Golfers Thread

Gaz

I was given 18 as my first handycap a bit steep imo, I'm now 20 after a year, I play better than 20 but I just can't seem to do it in medals,
White box fever. I went through a spell of hitting decent scores off the yellow boxes in bounce games, then would easily be 10 shots worse off the whites with a scorecard in hand. There's only 2 holes at Bishopbriggs that it really makes a difference to the distance too.

Polmont Golf Club the latest to be close to shutting. They had told the members they would be closed from today, but now have an EGM on Wednesday to discuss a rescue plan.

My workmate is a member at Campsie GC in Lennoxtown and they were having an EGM last Friday night as their financial position is not great. One of their problems is they have a lot of senior members who pay just over half the full fees.

Aye that card in hand does something I can play consistently well and mess up 2 holes that kills my card, my last medal I had to hit a boggy on the 18th par 4 and I'd be on par, hit an 8 then on Tuesday I went round myself in 79 -20/59

10 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

That's me been given my first handicap.  34.

Not going to lie, that's a real kick in the balls.  I play with folk who are in the 20's and I always hold my own against them.  I've really not done myself justice there.

On the other hand you'll be winning the money so often you might have to turn pro.

Bunkered are reporting that Ruchill 9 hole municipal in Glasgow has been closed since the end of August. Rumours are it has been unstaffed a lot this year so no way of collecting money or recording usage, which might suit the council's consultation figures.

On 07/10/2019 at 11:21, peasy23 said:

White box fever. I went through a spell of hitting decent scores off the yellow boxes in bounce games, then would easily be 10 shots worse off the whites with a scorecard in hand. There's only 2 holes at Bishopbriggs that it really makes a difference to the distance too.

Polmont Golf Club the latest to be close to shutting. They had told the members they would be closed from today, but now have an EGM on Wednesday to discuss a rescue plan.

My workmate is a member at Campsie GC in Lennoxtown and they were having an EGM last Friday night as their financial position is not great. One of their problems is they have a lot of senior members who pay just over half the full fees.

It's been in the papers up here that my golf club is struggling financially too after what sounds like some massive mistakes when constructing our new driving range facility.

I gather there was a fairly difficult committee meeting recently when it was reported the club had overspent on the project by £220,000. I don't really know about these things but I struggle to fathom how the project overshot its budget by that amount but here we are.

End result is a 5% increase in our fees but someone at the meeting suggested a £200 levy for each member. I gather this was rejected as the committee predicted it was result in too big a loss in membership.

Absolutely hate hearing all these stories of courses being in financial difficulty but I suspect the case of my club will garner significantly less sympathy than the closure of some of these local municipals.

It's been in the papers up here that my golf club is struggling financially too after what sounds like some massive mistakes when constructing our new driving range facility.
I gather there was a fairly difficult committee meeting recently when it was reported the club had overspent on the project by £220,000. I don't really know about these things but I struggle to fathom how the project overshot its budget by that amount but here we are.
End result is a 5% increase in our fees but someone at the meeting suggested a £200 levy for each member. I gather this was rejected as the committee predicted it was result in too big a loss in membership.
Absolutely hate hearing all these stories of courses being in financial difficulty but I suspect the case of my club will garner significantly less sympathy than the closure of some of these local municipals.
Newmachar? Saw that story on Bunkered too, somebody has some serious questions to answer about that overspend.

The municipal question is a tough one to find a solution for tbh. One of the problems now is that you can use different websites to get a price to play a private club for less than the municipal. Also the facilities at the Glasgow ones are dreadful, clubhouses don't have any changing facilities at all now.

13 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Newmachar? Saw that story on Bunkered too, somebody has some serious questions to answer about that overspend.

The municipal question is a tough one to find a solution for tbh. One of the problems now is that you can use different websites to get a price to play a private club for less than the municipal. Also the facilities at the Glasgow ones are dreadful, clubhouses don't have any changing facilities at all now.

Yeh that's it. I gather there were some very strong words at the committee meeting when this was announced to members. Hardly surprising, a f**k up like that could end a golf club.

Edited by Mr Hahn

Slightly disappointing final round of 71 sees Robert McIntyre finish tied 4th at the Italian Open. Another brilliant finish in a strong field in his rookie season.

Stephen Gallacher was tied 25th for his best finish in ages.

Edit to add: McIntyre now up to a remarkable 7th on the Road to Dubai rankings.

