Golfers Thread

Gaz

The old man had a few lessons with the pro at his club, and the pro recommended a ball type of the TrackMan data. 

Never seen my dad hit the ball so straight or generate so much spin off his irons. I know part of it will be down to the lessons, but using the right ball has definitely had an effect.

The old man had a few lessons with the pro at his club, and the pro recommended a ball type of the TrackMan data. 
Never seen my dad hit the ball so straight or generate so much spin off his irons. I know part of it will be down to the lessons, but using the right ball has definitely had an effect.

That’s pretty impressive. Wouldn’t mind something similar myself, think a lot people just pick balls because it’s what they can get their hands on rather than being best for them.

On another note, if anyone ever comes across a Tommy Armour Impact No.3 putter let me know.

The USGA and R&A have finally accepted that we can't just keep making golf courses longer to accommodate the players hitting it further year on year. They haven't really came out with any plans on how to stop that yet though.

One solution seems to be to allow a course or a competition to introduce a ball that everybody in the tourney has to use. Been rumours for a while that Augusta have been looking at a 'Masters" ball that would return the course to being played like it was supposed to be, with players having to use more longer irons for approach shots and making it harder to hit the par 5s in two.

The R&A's big fear has to be that if the weather is favourable next year, there could be loads of very low 60s and possibly even rounds in the 50s at the Old Course. With the extra distance the players have added since the Open was last there, it's little more than pitch and putt to them if there is no wind.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/r-a-and-usga-outline-plan-to-fix-undesirable-distance-issue

On 27/01/2020 at 21:55, Ro Sham Bo said:

Professional golf league, anyone?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51267311

Horrendous idea of a closed shop for a select few taken from a snapshot in time.

This is being instigated by Hedgefunds, Investment Banks and Management groups which should tell everyone that they're only after a quick pay day and of course it's Joe Public (ie, you and me) who will be the ones expected to pay for it.

From a purely Golfing perspective it would very soon become boring, we wouldn't see any emerging talent and frankly the whole thing just sounds ridiculous.

Guys like McIlroy & Koepka would be earning $50 million + p/a as opposed to the $20 million + currently, but when is too much ever enough ?? 

We're already pretty close to the tipping point of pay per view tv and something like this could well be the straw that breaks the proverbial camels back and of course throw in a little global recession and what tends to go first for people ???

So it's a resounding NO for me............

Horrendous idea of a closed shop for a select few taken from a snapshot in time.
This is being instigated by Hedgefunds, Investment Banks and Management groups which should tell everyone that they're only after a quick pay day and of course it's Joe Public (ie, you and me) who will be the ones expected to pay for it.
From a purely Golfing perspective it would very soon become boring, we wouldn't see any emerging talent and frankly the whole thing just sounds ridiculous.
Guys like McIlroy & Koepka would be earning $50 million + p/a as opposed to the $20 million + currently, but when is too much ever enough ?? 
We're already pretty close to the tipping point of pay per view tv and something like this could well be the straw that breaks the proverbial camels back and of course throw in a little global recession and what tends to go first for people ???
So it's a resounding NO for me............
Wasn't sure which way you were going to lean until that last sentence....

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:

The USGA and R&A have finally accepted that we can't just keep making golf courses longer to accommodate the players hitting it further year on year. They haven't really came out with any plans on how to stop that yet though.

One solution seems to be to allow a course or a competition to introduce a ball that everybody in the tourney has to use. Been rumours for a while that Augusta have been looking at a 'Masters" ball that would return the course to being played like it was supposed to be, with players having to use more longer irons for approach shots and making it harder to hit the par 5s in two.

The R&A's big fear has to be that if the weather is favourable next year, there could be loads of very low 60s and possibly even rounds in the 50s at the Old Course. With the extra distance the players have added since the Open was last there, it's little more than pitch and putt to them if there is no wind.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/r-a-and-usga-outline-plan-to-fix-undesirable-distance-issue

Saw this this morning as well.

Something definitely needs to be done. My fear for this would be that getting players, broadcasters and manufacturers on board will be almost impossible.

Particularly in America with massive wide fairways and shorter rough, a lot of courses just seem to be reduced to whacking a 320+ yard drive wherever you want followed by a lob wedge into the green. I think broadcasters argue that big drives are part of the spectacle of the sport (I don't really agree, drive and wedge golf is boring), manufacturers big selling point with each new rendition of a driver is more distance so I just can't imagine that conversation bringing wide ranging solutions any time soon.

I think a degree of the solution is making hazards like rough and bunkers more penal and narrowing fairways for tournament play but at some point the issue of the equipment is going to need to be addressed. 

On 04/02/2020 at 07:27, DigOutYourSoul said:

Ball will be the next thing I look at, got loads of prov1s from last season but also had some success with the NXT Tour S, which is significantly cheaper and also the Chrome Soft. Will be interested to try TMs new tour response ball which testing is showing to be brilliant compared to the premium balls.

What’s in the bag now going into 2020:

M2 2017 9.5 Driver 56g stiff stock shaft
M2 2016 15deg 3 wood reg shaft.

Cobra AMP Cell 19deg 3 Hybrid reg shaft.

