my hybrid as I do with my driver.  I dread to think of the distance I'm losing with the driver because of my slice where a large part of the balls trajectory is almost at a right angle to where I actually want it to go.

I've started leaving my driver in the bag mostly as I can't seem to do anything about my slice with it.  The 3 wood isn't much better.  I've been sticking to my hybrid 3 iron off the tee.  I've taken some advice on my grip and am trying to get my right hand more closed over my left as I was leaving it really open.  Seems to be working but I now have the slight problem where I overdo it and my shots pull straight left.
To be honest, I get almost as much distance with my hybrid as I do with my driver.  I dread to think of the distance I'm losing with the driver because of my slice where a large part of the balls trajectory is almost at a right angle to where I actually want it to go.
I had a similar issue to you I now have the driver in the middle of my stance and I'm straight about 75% of the time o can still leave the club open but that's me over swinging , with having the club more to you front foot you already start you turn before impact cutting across the ball more you can even pull you back foot back about an inch and that will stop the cut/slice

Just back from that mearns castle driving range it has the toptracer in the booths on the range quite cool, the numbers were a little alarming considering I hit my driver way over 160y all my distances seemed to be on the short side, some decent feed back tho and better than the standard range

18 minutes ago, cas79 said:

Just back from that mearns castle driving range it has the toptracer in the booths on the range quite cool, the numbers were a little alarming considering I hit my driver way over 160y all my distances seemed to be on the short side, some decent feed back tho and better than the standard range

Last time I was up there I felt the distances were a load of shite.  The trace of the shape of the shot was usually pretty accurate though.

I've been to two ranges up here including the one at my golf club that have that kind of tech.

The Paul Lawrie Golf Centre has top tracer and I must say I thought it was pretty accurate. When I hit a good shot, it went around the distance I'd expect. When I hit a bad shot, it was a little short or long depending on the nature of the bad shot.

The range as my club has Trackman set up at it and it's really good too. Slightly different in that you have to install the app and use your phone as the screen but really helpful for making practice sessions more than just banging off 50 balls without thinking too much about them.

MacIntyre ends up one short for the third time this season as Paul Casey shoots a 66 to take the tourney.

MacIntyre shot a very decent 68 today but his 74 yesterday cost him.

He's now set to move into the top 100 of the world and has virtually secured a spot in the PGA at Wentworth in a couple of weeks.

MacIntyre ends up one short for the third time this season as Paul Casey shoots a 66 to take the tourney.
MacIntyre shot a very decent 68 today but his 74 yesterday cost him.
He's now set to move into the top 100 of the world and has virtually secured a spot in the PGA at Wentworth in a couple of weeks.
Aye it was a pity, his putting was poor yesterday, seemed to struggle with the greens getting faster and only managed one birdie all day. He'll also be disappointed that with 3 par 5s in the last 4 holes he could only pick up one shot today. He had long birdie putts on 16 and 17 that went close, as did a long eagle putt on 18.