Edited by peasy23

Slightly disappointing final round of 71 sees Robert McIntyre finish tied 4th at the Italian Open. Another brilliant finish in a strong field in his rookie season.
Stephen Gallacher was tied 25th for his best finish in ages.

Edit to add: McIntyre now up to a remarkable 7th on the Road to Dubai rankings.

Yeah the one worry about MacIntyre this season is failure to win one of these tourneys starts to play on his mind and becomes a mental issue for him.
Having said that he finished strongly with a couple of late birdies and a nice par putt on the last.

Yeah the one worry about MacIntyre this season is failure to win one of these tourneys starts to play on his mind and becomes a mental issue for him.
Having said that he finished strongly with a couple of late birdies and a nice par putt on the last.
It's a pity that a few times this season he has put himself in contention but then had his worst round on the Sunday. He is a terrific player, the driver off the deck he hit the other day was a thing of beauty. Turn the sound up for this clip.

It's a pity that a few times this season he has put himself in contention but then had his worst round on the Sunday. He is a terrific player, the driver off the deck he hit the other day was a thing of beauty. Turn the sound up for this clip.

Just superb

MacIntyre will also be top Scot in the world rankings when the updated list comes out tomorrow.

Must still be close between him and Knox who chipped in for a miracle par 4 at the last tonight to be T28 on PGA Tour event.

Tremendous effort to overtake Knox who season on season is the very definition of steady. Good to have 2 players in top 90.

Hopefully both can progress and make the lucrative top 50.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

MacIntyre up to 86th while Knox is 88th. Calum Hill is next at 122, which is good going for someone who has spent most of the season on the challenge tour.

Very good seasons for Macintyre and Hill. 

Pretty good chance Connor Syme will also regain his European Tour card Currently ranked 11 with top 15 getting cards. 3 events to go.

2 top class rules f**k ups on the tours this week.

In the Senior LPGA Championship, Lee Ann Walker managed to amass a whopping 58 penalty strokes. She hadn't played on tour since 2008, but that's no defence to not know that you can no longer use your caddy to line up your putts. Amazingly, in her first round her partners either didn't notice or ignored it, and it was only after 6 holes of her second round that her partners mentioned to her, she had different partners for the opening two rounds. She then called in a rules official who went through the 24 holes she had played thus far, and she was given 2 shots for each transgression, which totalled 42 shots in her first round and 16 in her second.

Marcel Seim had only an outside chance of keeping his tour card at the French Open, but he ended up disqualifying himself after he had mistakenly thought that preferred lies were in play. He had lifted, cleaned and placed his ball 5 times in the first 9 holes, and after being given a total of 10 penalty shots that put him 11 over thru 9 he decided to chuck it. It will now need a successful trip to Q school for him to keep his card.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

2 top class rules f**k ups on the tours this week.

In the Senior LPGA Championship, Lee Ann Walker managed to amass a whopping 58 penalty strokes. She hadn't played on tour since 2008, but that's no defence to not know that you can no longer use your caddy to line up your putts. Amazingly, in her first round her partners either didn't notice or ignored it, and it was only after 6 holes of her second round that her partners mentioned to her, she had different partners for the opening two rounds. She then called in a rules official who went through the 24 holes she had played thus far, and she was given 2 shots for each transgression, which totalled 42 shots in her first round and 16 in her second.

Marcel Seim had only an outside chance of keeping his tour card at the French Open, but he ended up disqualifying himself after he had mistakenly thought that preferred lies were in play. He had lifted, cleaned and placed his ball 5 times in the first 9 holes, and after being given a total of 10 penalty shots that put him 11 over thru 9 he decided to chuck it. It will now need a successful trip to Q school for him to keep his card.

Hadn't heard about Siem's but read about Walker yesterday. She said she knew there had been a change to some rules but didn't bother to look the changes up :lol:

I'm sure SIem has previous for being a bit of a hot head so I doubt he would have taken that well when he found out.

Gavin Moynihan just hit the unluckiest shot I've seen all year, and it just cost him a BMW i8 Roadster. It's up for grabs for the first player to hit an ace on the par 3 16th at Le Golf Nacional, his tee shot pitched straight in the hole but bounced out again.

Gavin Moynihan just hit the unluckiest shot I've seen all year, and it just cost him a BMW i8 Roadster. It's up for grabs for the first player to hit an ace on the par 3 16th at Le Golf Nacional, his tee shot pitched straight in the hole but bounced out again.

To make it worse he missed the birdie putt as well.