Golfers Thread

Gaz

18 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It’s hard to even imagine what their lives must have been like during that time, or if they were aware what sort of impact they would have on the game. It sounds like they made a good earning from it anyway, but I wonder if they realised at the time just how long lasting and influential their designs would be to the game of golf in 2023. Obviously it’s a complete non starter due to all of them being dead, but how fascinating would it be if you could show them what the game has become…and as you say all stemming from the natural environment that they found before them on the Scottish coastlines.

It makes you wonder just how far detached the game could become from what we know it as now. In the year 2300 will people be watching clips of Tiger Woods in the same way we look at Old Tom Morris. It’s a fascinating thought. 

They'd be shocked at the difference in distance and equipment which has meant some of their courses being considerably altered and lengthened.

14 hours ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Aye, love golf architecture stuff and the way it's developed from what was basically nature and someone thinking it would be fun to try and hit a ball from here to over there in x amount of blows.

Don't think Braid made that much but he had side gigs. All the money was in America in the boom in the 20's and 30's. Braid got paid 20 quid with 7 quid expenses to redesign La Moye in Jersey in 1934, about £2,400 in total today. Mackenzie built Cypress Point for $90,000 in 1929 after they had been quoted up to $150,000 by other architects. 90 grand is equivalent to around $1.8 million today.

Braid designed Hayston in Kirkintilloch as a favour to a pal, but the committee insisted on paying him the princely sum of £5

13 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

New set of irons purchased today, Cobra King Forged Tec Copper 4-PW, Firm flex Project X 5.5. Decent at £385.

Looking forward to trying them out 

Are they the Rickie Fowler ones with the intimidating topline that looks about as wide as a sheet of paper?

Edited by Mark Connolly

41 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Are they the Rickie Fowler ones with the intimidating topline that looks about as wide as a sheet of paper?

Nah, these are more a muscle back look, foam filled cavity.

Played Erskine for the first time today. 105, absolute donkey although because I knew the round was gone I was trying shots I normally wouldn't. 

Nice course though but the hill at 18 was tortuous! Thought I was going to have a stroke, still not as bad as Fereneze though. 

9 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Playing Piperdam today in the semi final of the local club league (Strathmore League)

This was the course yesterday 😞

b5aa827b-535a-4044-9d48-7750ec4a10ef.jpeg

Hope it cleared up for you. The bunkers were quite compacted on Friday because of the rain there had been. Was nice and dry yesterday and today though so hopefully they were back in play! Hope you also enjoyed the creative weed killer vandalism in a couple of the greens…

46 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Hope it cleared up for you. The bunkers were quite compacted on Friday because of the rain there had been. Was nice and dry yesterday and today though so hopefully they were back in play! Hope you also enjoyed the creative weed killer vandalism in a couple of the greens…

I kinda noticed the vandalism!

All bunkers were GUR. We lost our game 2&1 even tho we short a Nett 62 (2+ scratch). The 14 handicapper we played was 2- through 5 and drained an 80 foot putt for the half on 8! 
We are through ti the final anyway. 3.5-2.5 win

IMG_7945.jpeg

Edited by lichtie23

54 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I kinda noticed the vandalism!

All bunkers were GUR. We lost our game 2&1 even tho we short a Nett 62 (2+ scratch). The 14 handicapper we played was 2- through 5 and drained an 80 foot putt for the half on 8! 
We are through ti the final anyway. 3.5-2.5 win

IMG_7945.jpeg

Yeah that’s the vandalism I was thinking of 😅

An 80 foot putt on 8?! Was the flag still right at the bottom of the green by the water? That is a hell of a putt down that slope.

18 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Yeah that’s the vandalism I was thinking of 😅

An 80 foot putt on 8?! Was the flag still right at the bottom of the green by the water? That is a hell of a putt down that slope.

Par 5 by the water? That’s 8 isn’t it? Pin was back right and he was short of the green and putted it 

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Par 5 by the water? That’s 8 isn’t it? Pin was back right and he was short of the green and putted it 

Yeah that’s the one. That’s a shot I’m often left with - I usually try to approach to the left of the green and get a bounce off the slope down and on but if you’re short you end up with a monster putt or a chip down a massive hill. Knocking one from there is incredible.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Yeah that’s the one. That’s a shot I’m often left with - I usually try to approach to the left of the green and get a bounce off the slope down and on but if you’re short you end up with a monster putt or a chip down a massive hill. Knocking one from there is incredible.

Incredibly frustrating!