Golfers Thread

Gaz

6 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Totally agree his game near the greens is dreadful. He should reflect that a level par round today would have had him only 5 shots behind. To me he looks distracted on the course. The 10th hole summed it up for me. Both he and Scheffler hit great 2nd shots. Rory misses a very makeable putt and of course Scheffler makes his. Scheffler is miles ahead of Rory atm.

Yeah watching the way Scheffler and Schauffele got round compared to McIlroy should be a reality check for him. 

Like you I can't see him winning another major anywhere, let alone at the Masters. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah watching the way Scheffler and Schauffele got round compared to McIlroy should be a reality check for him. 

Like you I can't see him winning another major anywhere, let alone at the Masters. 

I don’t think we’ll see him winning at Augusta but I’d fancy him for another Open. The clock is ticking mind you.

Forecast says light winds today with a peak of around 15mph in the afternoon.

Abergs round yesterday was unbelievably good but again anything around even for your round today will see you move up as I reckon after the last few years of low scores winning the klan will be happy to make it really hard again today with only a few mills of water on the greens and speed them back to lightning quick 

8 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

How’s everyone’s course looking lads? Mines is on matts for at least another 7 days but there is hope with the forecast that it should dry out 

Iv honestly just forgot about playing for the last couple of weeks. Brutal. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

But but but…….if he starts with a birdie today Paul McGinley thinks he could charge through the field

Listening to McGinley is torture at the best of times but him (and Dougherty and Jamie Weir) talking about McIlroy verges on cult-like hysteria.

I quite like Rory, he seems like an interesting and thoughtful guy, but getting any more majors is looking unlikely now with the quality of younger opposition. If he finishes his career on four, he'll have underachieved given the talent he burst onto the scene with. He was unlucky at St Andrews - leaves a couple of good putts on the lip on the front 9 to really secure himself, and then Smith plays the round/back 9 of his life - but he needs an awful lot of things to click to win another now.

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Iv got out a few times but mats are like cancer to me. I absolutely despise them. Takes any enjoyment out of the game 

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I’ve got a seniors singles tie to play at Kirkintilloch before April 22nd, and haven’t played for three weeks now. Course has either been closed, a mudbath if open, or, on the odd day recently where not too bad underfoot, I’ve been busy with other stuff. Kirkintilloch are good at engaging online with the membership, and this year, I’ve never known so much rain or so many ‘course status update’ e-mails from the club. One day recently the early morning message was ‘course closed due to flooding, next inspection at 10am’. Then it changed to ‘course open, please use mats, 14th & 15th holes remain closed’. Then it started pishing down again and they sent another ‘course closed’ message. Then opened up again for a bit late afternoon. I reckon the greenkeepers were a baw’ hair away from telling the committee to issue an e-mail saying ‘course closed for the remainder of April - will try opening up again in May. Bye bye, we’re away to the pub’… and I wouldn’t have blamed them.

In summary - it’s wet. Very, very wet.

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv got out a few times but mats are like cancer to me. I absolutely despise them. Takes any enjoyment out of the game 

I was hitting the ball well mid March albeit mats obviously then. Can accept that though it's mat season. I'm not playing off them in April though. It's just annoying cos I was playing OK and wanted to build on that 

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I don’t mind if it’s late November to late February, and it’s the wonderful combination of winter tees, winter greens, mats, or moving the ball into the rough - if I can get out in this period and it’s just for the exercise really, and to get some sort of battering a ball around done. March 1st to November 30th though - I’m always hopeful that it will be ‘proper golf’ the whole way. You have to have hope. 😜

28 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Listening to McGinley is torture at the best of times but him (and Dougherty and Jamie Weir) talking about McIlroy verges on cult-like hysteria.

I quite like Rory, he seems like an interesting and thoughtful guy, but getting any more majors is looking unlikely now with the quality of younger opposition. If he finishes his career on four, he'll have underachieved given the talent he burst onto the scene with. He was unlucky at St Andrews - leaves a couple of good putts on the lip on the front 9 to really secure himself, and then Smith plays the round/back 9 of his life - but he needs an awful lot of things to click to win another now.

I wouldn't say he was unlucky at St. Andrews, he hit most of the greens in regulation but was miles from the hole most of the time. Smith gave himself much better chances for birdies. 

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I wouldn't say he was unlucky at St. Andrews, he hit most of the greens in regulation but was miles from the hole most of the time. Smith gave himself much better chances for birdies. 

Agree. Rorys round 4 felt like he played it safe where Smith knew he had to go out and get after it and that's what he did. Rory just wasn't able to up the levels as it became apparent he needed to. 

Some comments here that I was actually thinking very similar thoughts about just before heading to bed… The leaders could be on -6 heading into the weekend, and if McIlroy was on +5, the Sky wallopers would be telling us Rory isn’t out of this, if he gets off to a fast start on Saturday and gets six holes-in-one on the front nine then anything could happen. Just no, you p***ks.

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I remember at least a couple of putts looking like they were going to drop early on, and they didn't.  He didn't get going and I think he thought he just had to stay ahead of Hovland.  Smith absolutely deserved to win. Of course, Young ended up beating Rory too so he didn't even come second 😬 My main point was that I don't think he has another major in him.  I particularly can't see him ever winning the Masters as the wedge and putter are so tested at Augusta and he clearly tries too hard.  That won't stop Sky going on and on about him every day of every year's tournament though.

Rory's career is quite a weird one if his last major does turn out to be the 2014 PGA. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

How’s everyone’s course looking lads? Mines is on matts for at least another 7 days but there is hope with the forecast that it should dry out 

Our first medal goes ahead today with one winter green on and one bunker out of play, which is pretty fucking good going from the staff tbh as I played it on Monday and didn't think it had a hope in hell. Hopefully this is the end of the shite weather and it can open fully from here on out.

5 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

First medal for me today (Routenburn). Very wet and boggy in places but the greens were decent. Drainage is usually excellent but the course just hasn't had time to breathe before the next downpour arrives.

2 hours ago, Smithers Jones said:

First medal for me today (Routenburn). Very wet and boggy in places but the greens were decent. Drainage is usually excellent but the course just hasn't had time to breathe before the next downpour arrives.

I'm just over the water at Cowal and keep meaning to come over and play Routenburn - was the layout changed recently?