TM P790 5-gap wedge 105 Nippon Modus shaft

56 degree Cleveland RTX
Cleveland HB Classic 3.0 Putter.

Obvious gap/issue in the bag is the 3H-5iron gap. 5iron normalised carry 175, 3H 195. So will be looking for a 4H and may replace with regular cobra with a stiff shaft something hybrid.

I'm one of those players that's never really thought about their ball. Generally use whatever someone gives me for Christmas until I run out and then buy something that's probably totally unsuitable. Will give it some thought ahead of this season.

I hoping to get fitted for some new irons in the next couple of weeks. Mine are ok but I believe they are too short for me having been fitted for new wedges and woods this time last year. Mine are over 10 years old now and tbh I'd just like an upgrade, something with a slimmer profile ideally. My current Mizuno MX200s have been terrific but they're quite chunky because I wasn't very good at golf when I got them. I'm better now and the target is to get my handicap <5 this year. I'm currently thinking either the Callaway Apex Pro or the TItleist T100. Have demo'd both and really like them, especially the appearance of the Titleist.

Will post a WITB once this process reaches its conclusion!

Saw this this morning as well.
Something definitely needs to be done. My fear for this would be that getting players, broadcasters and manufacturers on board will be almost impossible.
Particularly in America with massive wide fairways and shorter rough, a lot of courses just seem to be reduced to whacking a 320+ yard drive wherever you want followed by a lob wedge into the green. I think broadcasters argue that big drives are part of the spectacle of the sport (I don't really agree, drive and wedge golf is boring), manufacturers big selling point with each new rendition of a driver is more distance so I just can't imagine that conversation bringing wide ranging solutions any time soon.
I think a degree of the solution is making hazards like rough and bunkers more penal and narrowing fairways for tournament play but at some point the issue of the equipment is going to need to be addressed. 
You only have to look at Marc Leishman the other week, he only hit 3 fairways out of 14 at Torrey Pines, but still shot 7 under to win the tourney. That shouldn't happen. I really can't be bothered watching the bomb and gouge that you see every week on the PGA Tour, with the European Tour not much better.

Saw pictures on Twitter the other week, Augusta keep buying up land, and the latest project seems to be to shift the 13th tee further back to make it harder to hit the green with a drive and a mid or short iron. That's one of golf's iconic holes, but the equipment has made it irrelevant.

The circled bit is the 12th green and existing 13th tee, and Augusta bought land from the course next door, and you can see the new service road that has already been built. It's estimated it will make the hole 50 yards longer, but as usual Augusta are admitting nothing.20200205_203826.jpeg

On 27/01/2020 at 19:20, peasy23 said:

I've no doubt Bryson was only making an effort because the European Tour's stance on slow play is markedly different form the PGA Tour. No doubt when the PGA Tour finally warn somebody it will be some teenage amateur that will cop it.

Listened to the Mckellar Golf podcast today and they were pretty disparaging about Mickelson, partly because he is taking the cash to head to Saudi this week, but mainly because of his downward spiral with performances not coming close to the talk he is coming out with. One glimmer of hope for Phil is that he turns 50 right after the U.S. Open, so could play in the Senior event the following week. Once he slips outside the top 100 then he drops out of the WGC events, and I can't see any way for him to get back up the rankings.

Mickelson did well in Saudi last week and if things go well for him tomorrow he could easily win at Pebble Beach for what i think would be a 6th time. He could presumably be back into the top 50 of OWGR tomorrow. Good on him if he does that. He'll certainly be comfortably in the top 100.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

What balls I use is something I’ve never really considered. Tend to buy second hand decent ones, pro v etc. I hit my irons straight and my drives have a tendency to slice right. What’s the best ball for me?

It depends how far/hard you hit the ball and how much spin you generate. How far do you hit a 7 iron?

Mickelson did well in Saudi last week and if things go well for him tomorrow he could easily win at Pebble Beach for what i think would be a 6th time. He could presumably be back into the top 50 of OWGR tomorrow. Good on him if he does that. He'll certainly be comfortably in the top 100.
He always does well at the AT&T, the course set up in pro-am mode obviously suits him.

He always does well at the AT&T, the course set up in pro-am mode obviously suits him.

Yes absolutely the course set up suits him. My post really just in reference to you saying you couldn't see any way for him to get back up the rankings when last week and this  week (thus far) have clearly given him the opportunity to do just that. Plenty of courses on te PGA tour still suit his game I would think. He's clearly still working hard on his game.

Between 150-160

The best thing to do is try different balls and see what you like. If you hit the ball quite high and spinny, a 2-piece ball would probably suit you better (something like a Titleist velocity if you wanted to stick with Titleist). If you have quite a low ball flight or are happy with your ball flight then a 3 or 4 piece ball would probably suit you better (like a Pro V).

A golf ball is all about feel I think. I always thought that whatever ball gave me the most control around the greens is the ball I would use.

Seen some terrible shots in this final Round at Pebble Beach. Jason Day came up about 40 yards short at a par 3, then Mickelson and the leader both overshot the green by miles. Mickelson has also just hit a wedge into 13 that also ended up about 40 yards from where it was meant to, but has just managed to get up and down for par. Taylor leads by 3 with 5 to play.