Golfers Thread

Gaz

9 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

What a days golf that has been! Rahm and hovland in particular have been immense! I hope I'm wrong but I think Bob might have tomorrow off

What might get him playing is the physical nature of the course. It's a lot to ask guys to play 5 rounds in 3 days. Although even if he does rest McIlroy, Rahm and Hovland there's still enough players to step in without Bob needing to play.

He played okay tee to green I thought, just couldn't hole much. The last few holes he looked totally gone mentally though. I think with Rose in the last few holes you saw the difference it makes having that experience at the very top level for 10-15 years.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

What might get him playing is the physical nature of the course. It's a lot to ask guys to play 5 rounds in 3 days. Although even if he does rest McIlroy, Rahm and Hovland there's still enough players to step in without Bob needing to play.

Hatton will also have played 3/3 sessions after tomorrow morning. Be very surprised if he doesn’t get a rest tomorrow afternoon too. 

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Hatton will also have played 3/3 sessions after tomorrow morning. Be very surprised if he doesn’t get a rest tomorrow afternoon too. 

So he will. There's no way he's resting all 4 of those players in the afternoon session even if it means that they'll play all 5 rounds. I agree I don't think he'll play, was just thinking the only reason might be that guys are needing a rest, but does seem unlikely.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He played okay tee to green I thought, just couldn't hole much. The last few holes he looked totally gone mentally though. I think with Rose in the last few holes you saw the difference it makes having that experience at the very top level for 10-15 years.

Agree with this. If Bob plays tomorrow it'll be for rotation reasons. 

We didn't see much of their match but from what was shown mid round there was no rapport between Bob and Rose (at least no chat or fist bumps or anything). Bob looked a bit lost on the back 9 and I'm not sure Rose did much to bolster him. That said, he was busy winning the tie... 

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Not for me.  

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I don't know, I thought Bob's heid was gone and he needs everyone on the team to remind him (like BBPF has said) that on another day he'd have got the putter going and contributed a bit more. I hope he gets out in the afternoon tomorrow but if Donald decides against it I'm fine with that, he's gotten almost every other call right so far. 

I know what Rose said was meant in the right way, but I did feel it came across a bit “oh no, you were part of it, honest”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the afternoon pairings are the same again tomorrow. I know it’s easy for the captains to say they back all 12 players, but when Donald says it, I actually believe it. He’s had the look on his face all day that he knows he’s got this right, and that we are going to obliterate them. He’s not wrong so far!

55 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

The difference between this year and two years back is form in the last 3 or 4 months.  Europe were going backwards and the yanks on the rise.  Feel it's reversed this tournament.

I think it's bigger than that, I think we're seeing the contrasting impacts that LIV has had on both teams. I think it's done the European Team a favour by hurrying up the removal of deadwood from the team like Poulter and Westwood, and arguably Casey and Garcia. If they were all still playing on the PGA Tour I think it's a near certainty that some of them would have been picked, almost regardless of form. Them going has cleared the way for some fresh blood which was needed. LIV also seems to have brought the European Team together, largely due to Rahm and McIlroy staying.

On the other hand, USA have lost guys who were still world class players like Johnson and Dechambeau - who only dropped half a point between them 2 years ago. Koepka has done well in a couple of majors this year but it's hard not to assume that playing LIV will mean he's a bit undercooked compared to what he'd be if he was still on the PGA. LIV also seems to have caused much more aggro between the Americans due to some of the top guys leaving.

It's only Day 1 so could be jumping the gun a bit, but I think the swing from 2 years runs deeper than just recent form.

50 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Agree with this. If Bob plays tomorrow it'll be for rotation reasons. 

We didn't see much of their match but from what was shown mid round there was no rapport between Bob and Rose (at least no chat or fist bumps or anything). Bob looked a bit lost on the back 9 and I'm not sure Rose did much to bolster him. That said, he was busy winning the tie... 

That's what I thought, but then I guess they didn't have much to get excited about. Fourballs tend to have a bit less of that too as you're more focused on yourself than Foresomes.

Rose is a class player but he never strikes me as guy you'd love to play with, he doesn't really have the energy of guys like McIlroy, Rahm, Fleetwood, Hovland or even someone like Lowry. That said, Bob's there as an equal so it's not up to anyone else to get him going, that's on him.

If Donald is going to play all 12 again tomorrow I'd definitely be tweaking the Fourballs. 2 great putts on 18 stopped the USA winning the session. And it was only Fitzpatrick playing out his skin for 6 holes that stopped the other match from being close.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

How come Koepka is allowed to play for the US team from LIV but Johnson and DeChambeau aren’t? 

They are allowed, they just weren't picked. Dechambeau arguably should have been on recent LIV form but it's so hard to know how transferable that form is to more competitive forms of Golf.