Golfers Thread

Gaz

Was just thinking about this as they did a wee piece on Ben Curtis. Does The Open tend to set up for a ‘lucky’ player to win rather than the consistent automaton? 

Curtis, David Duval, Todd Hamilton, Paul Lawrie, Molinari and arguably Shane Lowry all have The Open on their cv without being what you’d say are world class golfers. 

Or is just because that’s the very nature of links golf? 

4 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Was just thinking about this as they did a wee piece on Ben Curtis. Does The Open tend to set up for a ‘lucky’ player to win rather than the consistent automaton? 

Curtis, David Duval, Todd Hamilton, Paul Lawrie, Molinari and arguably Shane Lowry all have The Open on their cv without being what you’d say are world class golfers. 

Or is just because that’s the very nature of links golf? 

Duval had been World Number 1, Molinari was the form player in the world, and Lowry (and to a lesser extent Lawrie) was a renowned links player.

I think the idea of "lucky winners" happening at the Open is a bit overplayed because there were a couple in close proximity. I'd argue that it favours the smarter player more than the lucky one.

I seen a graph were the average age of an open winner was around 5 years older than the other majors.

I think that maybe explains that links golf requires a bit of maturity  and know how to win it 

Aye, there's plenty of one time major 'diddies' that could be considered not world class that have won other majors too, just this century for example.

Uspga: Micheel, Yang, Beem, Dufner, Walker.

US Open: Glover, Ogilvy, Campbell.

Masters: Willet, Schwartzel, Weir, Immelman.

There's certainly more luck involved in the Open though, where the draw and conditions can have a huge effect, before we even get to the lucky bounces or lies.

Aye, there's plenty of one time major 'diddies' that could be considered not world class that have won other majors too, just this century for example.
Uspga: Micheel, Yang, Beem, Dufner, Walker.
US Open: Glover, Ogilvy, Campbell.
Masters: Willet, Schwartzel, Weir, Immelman.
There's certainly more luck involved in the Open though, where the draw and conditions can have a huge effect, before we even get to the lucky bounces or lies.

Harsh on weir, schwartzel and immelman i reckon. I'm not a big golf fan but these guys were well established players, always in with a shout if they put a run together.

45 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Harsh on weir, schwartzel and immelman i reckon. I'm not a big golf fan but these guys were well established players, always in with a shout if they put a run together.

Looking back, I've been harsh on Weir, but not the other 2, who never really achieved much either side of their green jackets.