Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

MacIntyre ends up one short for the third time this season as Paul Casey shoots a 66 to take the tourney.

MacIntyre shot a very decent 68 today but his 74 yesterday cost him.

He's now set to move into the top 100 of the world and has virtually secured a spot in the PGA at Wentworth in a couple of weeks.

MacIntyre now 95th in OWGR. Very close to being the highest ranked Scot. Russell Knox is 85th.

Good to see that Knox is coming over for the PGA at Wentworth and also for the Dunhill Cup.

After what seemed an eternity of messing about, I finally got a handicap of 6. 

The club sec had a mare with it, because I had a round of 70 in there, the system gave me a 3 handicap, which is ridiculous and apparently you can't be put straight into Category 1. Put in another card and it was recalculated to 6, which is probably a bit nippit for me off the back tees. First competitive round in Kirriemuir's 18 Hole Open on Sunday and I had a 76-7=70.  Hitting the ball pretty well, other than the odd badly pulled iron shot, but I could barely hole anything of significance. I had about 5 putts of under 10 feet for birdie and only holed one. Other seethe-inducing aspects were bogeying 4 holes from the middle of the fairway. 

Still, it's good to be playing again. 

Just had my fourth lesson, new grip is starting to feel comfortable now and my conistency has massively improved. Getting good distance from my 7 iron in a straight line and even managed to hit a few straight drives when everything was a massive slice before. Just need to carry this onto the course now.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I see Brian Barnes has died. His playing days were mostly before my time but he seemed a bit of a character.

Fine player. Famously marked his ball with a beer can on the final green on his way to winning a tournament in Scotland.

Probably most famous for beating Jack Nicklaus twice in the same day in a Ryder Cup match.

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I see Brian Barnes has died. His playing days were mostly before my time but he seemed a bit of a character.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Fine player. Famously marked his ball with a beer can on the final green on his way to winning a tournament in Scotland.

Probably most famous for beating Jack Nicklaus twice in the same day in a Ryder Cup match.

IIRC he did a bit of commentating many years ago and was pretty blunt, and good. A sad loss. 

On 09/09/2019 at 23:11, Day of the Lords said:

After what seemed an eternity of messing about, I finally got a handicap of 6. 

The club sec had a mare with it, because I had a round of 70 in there, the system gave me a 3 handicap, which is ridiculous and apparently you can't be put straight into Category 1. Put in another card and it was recalculated to 6, which is probably a bit nippit for me off the back tees. First competitive round in Kirriemuir's 18 Hole Open on Sunday and I had a 76-7=70.  Hitting the ball pretty well, other than the odd badly pulled iron shot, but I could barely hole anything of significance. I had about 5 putts of under 10 feet for birdie and only holed one. Other seethe-inducing aspects were bogeying 4 holes from the middle of the fairway. 

Still, it's good to be playing again. 

Nice one!

From your post it sounds like you're recently getting back into the game, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm in the same boat having played ~1-2 times a year for the past 10 years. I've found the long game came back fairly quickly but, as your experience seems to suggest, the short game, especially putting, takes some time. My putting is still pretty poor despite having almost a season under my belt now.

Anyway I'm two cards down, one to go for regaining my handicap. It won't be as low as yours but I'm expecting between 9 and 11. If I don't get single figures, that'll be the initial goal and then down to around 6 I think should be achievable for me within a couple of seasons.

On 10/09/2019 at 11:22, JamieT1314 said:

Just had my fourth lesson, new grip is starting to feel comfortable now and my conistency has massively improved. Getting good distance from my 7 iron in a straight line and even managed to hit a few straight drives when everything was a massive slice before. Just need to carry this onto the course now.

After some nice rounds at Stonehaven and Craigmillar where my driving as straighter although not that long the slice has returned with a vengeance. Need to get some lessons under my belt as well I think. 

7 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

Nice one!

From your post it sounds like you're recently getting back into the game, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm in the same boat having played ~1-2 times a year for the past 10 years. I've found the long game came back fairly quickly but, as your experience seems to suggest, the short game, especially putting, takes some time. My putting is still pretty poor despite having almost a season under my belt now.

Anyway I'm two cards down, one to go for regaining my handicap. It won't be as low as yours but I'm expecting between 9 and 11. If I don't get single figures, that'll be the initial goal and then down to around 6 I think should be achievable for me within a couple of seasons.

I was hoping for a 9-11 handicap tbh 😂

My putting was always pretty streaky. I played what is now the 9 hole course at Glenisla through the week. My usual shit start because i didn't have time to warm up of Double/double, played the next 7 in -1 and was 13 putts in total for the 9 holes. I will no doubt have 37 putts on Friday coming with numerous 3-jabs 

27 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Anyone watching the Solheim Cup? Gleneagles looks stunning, but the players (with the exception of the Kordas) all look nervous as f**k.

Several shots that you'd normally be more likely to see in my medal round tomorrow than in an elite event!

I've caught snippets of it. There was one putt that a European had to win a hole. Must've been about 6-8 feet. She putted about 18 inches wide of the hole and left it further past the hole than her initial putt. Probably the worst putt I've ever seen.

It’s awfully slow. 3 hours for the front 9 this afternoon.

It’s a tough course, but they’re playing match play and don’t even need to putt out.
They were just saying that the projected time for the 4balls was 4hrs 35minutes, at the moment they are on 5hr 45min pace. Dreadful stuff. Apparently Salas on the US team has been given a warning and if she gets another it will result in the loss of a hole.

Reading about gWest after the solheim and making it my new life golf ambition to somehow play it.

Read that myself on the Bunkered website. Totally bizarre story. Shows how much money the owners have when they don't need to open it and can keep it fully maintained all year round. Looks good on Google maps.

Read that myself on the Bunkered website. Totally bizarre story. Shows how much money the owners have when they don't need to open it and can keep it fully maintained all year round. Looks good on Google maps. 

When we played the Kings was earlier in the year you could see the clubhouse, and spoke about it on the course.

I thought it was a mystery, didn’t realise there was a website with hole by hole guide etc.

One of the more ridiculous golf stories I’ve read about.

37 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Pace of play not much better today at Gleneagles, looking at around 3 hrs for 12 holes for what is effectively a two ball.

Yes it's absolutely grim. That equates to 4.5 hours for a round.  Just awful.

as you say it's effectively a 2 ball and some putts are conceded.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer