Golfers Thread

Gaz

The best thing to do is try different balls and see what you like. If you hit the ball quite high and spinny, a 2-piece ball would probably suit you better (something like a Titleist velocity if you wanted to stick with Titleist). If you have quite a low ball flight or are happy with your ball flight then a 3 or 4 piece ball would probably suit you better (like a Pro V).

A golf ball is all about feel I think. I always thought that whatever ball gave me the most control around the greens is the ball I would use.

Cheers. I’ve been quite liking pro v and chrome softs

Nick Taylor wins, with Mickelson ending up in 3rd behind Kevin Streelman who hit a terrific 68 in tough conditions.

Streelman and Larry Fitzgerald won the pro-am for the 2nd time in 3 years.

Mickelson needed a share of second to get into the WGC in Mexico in 2 weeks time. (According to Sky anyway) it's top 50 on the OWGR for that, not the top 100 as I posted further up, my mistake. He might still get in if anybody calls off beforehand.

Nick Taylor wins, with Mickelson ending up in 3rd behind Kevin Streelman who hit a terrific 68 in tough conditions.

Streelman and Larry Fitzgerald won the pro-am for the 2nd time in 3 years.

Mickelson needed a share of second to get into the WGC in Mexico in 2 weeks time. (According to Sky anyway) it's top 70 on the OWGR for that, not the top 100 as I posted further up, my mistake. He might still get in if anybody calls off beforehand.

Great win for Taylor. I just love to see the pros struggle when the wind gets up. Short course, firm and small greens and a bit of wind shows it’s not just about bombing it a mile and getting the wedge out.

8 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

Most of the major manufacturers have an online questionnaire for ball fitting if you can't be bothered going for an actual fitting. It's reasonably accurate.

For example https://www.callawaygolf.com/custom-fitting/online-ball-selector/

9 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

You can also get an online tool on most of the major manufacturers sites, eg https://www.callawaygolf.com/custom-fitting/online-ball-selector/

This is worth a read too - https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

Great win for Taylor. I just love to see the pros struggle when the wind gets up. Short course, firm and small greens and a bit of wind shows it’s not just about bombing it a mile and getting the wedge out.
Amazing to see Speith put in such a cracking round given that he has struggled recently.

McIlroy goes back to World Number 1 despite not playing at the weekend. He is now only 1 week behind Nick Faldo for the 3rd spot in total weeks spent at the top. I would have taken quite a few guesses to get who is in second spot behind Tiger Woods for the most weeks at the top.

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

McIlroy goes back to World Number 1 despite not playing at the weekend. He is now only 1 week behind Nick Faldo for the 3rd spot in total weeks spent at the top. I would have taken quite a few guesses to get who is in second spot behind Tiger Woods for the most weeks at the top.

If it's who I think it is, it's his 65th birthday today.

If it's who I think it is, it's his 65th birthday today.
Thing is, it's not even close between him and Faldo as he has more than 3 times the weeks at the top that Faldo had, but he didn't spring instantly to mind. Which is strange, because I used to wear one of his straw hats while playing. [emoji85]

Just now, peasy23 said:

Thing is, it's not even close between him and Faldo as he has more than 3 times the weeks at the top that Faldo had, but he didn't spring instantly to mind. Which is strange, because I used to wear one of his straw hats while playing. emoji85.png

I knew he had it pretty much every week in the late 80s and early 90s, depite never converting it to Major success

Signed up for some lessons at Murrayfield in April. Three x 1 hour lesson package for £75 which seems decent value given a normal one hour lesson is £70. Hopefully go some way to sorting my haphazard driving.

You can also get an online tool on most of the major manufacturers sites, eg https://www.callawaygolf.com/custom-fitting/online-ball-selector/
This is worth a read too - https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

Cheers. I ended up going with these https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=38VLIQ1P7ES9H&K=13UYHGR80Q0SG&M=urn:rtn:msg:20200211212252ff2b5852dfc84e44b27bf51c4ff0p0eu&R=TAOI626JNHJC&T=C&U=https%3A%2F%2Fsmile.amazon.co.uk%2Fdp%2FB07MRRTMWS%2Fref%3Dpe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1&H=W29ICBSBMARVZ8RUKAN6T2GJUQ4A&ref_=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1 . Seem to get a decent write up for amateurs online. Will see how I go with them, first time I’ve bought brand new balls as tend to just pick up lake ones.

Inspired by @DigOutYourSoul and because I am bored at work my "What's in the bag for 2020" consists of the following rag tag group of clubs cobbled from Gumtree / Golfbidder second hand:

Callaway FT9 Driver (10.5 loft)
Callaway Steelhead Plus Fairway Woods (3W, 5W and 7W)*
Callaway Big Bertha Irons 4 - SW
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin Wedge (56 loft)
Ben Sayers XF Pro Milled Putter

Total cost of that lot was around £250. Maybe once I get better I will look to change the driver but I love the irons. Really forgiving and my iron play is okay considering my level. 

* As I am absolute piss with the fairway woods I tend to not bother with most of these when I play a round.

1 minute ago, RiG said:

Inspired by @DigOutYourSoul and because I am bored at work my "What's in the bag for 2020" consists of the following rag tag group of clubs cobbled from Gumtree / Golfbidder second hand:

Total cost of that lot was around £250. Maybe once I get better I will look to change the driver but I love the irons. Really forgiving and my iron play is okay considering my level. 

* As I am absolute piss with the fairway woods I tend to not bother with most of these when I play a round.

I've got:

Taylor Made RBZ Stage 2 Driver, 3w, Hybrid
Taylor Made Rocketbladez 3-PW Irons
Taylor Made 56' Wedge
An ancient Callaway Sand Iron that is covered in rust that I found in my dads garage
Ping Sigma 2 Putter that I liberated from my Father in Law's pile of putters that he buys and then decides he can't use. 

I did initially pick up a Titleist Scotty Cameron putter that he told me in no uncertain terms to put down.

Inspired by [mention=21072]DigOutYourSoul[/mention] and because I am bored at work my "What's in the bag for 2020" consists of the following rag tag group of clubs cobbled from Gumtree / Golfbidder second hand: 

You could look to replace some of the woods with hybrids which you might find easier to hit.

22 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

You could look to replace some of the woods with hybrids which you might find easier to hit.

Aye I have been thinking about that. I sometimes play with @alternative maryhill and he has a hybrid or two. Might see if I can grab one off Gumtree and hit a few balls with it to see how it goes.

Edited by RiG