Golfers Thread

Gaz

18 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

That quad was classic Bob.  I'm always the pessimist but I'm not sure he's playing consistently well enough to hang on to the 3rd spot. He's had a bang average season with one well-timed great tournament at the Scottish.  I think he'll end up hoping for a pick - and there's maybe a 50/50 chance of that.  Hopefully if he needs one, Donald will remember that he makes lots of birdies along with the odd disaster which wouldn't matter in a RC fourball tie. 

I've always thought this was something that might work in his favour if he needs a pick. His game is well suited to matchplay and as long as he can show some decent form in the run up it might be enough to ensure he gets a pick if he finishes just outside the top 6.

3 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

He’s up to third again after a great start to his round again - that quad has probably cost him a run at this event but at least demonstrated that bounce back ability once again.

Yeah I think that's what will stand him in good stead for a pick it he needs one. If he can show that he can shrug off the odd aberration and not let it affect him that's a big plus for matchplay. 

5 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Bob cards another 66, so good recovery from yesterday. Something similar tomorrow should hopefully see him inside the top 10. 

Great round after yesterday's shenanigans on 16. His closest two rivals at the moment are Paul and Meronk, he starts on the same score as Paul tomorrow while Meronk hit 77 today to drop back to -3.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Just got blocked by Phil Mickleson for asking him his thoughts on the Saudi’s sentencing someone to death for sending a tweet criticising the regime. Lol. 

IMG_2548.png

Something something growing the game of golf......

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Something something growing the game of golf......

Yep. I find it amazing how someone like Phil has totally fucked his reputation. Going from supporter of 9/11 families to supporter of the people who funded it. Absolute weapon of a man and he should be reminded of it every fucking tweet. 

6 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yep. I find it amazing how someone like Phil has totally fucked his reputation. Going from supporter of 9/11 families to supporter of the people who funded it. Absolute weapon of a man and he should be reminded of it every fucking tweet. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/aug/10/phil-mickelson-gambling-losses-billy-walters-book

13 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

That quad was classic Bob.  I'm always the pessimist but I'm not sure he's playing consistently well enough to hang on to the 3rd spot. He's had a bang average season with one well-timed great tournament at the Scottish.  I think he'll end up hoping for a pick - and there's maybe a 50/50 chance of that.  Hopefully if he needs one, Donald will remember that he makes lots of birdies along with the odd disaster which wouldn't matter in a RC fourball tie. 

He’s had 5 top tens since March including the 2nd at the Scottish and a close shave where he was T4 at Made in Himmerland - both of those being last month. He’s on track for another good finish this week if he can card a respectable score tomorrow (which given he’s only dropped shots on a single hole all weekend looks likely). He also had the win at Marco Simone last September (in what was a very strong field) which gives him a huge advantage over others IMHO. I personally think Donald would be nuts not to take him if he doesn’t automatically qualify. After the Scottish Open both McIlroy and Rahm backed him to be a part of the European team.

2 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

The no laying up fellas seem to think Meronk is guaranteed a pick. Not sure if they have the inside track on such info but I’m not a huge fan of his

The one I thought was a certainty to be picked is Straka, made the final 30 in the FedEx and has regularly been beating some of the guys who will be on the US team.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He’s had 5 top tens since March including the 2nd at the Scottish and a close shave where he was T4 at Made in Himmerland - both of those being last month. He’s on track for another good finish this week if he can card a respectable score tomorrow (which given he’s only dropped shots on a single hole all weekend looks likely). He also had the win at Marco Simone last September (in what was a very strong field) which gives him a huge advantage over others IMHO. I personally think Donald would be nuts not to take him if he doesn’t automatically qualify. After the Scottish Open both McIlroy and Rahm backed him to be a part of the European team.

This.

Played Pumpherston this morning. Really enjoyed it, fun course, especially some of the holes on the back 9. 

Shot a nett 73, which I'll take for my first time playing. Driving was atrocious though. 

35 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If he can keep this form going into the Ryder Cup that would be perfect.

And on the other side we can only hope Scheffler continues to putt as badly as he did on Thursday and Saturday.

28 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

He’s been sublime since last Saturday. Faultless golf 

Obviously starting at 8 under was a big help, but Viktor is -12 for the 54 holes played, tied with Morikawa. 

Schauffele continues his astonishing record of never having played a round over par at East Lake, he is 11 under for the 54 holes.

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

And on the other side we can only hope Scheffler continues to putt as badly as he did on Thursday and Saturday.

It looked as though he'd found his putting again on Friday so reassuring to see him revert back to the season's norm yesterday. 

11 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Fair enough; my post yesterday was grumpy. He fought back brilliantly in R3, and hopefully can finish ahead of Perez, Paul et al. chasing him for 3rd and keep that lead.  I just think Himmerland and then obvs the Scottish Open (which was agonisingly close to a massive win as we all know) revived his season last month after a while of nothing much happening. Before that he said himself he wasn't comfortable or confident and wasn't playing well - change of coach, swing changes etc.  Thankfully he's hit some form.

I am a huge Bob fan and I agree that he should get a pick if he falls out of 3rd. Bob has a great game for matchplay and as you say, the RC is at a course he's won on.