Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Kaymer gets all the credit for that 9 ft putt but IMHO, the best performances came from Nicolas Colsaerts when he putted like a demon and carried Westwood on his shoulders in their match against Woods & Stricker and also Poulter - love him or hate him, he showed some balls in his 4 matches and won them all.

The guy who holes the winning putt is always going to get the glory. Poulter's performance that year was unreal though, those 5 birdies in a row on the Saturday night was one of the greatest matchplay performances ever. He may be a dick,  but an all time Ryder Cup player. 

21 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Kaymer gets all the credit for that 9 ft putt but IMHO, the best performances came from Nicolas Colsaerts when he putted like a demon and carried Westwood on his shoulders in their match against Woods & Stricker and also Poulter - love him or hate him, he showed some balls in his 4 matches and won them all.

Justin Rose sinking monster putts on 16 and 17 turned everything around, if I remember rightly. 1 down to 1 up v Mickelson.

10 hours ago, EvilScotsman said:

Justin Rose sinking monster putts on 16 and 17 turned everything around, if I remember rightly. 1 down to 1 up v Mickelson.

Absolutely - there were a few heroes at Medinah but Colsaerts was a rookie and tbh, Westwood had a horrorshow. In spite of that, NC was -10 on his own ball and won that point singlehandedly.

However, Colsaerts benefitted from Westwood's experience on one hole when Lee conceded a 20 footer to Stricker in order to let Colsaerts putt first (he sank it) and keep the pressure on Woods (he missed).

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

15 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Possible, but would be a big gamble by LD.  I don't think any European has sat out the whole thing till the singles since Mark James did it to 3 players in 1999 and we lost?  The lesson learned then was that the player(s)' confidence will be shot and they will lose their singles tie. 

The European teams have a better spread of ability now - there were some years when the captain understandably wanted to play Seve, Faldo, Lyle, Woosnam, Ollie, Langer, Monty etc in every session possible  and just give what were seen, and in some cases were, the weak links one shot in the singles.

Since Brookline the logic has been to give everyone a shot before the singles to get confidence up and help team spirit. It helps when with a few exceptions (Stephen Gallacher at Gleneagles unfortunately being one) the depth of the European squads have been better.

It won’t be popular here but for me Bob is the weak link in our team - I’d like to be proved wrong but could see him only getting one run out before the singles. If Donald’s strategy is to get everyone out on the Friday then if his pairing wins he’s likely to get another game on the Saturday but if it was me I’d play him in the Saturday Fourballs and then somewhere round the start of the bottom half of the singles draw.

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

The European teams have a better spread of ability now - there were some years when the captain understandably wanted to play Seve, Faldo, Lyle, Woosnam, Ollie, Langer, Monty etc in every session possible  and just give what were seen, and in some cases were, the weak links one shot in the singles.

Since Brookline the logic has been to give everyone a shot before the singles to get confidence up and help team spirit. It helps when with a few exceptions (Stephen Gallacher at Gleneagles unfortunately being one) the depth of the European squads have been better.

It won’t be popular here but for me Bob is the weak link in our team - I’d like to be proved wrong but could see him only getting one run out before the singles. If Donald’s strategy is to get everyone out on the Friday then if his pairing wins he’s likely to get another game on the Saturday but if it was me I’d play him in the Saturday Fourballs and then somewhere round the start of the bottom half of the singles draw.

Yes, that's pretty much what I said about playing everyone (and Bob getting a second 4ball if he plays well/wins the first).  In fact, I can't remember anyone ever sitting out the cup until the singles except for 99 in the modern era so if it happens to Bob as some folk are suggesting it might, it will be very unfortunate. We'll find out soon enough.  There are always 3 or 4 weaker players/rookies each year but I agree that this squad is stronger than usual (not sure that was true at Whistling Straits tho).

No one's doubting that Bob is - statistically - the weakest player based on tour data.  But Ryder Cups are obviously matchplay so often there are surprise successes  (e.g. Gilford, Colsaerts) and great players who have a nightmare (e.g. Fitzpatrick to date, and many underperforming Yanks - didn't Davs Love once lose all 5?).  Here's hoping Bob holes some putts early in his first match, makes some birdies, and gets some confidence going. 

Bob is obviously the statiscal weak link in the team and I am under no illusions he’ll probably be used sparingly compared to some of the superstars on the team, but if he’s paired with the right guy his game definetly suits some of the formats. I’m absolutely desperate for him to get a run out on the Friday and prove the Twitter fuds wrong as they seem adament he wont appear until the Sunday and wont stop mentioning it under numerous Tweets. The guy is on the team for a reason, earned his spot fair and square and one honker of a round in France last weekend doesn’t automatically make him incapable of being a useful part of this team.

A lot of people seem to be forgetting he’s won on this course before, seeing off the likes of McIlroy, Fitzpatrick, Hatton and Hovland in the process.

On 25/09/2023 at 16:57, IrishBhoy said:

If I can use a Srixon Soft Feel on the 1st hole and a Titleist DT Solo on the 2nd without any noticeable difference to the standard of my game then I’m sure the professionals can do it. 

Kidding aside I wonder how much of a difference the ball would actually make to guys at that level. Probably comes more down to familiarity than the actual ball itself. Rahm plays the Chrome Soft X and I assume most of the others play Pro V1s. Fleetwood plays the TP5x actually but you would think guys of that standard could adapt to any ball. 

A lot of it’s probably mental, if Rahm’s so used to the Chromesoft is he going to second guess a pitch shot when he’s having to hit Fleetwoods TP5x. There are differences between the “top tier” balls I would say. I seen a massive difference in spin and control when I changed from the Z-star to ProV1. My bank balance also seen a difference :lol:

Got my NowTV subscription sorted and will be doing as little work as possible tomorrow while the golf’s on