Golfers Thread

Gaz

He's had a career many players would have killed for, but like Monty looks like a major might be the one thing that eludes him. On current form well worth an ew bet at The Masters.

His interviews were great, said how he doesn't take it as seriously as some, but felt his legs were a bit tired today.

He's off to play Augusta tomorrow with his son who will also be caddying for him there in April. Seems to be in a good place mentally at the moment.

Yep he’s had a great couple of weeks and as you say seems in a great place. I tend to agree that he likely won’t win a Major but would be absolutely superb if he does.

Robert MacIntyre drops back to 44th on the OWGR. Martin Laird next Scot on the list drops to 96th.

Others...

Calum Hill drops to 155th
Marc Warren up to 164th
Russell Knox down to 217th
Scott Jamieson down to 219th.
Connor Syme down to 243rd
Grant Forrest up to 291st
Richie Ramsay down to 319th

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Robert MacIntyre drops back to 44th on the OWGR. Martin Laird next Scot on the list drops to 96th.

Others...

Calum Hill drops to 155th
Marc Warren up to 164th
Russell Knox down to 217th
Scott Jamieson down to 219th.
Connor Syme down to 243rd
Grant Forrest up to 291st
Richie Ramsay down to 319th

When is the cut-off for Masters qualification?  Surely McIntyre will not drop out of the top 50 before then?

Going to be abit controversial here - I don't like Lee Westwood - think it mainly goes back to the first Scottish Open at Castle Stuart on a rain (and landslide) delayed Saturday and he did nothing but moan about it whenever the cameras were near by.....it really was a poor show.

When is the cut-off for Masters qualification?  Surely McIntyre will not drop out of the top 50 before then?

Going to be abit controversial here - I don't like Lee Westwood - think it mainly goes back to the first Scottish Open at Castle Stuart on a rain (and landslide) delayed Saturday and he did nothing but moan about it whenever the cameras were near by.....it really was a poor show.

This is the relevant cut off with regard to Bob MacIntyre and the Masters according to Wikipedia.
19. The leading 50 players on the Official World Golf Ranking as of April 5, 2021.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Masters_Tournament

Each to their own re Westwood. One of my favourite players.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

This is for the following week. It's obviously not "locked in" as Tiger for one definitely won't be playing.

Yeah. They then put out another tweet an hour after the "locked in" one saying players have until 4pm on Friday to commit to playing.

Yeah. They then put out another tweet an hour after the "locked in" one saying players have until 4pm on Friday to commit to playing.
Poulter was 65th man in the rankings yesterday so I assume he will be first reserve. Van Rooyen was 66th and is in my fantasy team so I could do with another drop out, could be Koepka with his injury too.

**Fantasy Golf Week 10**

IMG_20210316_090150.jpg.672a0287eb97065fc8908eacd840a710.jpg

The Players

A near flawless tee to green performance form Justin Thomas over the weekend was enough for him to hold off Lee Westwood and Bryson to pick up the '5th major' at TPC Sawgrass. His 14th title since joining the tour in 2014, only DJ has won more in that time and he now sits alongside Tiger as the only men to have a major, a WGC and the Players in their trophy cabinet before their 28th birthday. He may very well be peaking at the right time after homophobic slurs and deaths in the family ensured a difficult start to the season.

Antoine Rozner followed up a win in Dubai in December with a win in Qatar this week, suggesting that he may be becoming a horses for courses desert player. No fantasy team took a chance on him though and it was left to Detry and Higgo to grab a handful of minor placings and points.

Thomas' timely triumph has given the leaderboard a bit of a shake. A poor week for many, but a good one for @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe and @Tartan Dave who have thrust themselves into contention for the Road to Augusta prize, with just 3 weeks and a x1.5 WGC still to play.

Standings 

627 (12)  ↔️ @J_Stewart

618 (12)  ↔️ @die hard doonhamer

567 (79)  ⬆️ @Tartan Dave

562 (119) @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

512 (12) ↔️ @alta-pete

503 (---) ⬇️ @lichtie23

501 (---) ⬇️ @Ro Sham Bo

467 (12) ⬇️ @peasy23

457 (119)⬆️ @Henderson to deliver .....

367 (30) ↔️ @Honest_Man#1

366 (---) ⬇️ @Distant Doonhamer

6ca39426200c5d107a4312bbf78470f4.jpg.b4b46454cf3e93a21f8fb717f50944d0.jpg

Points may be hard to come by this week. After a couple of months of high class fields, we can fit this week's OWGR top 20 participants into the back of an old Honda civic. World no.15 Daniel Berger and defending champion Sunjae Im seem most likely to prevail in the final leg of the Florida swing at PGA National. Host of the 1987 USPGA and the 1983 Ryder Cup when Europe came up just short when looking for what was then a first win on US soil. Designed by Tom Fazio, but more known for a remodel by Jack Nicklaus who incorporated the infamous 'bear trap' strech between 15 and 17.

The European tour embarks on a two week long safari to Kenya, with another weak field due to the higher ranked guys switching to the US with the WGC and the Masters on the horizon. With all this complaining I'm doing, it's being held at the appropriately named Karen Country Club.

The_Id_Like_Can_I_Speak_To_The_Manager_Meme.jpg.92853e4d8a39f2dd49bd5561dcbfd47a.jpg

10 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Martin Kaymer playing at the Honda Classic this week on a sponsor's invite, his first PGA tour event since August and only his second in two years.

Speaking as someone who has Kaymer in their fantasy team, I was hoping he might slum it in some of the diddy fields in Europe for the next few weeks.

So he’s got a 3’ putt that he knocks 7’ past the hole, then knocks the next putt (presumably to where putt 1 was taken) further away than putt 1 to 4’ and then comes up short on the way back? He’s been watching me, must have! 😆

Edited by alta-pete

First game of the year for me this evening. 9 holes at the Musselburgh Old course.

A 39 with 3 3's on the card and one stone cold top off the 6th tee. Delighted with that.