Golfers Thread

Gaz

17 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Thought the 200k was going to charity 

Not defending the players, the money they make elsewhere it SHOULD be going to charity 

Same goes to charity of there choice but the Yanks defo get money into there pga pension aswell.Havent checked but I'm assuming Euros do similar since they Reckon the actual match generates close to Half a billion going by reports in fact it's the cash that keeps the dp tour afloat 

Kin hell it's the 3rd most watched sporting event in the world after checking 

Edited by doulikefish

22 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Same goes to charity of there choice but the Yanks defo get money into there pga pension aswell.Havent checked but I'm assuming Euros do similar since they Reckon the actual match generates close to Half a billion going by reports in fact it's the cash that keeps the dp tour afloat 

Sure the likes of mcilroy etc will be buzzing at the pension top up, that deal he struck with nike and the other deals probably mean his state pension wont go far when he's older 🤣🤣, some fucking gig if you can get it as a pro golfer, fair fucks to them as their talent is unquestionable 

Yeah got to imagine it generates some amount of revenue over the 3 days plus any practise sessions etc before, im guessing the world cup and the superbowl are the ones above it in viewing figures? 

I didn’t realise the first 3 days of the Alfred Dunhill Links were free entry with no tickets required…

For the first three days entry is FREE, tickets are not needed. Only tickets for the final day, Sunday, October 8, on the Old Course, need to be purchased. There will be no ticket sales on the gate, tickets can be purchased in advance via the following link: Tickets

12 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I didn’t realise the first 3 days of the Alfred Dunhill Links were free entry with no tickets required…

The pairings draw is available from 8pm tomorrow night - hopefully some of the top names will be out late on Thursday - I'll miss the rest of this as I'll be away from Friday.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

22 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Sure the likes of mcilroy etc will be buzzing at the pension top up, that deal he struck with nike and the other deals probably mean his state pension wont go far when he's older 🤣🤣, some fucking gig if you can get it as a pro golfer, fair fucks to them as their talent is unquestionable 

Yeah got to imagine it generates some amount of revenue over the 3 days plus any practise sessions etc before, im guessing the world cup and the superbowl are the ones above it in viewing figures? 

Yeah world cup and Superbowl above 

21 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Been like that for ages .Pretty chilled out tourney to attend .Bill Murray is great crack and spends most of his round just bullshitting having a laugh with the crowd and Kathryn Newton the yank actor has a better short game than most of the pros 😂 Followed her group last year and she was a really good golfer 

Think I'm doing the Thursday but need to wait for the draw to see who is where on which day 

18 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

This is all over Twitter, and has really fucked me off. Lowry having a go at a steward for literally doing his job is out of order. These guys are volunteers, and his timing for asking people to keep still seemed bang on to me. I’ve had this image of Lowry as a happy go lucky chap - this just says utter p***k. 

The steward was in the wrong, you’re supposed to quieten the crowd prior to the player addressing the ball. He’s miles off it.

15 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Been like that for ages .Pretty chilled out tourney to attend .Bill Murray is great crack and spends most of his round just bullshitting having a laugh with the crowd and Kathryn Newton the yank actor has a better short game than most of the pros 😂 Followed her group last year and she was a really good golfer 

Think I'm doing the Thursday but need to wait for the draw to see who is where on which day 

Do the celebs go out on practice rounds at the old course? Im away on holiday on wednesday but the idea of having an afternoon in the presence of Bill Murray is possibly the greatest use of a days holiday that i could ever think of? I bet if i wore a cubs hat id get a picture.

6 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Do the celebs go out on practice rounds at the old course? Im away on holiday on wednesday but the idea of having an afternoon in the presence of Bill Murray is possibly the greatest use of a days holiday that i could ever think of? I bet if i wore a cubs hat id get a picture.

Not sure never been to a practice day 

25 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The steward was in the wrong, you’re supposed to quieten the crowd prior to the player addressing the ball. He’s miles off it.

I agree if he had addressed it. He hadn’t addressed the ball though, so the steward wasn’t wrong. 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Yeah it's been this way pretty much forever. Even at that, the crowds aren't huge and it's easy to get a close up look at some of the top players while also doing a bit of celeb spotting. It's always that wee bit better when held on the back of a Ryder Cup win too.

The only downside is the horrifically slow pace of play because of the pro-am side of it. 

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

I would definitely class myself as a bigger football fan than golf fan, but the Ryder Cup is the greatest sporting event there is for me. Nothing beats it (when Europe win :lol:).

35 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I would definitely class myself as a bigger football fan than golf fan, but the Ryder Cup is the greatest sporting event there is for me. Nothing beats it (when Europe win :lol:).

Whilst I love watching my own team and watching Scotland I have very little interest in watching football outside of Scotland or the national team. I much prefer watching the golf and for me absolutely nothing comes close to the Ryder Cup. I’d even rank The Masters and The Open above the likes of the World Cup.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I don't have an issue with what Lowry said. He's the player. He's in the absolute pressure cooker end of a career defining match. I bet the steward doesn't have an issue either. And tbf, it wasn't exactly a tirade. 

Yeah I think the steward showed a lack of awareness that Lowry was clearly about to play his shot, while I'm also sure that if that was a regular tournament Lowry wouldn't have responded quite like that. 

Reminds of the classic clip of Seve when he turns to the gallery and says "I know you are nervous, but I am too".

Must need a few days to decompress from something like that. Must be such a weird feeling to be alone again. Like when you were 18 or 19 and went away wi about 15 pals for 2 weeks then came home, but with mega pressure and competitiveness and expectation thrown in. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah I think the steward showed a lack of awareness that Lowry was clearly about to play his shot, while I'm also sure that if that was a regular tournament Lowry wouldn't have responded quite like that. 

Reminds of the classic clip of Seve when he turns to the gallery and says "I know you are nervous, but I am too".

The Seve one is so different. It shows a touch of class. Lowry is swearing at a volunteer who is just doing his job. Twattish behaviour.