Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played in our Wednesday sweep today. Round in 77 for 37 Stableford points. Stellar front 9 with 21 points following birdies at 8th and 9th. I only get 3 shots on the back 9 but battled away for 16 points. Managed  at least one point on all 18 holes which is always pleasing. I’ll be cut after today and think I’ll be down to index of 5.9. My lowest ever is 5.7 so very pleased with that. 

Played really solid drama-free golf yesterday evening in the Midweek Medal, shot a nett 72 for 3rd place and the Handicap Index is now down to 5.3 with 9 (nine!) free hits to come.  Will be disappointed not to get under 5.0 now - just need 3 rounds under 80 at Ladybank to get there (that's jinxed it...)

On 28/02/2023 at 13:25, pozbaird said:

Played The Carrick at Loch Lomond on Sunday in magnificent weather. They hosted an open stableford competition called a ‘membership stableford’. Entry fee was £20 - a complete steal for that course. For your £20 you got entry to the competition, a bacon roll, tea or coffee, prizes for 1st to 3rd places, a closest the pin prize, long drive prize, and the use of a locker with your name on it… twenty quid. The ‘membership’ thing was that while eating your bacon roll, a Cameron House staff member gave you membership details and went through some discounted membership options with you. No heavy hard sell, if you were just there for the great deal, the lassie just left you a brochure and let you crack on. The course was fantastic, I was hitting the ball well, but the par 4s were a drive and still 220 yards to go. Par 5s for a mere mortal 11 handicapper like me. Never threatened the prizes in any way, shape or form. Can recommend keeping an eye out if they do this day again in Feb 2024. Took a photo from the spectacular steeply downhill Par 3 14th hole. I hit a cracking rescue club pin high, but three yards wide to the left of the green. Landed between the two bunkers to the left on my photo…Looked feckin’ ace as it majestically sailed through the air though… before tailing off. The basturt’.. 😀

1A8A7B8A-D00A-4834-A3C9-D1141D4657B5.jpeg

Im a member there, get a great discount through their 5 day scheme (i dont play at weekends anyway). I love the views and genuinely feel incredibly lucky to play there. I manage to get down about 2/3 times a week sometimes. Only took golf back up after 19 years or so away only playing now and again so trying to get into it. Shot my lowest round in years the other day (85 but getting better), which to be honest is pretty good imo for a hard course. It does play long, the par 5’s are absolutely 3 hits to the green and the par 4’s generally play long but im about a 6/7 iron into most of them so you can try and shape shots. Its the par 3s that kill me, i just have this god awful thing where im either sticking it to 5 ft or im reloading. If anyone from p&b fancies a game (midweek) i can usually get a visitor on free. 

15 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im a member there, get a great discount through their 5 day scheme (i dont play at weekends anyway). I love the views and genuinely feel incredibly lucky to play there. I manage to get down about 2/3 times a week sometimes. Only took golf back up after 19 years or so away only playing now and again so trying to get into it. Shot my lowest round in years the other day (85 but getting better), which to be honest is pretty good imo for a hard course. It does play long, the par 5’s are absolutely 3 hits to the green and the par 4’s generally play long but im about a 6/7 iron into most of them so you can try and shape shots. Its the par 3s that kill me, i just have this god awful thing where im either sticking it to 5 ft or im reloading. If anyone from p&b fancies a game (midweek) i can usually get a visitor on free. 

Did you used to be a member at Dumbarton? 

13 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Good start for Bob in Denmark. 

Aye, it’s just a shame Sky Sports cut the coverage with him playing the last 4 holes to show the John Deere Classic. We also wont see any of his round today as the coverage doesn’t start until 12pm. Over the first two days we’ve only been able to watch a handful of holes from the potential leader/leaders heading into the weekend.

I understand there are certain contractual rules as to when the coverage starts and finishes etc but to show daft re-runs and highlights all morning when there has been actual live golf being played for the best part of 5 hours (including guys at the top of the leaderboard) just seems completely daft to me.

6 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yeh up until i was 17, found it to be quite cliquey and there was a bit too much rangers/celtic stuff. Much prefer the carrick cos its run by cameron house and not a committee etc so customer service is spot on. 

I only ask as I'm sure I remember a certain Clydebank fan compliment me hitting a 7 iron during a junior coaching session when I was about 12 :lol:

Totally agree on Dumbarton, cliques everywhere and they have a daft "green vs blue" match every year. I just keep to myself.

Edited by The Moonster

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I only ask as I'm sure I remember a certain Clydebank fan compliment me hitting a 7 iron during a junior coaching session when I was about 12 :lol:

Totally agree on Dumbarton, cliques everywhere and they have a daft "green vs blue" match every year. I just keep to myself.

Must have been a great 7 iron mate! Well tbf i believe in giving folk a compliment if theres something good in their game. Golfers should build each other up, unless its matchplay then f**k everyone and get the mindgames going. Yeh I cant be doing with all that shite, Carrick i just turn up, play and get some good views whilst my balls fly off into the loch. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

Flag for ESP
ELVIRA, Nacho

-
-
Flag for SCO
MACINTYRE, Robert*

-
-
-
-
Flag for SCO
WARREN, Marc

-
-
-
-
Flag for SCO
RAMSAY, Richie*

-
-
-
-
decent leaderboard although Bob just dropped his first shot of the day

On 06/07/2023 at 11:23, funky_nomad said:

Will be disappointed not to get under 5.0 now - just need 3 rounds under 80 at Ladybank to get there (that's jinxed it...)

Called it - played like an absolute eejit this morning 🙄

Glad I played early, though - looks grim now.

34 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

Relative of my wife just qualified for the Open via Dundonald - Graeme Robertson.  Great story.

Iv had a lesson off him before. Seems a nice guy. 

Could have been me*

*except I'm shite at golf obvs

Watched this afternoon's play from Denmark and Bob was looking really good.  Ripping his driver off the tee (much, much better than at the Belfry) and scoring well. Double on the last by Elvira helped too obvs. Here's hoping Bob pushes on tomorrow and gets it done - this would be a great time in the season for everything to click.

13 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Watched this afternoon's play from Denmark and Bob was looking really good.  Ripping his driver off the tee (much, much better than at the Belfry) and scoring well. Double on the last by Elvira helped too obvs. Here's hoping Bob pushes on tomorrow and gets it done - this would be a great time in the season for everything to click.

His drive up the last was a beauty after what Elvira did.