Golfers Thread

Gaz

Got The Kings tomorrow, wish I was looking forward to it but I'm playing as if I've just taken the game up, smashing all at the driving range but can't get a drive away to save my life. A wee night out up in Broughty Ferry and then an early tee at St Michael's in Leuchars before a quick blast down the road  for the Inverness game at home. We've got an hour at the range before we tee off, hope something clicks or I'm taking up bowls 😭

27 minutes ago, kilMARKnock said:

Got The Kings tomorrow, wish I was looking forward to it but I'm playing as if I've just taken the game up, smashing all at the driving range but can't get a drive away to save my life. A wee night out up in Broughty Ferry and then an early tee at St Michael's in Leuchars before a quick blast down the road  for the Inverness game at home. We've got an hour at the range before we tee off, hope something clicks or I'm taking up bowls 😭

St Michaels is a great course. Last 4 holes are very quirky and the par 3 15th is very pretty. 

36 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Makes a par but still a 60 on a course over 7400 yards par 72 is pretty special 

I’ve only been dipping in and out today but it looks like a course where even extremely errant drives aren’t punished, which obviously suits BDC down to the ground. The par 5s are just moderately long par 4s for him, evidented by him making birdie on 3 of them and an eagle on the other today, and 2 under on them yesterday. He’s basically 3 under par before the round even starts, and then has the advantage of hitting nothing higher than a wedge into the rest of the par 4s. 

He’s not going to be playing on courses like this every week, but say what you like about the guy, he takes advantage when he does. 

30/1 you could have got him on Betfair after Round 1. An American guy I follow on Twitter who tips golf bets was telling anyone who would listen to back him this week, but I never bothered. The same guy also tipped Kisner to win a couple of weeks ago at crazy odds so he seems to know his stuff. 

I’ve only been dipping in and out today but it looks like a course where even extremely errant drives aren’t punished, which obviously suits BDC down to the ground. The par 5s are just moderately long par 4s for him, evidented by him making birdie on 3 of them and an eagle on the other today, and 2 under on them yesterday. He’s basically 3 under par before the round even starts, and then has the advantage of hitting nothing higher than a wedge into the rest of the par 4s. 

He’s not going to be playing on courses like this every week, but say what you like about the guy, he takes advantage when he does. 

30/1 you could have got him on Betfair after Round 1. An American guy I follow on Twitter who tips golf bets was telling anyone who would listen to back him this week, but I never bothered. The same guy also tipped Kisner to win a couple of weeks ago at crazy odds so he seems to know his stuff. 
Radar just gave his critique of the course during the rain delay, and said that if the owners want to attract things like Ryder Cups or a US Open (which they do) then they will need to make huge changes.

Some of the points he made:

Fairways are far too wide
Rough isn't punishing enough
Hardly any of the bunkers are in play
The bunkers that are in play all have very low lips so present no problems to the pros.

29 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Radar just gave his critique of the course during the rain delay, and said that if the owners want to attract things like Ryder Cups or a US Open (which they do) then they will need to make huge changes.

Some of the points he made:

Fairways are far too wide
Rough isn't punishing enough
Hardly any of the bunkers are in play
The bunkers that are in play all have very low lips so present no problems to the pros.

I see this is it’s first outing on the PGA Tour. I’m far from a decision maker on the tour but would it not have made more sense for it to be eased in as a regular event, before taking the position as part of the Fed Ex Play Offs? I could probably Google this but what course has it displaced for this event? 

Tuned in earlier when McIlroy was struggling mid round, and he hit a fairway wood out the rough on a Par 5 miles through the green. If players are able to do that it would make more sense to me to call that hole a Par 4. 

Ive not watched enough to notice the bunkers, will take more interest over the weekend. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

4 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I see this is it’s first outing on the PGA Tour. I’m far from a decision maker on the tour but would it not have made more sense for it to be eased in as a regular event, before taking the position as part of the Fed Ex Play Offs? I could probably Google this but what course has it displaced for this event? 

Tuned in earlier when McIlroy was struggling mid round, and he hit a fairway wood out the rough on a Par 5 miles through the green. If players are able to do that it would make more sense to me to call that hole a Par 4. 

Ive not watched enough to notice the bunkers, will take more interest over the weekend. 

It's a different venue every year. Last 3 have been Aronimink, Medinha and Olympia Fields. All superior courses imo.

It's never really had a permanent home, last year was at Olympia Fields. It's also been at Crooked Stick and Conway Farms. A lot of the venues have returned very low scores too, Jason Day hit a career best 61 on his way to winning with a 23 under total at Conway Farms in 2016.

3 minutes ago, Proposition Joe said:

It's a different venue every year. Last 3 have been Aronimink, Medinha and Olympia Fields. All superior courses imo.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:
10 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It's never really had a permanent home, last year was at Olympia Fields. It's also been at Crooked Stick and Conway Farms. A lot of the venues have returned very low scores too, Jason Day hit a career best 61 on his way to winning with a 23 under total at Conway Farms in 2016.

I see, cheers. From reading the previews before the event started it seemed to be well known that it wasn’t going to be the toughest test of golf for these guys, and the fact so many people were tipping DeChambeau as well, it seems they were well aware the rough wasn’t going to penalise errant drives. 

I actually like watching DeChambeau play when he’s like this, I think he’s an interesting character for the sport and no other guy has shook golf up the way he has for years. Hes got the R&A and the PGA looking at ways to limit his distance and fellow pros slating the way he chooses to play the game. If he feels he can get the ball in the hole in the lowest number of strokes by bombing 340+ yard drives anywhere in the general direction of the green, and is then able to put in a score like he has today, then good luck to him. By all accounts, he practices like an absolute beast and studies the mechanics of the game in ways that no one else has done before. For that I think he deserves a bit more respect than he gets, even though he doesn’t come across as the most pleasant character on the tour. 

Another missed cut for Bob, no chance of him getting on the Ryder Cup team now, if there ever realistically was one. Watching Poulter last week it sounded like he knows he is getting one of the wildcard picks. Can see Harrington going with Garcia and one of Stenson or Rose for the other two.

What’s the consequences of Boab not getting a card on this Korn Ferry thing? Is he back to the European Tour with the odd PGA invitation? Obviously he’s already qualified for the Masters, but does he still need to perform well enough for the US Open and PGA? 

We actually bumped into him on the course when we were playing the Ailsa at Turnberry a couple of months back, got a selfie with him and he spoke away for a couple of minutes. Just comes across like a very very normal guy, almost seemed embarrassed that we had recognised him and asked for a picture. Weirdly, a couple of nights later I was at the driving range in Clydebank and he walked past me there as well :lol: think he was doing a video for one of his sponsors. He was everywhere I turned for a couple of days.