Golfers Thread

Gaz

Went round in 82 today, best golf I've played in a long long time.

Think my handicap will get cut now.

There was a good deal in the P and J up here last week with a load of money off vouchers for courses around Scotland. Most of them run out in October but a handful valid until March. I'll post the list up later for them and if anyone wants them I'll post them out to you. (it will be the ones valid until October 31)

Edited by HighlandSaint

Ok, tokens are for £12 game of golf at the following:

Valid until end September

Aboyne Golf Club

Valid until end October

Tillicoultry

Burntisland

Falkland

Dunniker Park

Craigmillar Park

Peterhead

Dufftown

Lynedoch, Murrayshall

Letham Grange

Spey Bay

Inverurie

Aberfeldy

Newmachar

Stonehaven

Oldmeldrum

Kinross

Braemar

Buckpool

Hazelhead 1

Kings Links

Hopeman (great course, especially the 12th)

Arbroath

Valid until 3rd November

Kirriemuir

Duns

Valid until end December

Portlethen

If anybody wants any of these, PM me.

Edited by HighlandSaint

Well my golf has been reasonably good since my last post. Managed to win the Handicap Championship (match play) a couple weeks back and got the handicap down to 7.7 on saturday having gone up 0.2 in the 2 medals prior. My 75 on Saturday should have been far better but I struggled with the putter - three 3-putts and left 3 birdie putts in the jaws. Thankfully I hit most of the greens so was still able to come in with a score.

Not sure if we've many (if any) stroke play competitions left so it may be texas scrambles and practice for the winter league over the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Played Port Glasgow this morning thanks to a 2 ball for £19 offer from Groupon . I was shocked at how good the greens were, utterly immaculate. As good as I've played on all year. I think they said they were hollowing them in a few weeks, which is a shame.

Back down to 9 after decent round yesterday. Net 72. Very windy and looked like CSS was likely to be 74, certainly won`t be lower than 73.

Hopefully back down to 9.1

Edit to add confirmed 0.4 reduction, so 9.1 it is. :)

37 points in club stabelford. Should be down to 8.9 or even 8.7 depending on CSS.

Pleased to have got back to and stayed down at 9.

Have hardly played recently, maybe that`s the secret :P

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Won my first medal at my club for about 3 or 4 years yesterday. Was +5 for first 4 holes, but managed to be level in from there. I was 3 under my h'cap and the css went up 2, so a full 1.0 off to take me to 7.2. My lowest ever.

Since our club is a bit nasty, handicaps are not frozen over the winter, so this is a nice cushion to see me to about March.

Won my first medal at my club for about 3 or 4 years yesterday. Was +5 for first 4 holes, but managed to be level in from there. I was 3 under my h'cap and the css went up 2, so a full 1.0 off to take me to 7.2. My lowest ever.

Since our club is a bit nasty, handicaps are not frozen over the winter, so this is a nice cushion to see me to about March.

Good shooting mate! What do you mean about handicaps not being frozen, your medals run right through the winter??

Finished the season at 7.8 myself. A pretty disappointing season on the stroke play side but winning both the match play competitions I entered was pleasing.

Started season at 9.1 so I've come down 1.3 overall - scored relatively consistently aside from the month of June which saw my handicap rise 0.6. Handicap target for the year was 6.5 so I have failed miserably overall.

Roll on the winter league.

Good shooting mate! What do you mean about handicaps not being frozen, your medals run right through the winter??

Finished the season at 7.8 myself. A pretty disappointing season on the stroke play side but winning both the match play competitions I entered was pleasing.

Started season at 9.1 so I've come down 1.3 overall - scored relatively consistently aside from the month of June which saw my handicap rise 0.6. Handicap target for the year was 6.5 so I have failed miserably overall.

Roll on the winter league.

Cheers Chris. Good season for yourself as well!

Aye, any medals that go ahead at Royal St Skelmorlie over the winter count for your handicap because we never use winter greens. I never usually play through the winter, so this came as a bit of a shock to me when somebody mentioned it the other week. Most likely I'll go up 0.1 every time I play in the winter, but its worth it to keep my swing going.

If it's a measured course within the CONGU framework, which includes tees not being more than 100 yards cumulatively in front of the yardage markers, and no more than 3 temporary greens, then clubs have no reason for any competitions not to count for handicapping purposes.

If it's a measured course within the CONGU framework, which includes tees not being more than 100 yards cumulatively in front of the yardage markers, and no more than 3 temporary greens, then clubs have no reason for any competitions not to count for handicapping purposes.

Fair enough. Most clubs chose to make November-February medals non counters though don't they?

I suppose most courses revert to winter greens. I cant complain, I'm happy to not have winter greens. I'm even happier that our club don't force you to carry a strip of astroturf around with you over winter.

Fair enough. Most clubs chose to make November-February medals non counters though don't they?

I suppose most courses revert to winter greens. I cant complain, I'm happy to not have winter greens. I'm even happier that our club don't force you to carry a strip of astroturf around with you over winter.

Yes, but the point I was making was that it's not the clubs decision to do this. If the course is set up in a non-counting way, then any qualifying competitions must be non-counting. However, if the course is set up in such a way that it is a 'measured course', the club are obliged to make any qualifying competitions counting for handicap purposes.

Cheers Chris. Good season for yourself as well!

Aye, any medals that go ahead at Royal St Skelmorlie over the winter count for your handicap because we never use winter greens. I never usually play through the winter, so this came as a bit of a shock to me when somebody mentioned it the other week. Most likely I'll go up 0.1 every time I play in the winter, but its worth it to keep my swing going.

If you're really bothered about playing poorly I winter conditions the you don't need to play in medals. I'm sure your club will let you play a round without a card in your hand, whilst marking others' cards?

Anyhow, winer golf is awesome, especially in the frost. I can drive the ball 8000 yards.

• 1 month later...

Played the Dirleton at Archerfield today in amazing weather, given it's the middle of December!

Nice facilities and decent but not stunning course, no real standout holes.

75th course played (yes I'm tragic enough to keep a list!)