Golfers Thread

Gaz

Pishing it down at Carnoustie now.
Everyone in full waterproofs, except Louise Duncan who is still in her shorts

Fantastic 3 days over 54, -4 today with a couple of decent birdie chances left out there. Mon Louise, top stuff!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

9 hours ago, doulikefish said:

First time I played the dukes we walked I actually think we got lost a couple of times trying to find the next tee,I seem to remember taking the wrong fork a couple of times especially at the 2nd were we came out halfway down the fairway 

The walk between the 9th and 10th takes a good 5 minutes, and you could very easily get lost. I think between the 6th and 7th where you cross the main road is another good walk. We had let a 4 ball play through us who were using the buggy’s at the first par 3, the 3rd I think, then not even half a hole later had another 4 ball in buggy’s behind us again, but we just played to our own pace after that as we would have been letting everyone through. Would be happy to play it again but not somewhere I would rush back to, especially in that neck of the woods with so many other courses on offer  

10 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I'm not really a fan of the Dukes. Bit of a slog. 

Great playing at Kingsbarns. Well played.

Still to play there, need to do something about that.

I’ve been lucky enough to play some great courses in Scotland this year; the Ailsa, the Old Course, Prestwick to name a few…but Kingsbarns knocks it out the park for me. Some of the deals Bunkered are doing online at the minute means it’s not costing an extortionate amount to get on places like Kingsbarns, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. I love when you go and play these top courses and every bit of turf just feels special, daft stuff like the quality of the paths up to the tees and the general surroundings being manicured to within an inch of its life, it’s very noticeable now expertly maintained these places are. The Ailsa is very similar, every part of the course is immaculate and you are scared to take a divot out the turf, but you feel very privileged to be playing golf on them and that’s what makes them special. If you’ve not played Kingsbarns yet then I couldn’t recommend it enough, we really are spoiled with some of the golf courses we have in this country a couple of hours drive from the house. 

Also played in a Texas scramble at my home course yesterday morning, where one of the team decided he would go to the Rangers game on Thursday night and then go on a 2 day bender and not bother to tell anyone he wasn’t turning up for the golf, leaving us as a team of 3. That’s just absolutely standard behaviour for a Rangers fan and we shouldn’t have been surprised. We ended up finishing 3 under par in a round that included a treble bogie after all 3 of us stuck the ball out of bounds on our 15th. 

I did manage to get a 2 on one of the Par 3s, which got you a prize of £50 and some balls if you paid a fiver to the pro at the start of the round, but I didn’t and we got absolutely nothing. 

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Also played in a Texas scramble at my home course yesterday morning, where one of the team decided he would go to the Rangers game on Thursday night and then go on a 2 day bender and not bother to tell anyone he wasn’t turning up for the golf, leaving us as a team of 3. That’s just absolutely standard behaviour for a Rangers fan and we shouldn’t have been surprised. We ended up finishing 3 under par in a round that included a treble bogie after all 3 of us stuck the ball out of bounds on our 15th. 

I did manage to get a 2 on one of the Par 3s, which got you a prize of £50 and some balls if you paid a fiver to the pro at the start of the round, but I didn’t and we got absolutely nothing. 

Celtic underachieving due to lack of investment while simultaneously being upset by Rangers . Sounds familiar. 😉

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

21 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Celtic underachieving due to lack of investment while simultaneously being upset by Rangers . Sounds familiar. 😉

The worst thing about it was we were standing at the pro shop 10 minutes before our tee time ready to pay our fivers for the 2’s and another fiver for a beat the pro thing, and when we went in to pay there was a note on the door saying the pro would be back in 10 minutes so we just walked up to the tee. I don’t make many 2’s so I wasn’t particularly fussed, but i thinned a 5 iron about 190 yards to 6 feet which is just typical :lol: 

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Can't remember the last time I saw Louise Duncan hit a shot, yet we have seen every one of her playing partner's.

She’s in with a chance with 4 holes to play, although possibly the hardest closing holes anywhere on the planet. I see she is denoted as an amateur, does that mean she won’t receive any prize money in the same way that happens for the men’s Open? 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

She’s in with a chance with 4 holes to play, although possibly the hardest closing holes anywhere on the planet. I see she is denoted as an amateur, does that mean she won’t receive any prize money in the same way that happens for the men’s Open? 

Yip. She qualified as the winner of the Women's Amateur Championship

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yip. She qualified as the winner of the Women's Amateur Championship

Would obviously be a phenomenal achievement for her to win, but you would be absolutely spewing winning the Open as an amateur and getting sent home with the trophy and a thank you as the prize. 

Just went and had a look to see the prize money on offer for this…$870,000 to the winner is many multiples of what I expected it to be, pleasantly surprised at that. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

Would obviously be a phenomenal achievement for her to win, but you would be absolutely spewing winning the Open as an amateur and getting sent home with the trophy and a thank you as the prize. 

True, but I'd suggest if you turned pro tomorrow, the endorsements available for someone who could be marketed as "THE amateur who won the Open" might outweigh the prize money lost.

Good line a wee while ago from Laura Davies - they asked what she thought would be a decent score for the leaders today, and she said "Well I was 10 over earlier, so not that!"

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

True, but I'd suggest if you turned pro tomorrow, the endorsements available for someone who could be marketed as "THE amateur who won the Open" might outweigh the prize money lost.

Good line a wee while ago from Laura Davies - they asked what she thought would be a decent score for the leaders today, and she said "Well I was 10 over earlier, so not that!"

She’s just dropped a shot unfortunately so not looking likely to challenge. Top amateur is still a good achievement to take away. 

Fascinating battle between the Scandinavians at the top of the board. Doesn’t look like Georgia Hall’s 11 under will be enough to keep her in the mix. Another great round from Louise Duncan, composed and assured pretty much all the way round. Hopefully we’ll see a lot more of her after this performance.

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Hard to believe this only became a Major in 2001, but this week will have both the largest prize fund and largest winner's share ever for a women's event

I don’t follow the Woman’s tour very closely but I went and checked to see the prize money out of curiosity, and was surprised to see how much it is. $870k to the winner is about 8 times what I would have guessed it would be. Good to see though.