Golfers Thread

Gaz

It's not a small green and it's a pretty short yardage, but it must look the size of a kitchen table from the tee.

Edited by Henderson to deliver .....

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Good start from MacIntyre today but he's dropped 5 shots since, going to miss the cut with plenty to spare.

Laird safely in for the weekend, Knox in at the moment but still plenty of holes to play.

Disappointing that MacIntyre has dropped back but paying the price for a sluggish start yesterday. 

Rory’s golf seems utterly ganting yet he’s still 2nd favourite for The Masters? What am I missing? 
He hadn't played all that badly up to this week, he has 4 top 10s this year, he was just doing his usual of chucking one stinker of a round in and doing nothing of note on a Sunday. He has played some dreadful stuff this week, he took an iron off the tee yesterday at one hole and missed the fairway by 30 yards or so.

9 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
28 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
Jesus. Sergio's yips back with a vengeance. Just had his 4th three-jab of the round with what looked like a missed 1 footer.

Brutal to watch. That 1 footer wasn't even close to dropping.

Two excellent putts on 16th and 17th at least. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Kane and the lemon cafe said:

He's missed then all left.   

I remember Garcia winning the British boys round Glenbervie in 1997.    He was waiting for the green to clear on the 1st.   

Didn't he get to +6 at one point? I think he was around that when he won the British Amateur.

2 minutes ago, Mr Kane and the lemon cafe said:

He would have been about that.   I remember Kevin McAlpine (who plays up your way) getting to +5.5  

tbh you need to knocking it round 6,000 yard courses in five or six under to consider turning pro.  

I played against Kevin in a Strathie League match (4BBB) in 2006ish round Kirrie. He was off +4 at that time. His partner was off 2, me and the other Kirrie lad were 4 and 5, so a bit of a mismatch.  Was relatively pleased to only lose 5&3 tbh. His ball striking was a joy to watch though - he just slung out massive high draws with driver and stinger-type shots with a 2 iron that were going 250+. He generally pissed about and was still about a few under through 15. His partner was basically a spectator. 

Some boy - hit it miles and told us "that's nothing, Wallace Booth carts it 30 yards past me". 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Good start from MacIntyre today but he's dropped 5 shots since, going to miss the cut with plenty to spare.

Laird safely in for the weekend, Knox in at the moment but still plenty of holes to play.

Knox needs to birdie the par five 9th (his last) to make the cut.

Edit to add he makes the birdie and is in for the weekend. Good man.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, alta-pete said:
Rory’s golf seems utterly ganting yet he’s still 2nd favourite for The Masters? What am I missing? 

He hadn't played all that badly up to this week, he has 4 top 10s this year, he was just doing his usual of chucking one stinker of a round in and doing nothing of note on a Sunday. He has played some dreadful stuff this week, he took an iron off the tee yesterday at one hole and missed the fairway by 30 yards or so.

I love Rory as a player. That said his decision making is awful just now.  His press conferences are full of how he's lost his mojo but also that he's taking the positives from elements of his game. He seems mentally all over the place at the moment. 

Edit to add as Peasy23 suggests  he has two gears on a Sunday, either neutral or rapid reverse. At least we're spared that this weekend.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I love Rory as a player. That said his decision making is awful just now.  His press conferences are full of how he's lost his mojo but also that he's taking the positives from elements of his game. He seems mentally all over the place at the moment. 
Edit to add as Peasy23 suggests  he has two gears on a Sunday, either neutral or rapid reverse. At least we're spared that this weekend.

He's being honest as ever here, but he has really made an arse of it chasing speed he didn't need.

41 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

He's being honest as ever here, but he has really made an arse of it chasing speed he didn't need.

Absolutely mental. His wedge game has always been his weakness, so it stands to reason he would try to get more length in order to hit more of them.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

How often would the golfers of P&B buy a new set of clubs? Mine are about 12/13 years old so planning to buy a new set this year.

Also, what are the thoughts on steel vs graphite? Current set are graphite but think I’ll go for steel this time.

Just depends on personal preference tbh. I last changed about 3 years ago, having had the previous set for 5. My mate who plays off 3 has had the same set of blades for 11 years, although he is considering changing at the end of this year. As for steel v graphite, it doesn't matter as long as you get a shaft that suits you. Recommend getting a proper fitting, although you might have to wait until Jason says that's allowed.