Golfers Thread

Gaz

Not long started playing golf, so signed up to the local council courses. £36 a month (currently get it for £18 at s student rate) and its unlimited access to 8 courses. Seafield, Belleisle, Dalmilling, Darley, Loch Green, Fullarton, Maybole and Girvan. Very decent value, although only played Belliesle, Seafield and Dalmilling so far. Starting to really enjoy it. The girls brother in law is very handy and plays off a 4, think it's Ballochmyle he plays, another place that's quite pricey, around £520 a years membership. He's been giving me some pointers etc and getting a fairly new driver off him for £50 (he got it 16 months ago for £320) as he got s custom made one for his 30th.

Not even looking at a handicap yet, short game is reasonable, just need to work more on my driving and accuracy, but it's a great sport to get into.

Not long started playing golf, so signed up to the local council courses. £36 a month (currently get it for £18 at s student rate) and its unlimited access to 8 courses. Seafield, Belleisle, Dalmilling, Darley, Loch Green, Fullarton, Maybole and Girvan. Very decent value, although only played Belliesle, Seafield and Dalmilling so far. Starting to really enjoy it. The girls brother in law is very handy and plays off a 4, think it's Ballochmyle he plays, another place that's quite pricey, around £520 a years membership. He's been giving me some pointers etc and getting a fairly new driver off him for £50 (he got it 16 months ago for £320) as he got s custom made one for his 30th.

Not even looking at a handicap yet, short game is reasonable, just need to work more on my driving and accuracy, but it's a great sport to get into.

If your short game is decent then you will do fine. One of the keys is not trying to drive it miles every time, keep it in play.

Good luck with it. Golf is a great love but a fickle mistress.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

:eek: not pricey imo

Thought the same tbh, I'd be quite happy if any of my local clubs were only that price!

Canny hide money :lol:

Suppose once you're playing at a decent standard and want to commit to just the one course it is probably worth it. My mate does both, is a member at one of the Troon courses as well as doing the local council ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I pay £125 per year at Kings Acre but still have to pay to play (at reduced rate) suits me when you only play around 20 games per year.

Think full membership is around £650 with a £650 joining fee, if they ever did away with joining fee i would probably join as a full member. If nothing else it would encourage me to play more.

Very frustrating year played much better last year. Hcp 17

I'll be joining Aberdour next year, they have an absolutely brilliant offer running.

20% off your annual fee if you are recommended by a member, luckily enough I know one, he also gets 20% off.

Their 30 and under price is usually £350 with no joining fee so I'd get it for £280. They also allow you to spread it over direct debit so it works out less than £25 a month.

I'll be joining Aberdour next year, they have an absolutely brilliant offer running.

20% off your annual fee if you are recommended by a member, luckily enough I know one, he also gets 20% off.

Their 30 and under price is usually £350 with no joining fee so I'd get it for £280. They also allow you to spread it over direct debit so it works out less than £25 a month.

That's a great deal. Aberdour is a fantastic course. I came really close to joining a few months back.

As Mojito says a great deal and a fabulous course.

A particular favourite of mine having had a hole-in-one there. :P

Enjoy.

That's a great deal. Aberdour is a fantastic course. I came really close to joining a few months back.

Couldn't turn it down - I've played it twice but both in winter, looking forward to it in the height of summer.

Thornton appeared to be doing a similar deal until we spoke with them...

£60 off your membership for 3 years if you're recommended by an existing member. Sounds great, but it's only for full membership (30+). So if you are 30 y/o you get your first three years at £420. Me being 29, this meant that I was paying MORE than someone at 30! Apparently they are already doing discount for 29 and under meaning they won't give you the additional £60. So as a 29 year old I'd be paying £440 for my first year then up to full adult rate the following year at £480.

Figure that out! Needless to say, Thornton aren't getting my business!

Couldn't turn it down - I've played it twice but both in winter, looking forward to it in the height of summer.

Thornton appeared to be doing a similar deal until we spoke with them...

£60 off your membership for 3 years if you're recommended by an existing member. Sounds great, but it's only for full membership (30+). So if you are 30 y/o you get your first three years at £420. Me being 29, this meant that I was paying MORE than someone at 30! Apparently they are already doing discount for 29 and under meaning they won't give you the additional £60. So as a 29 year old I'd be paying £440 for my first year then up to full adult rate the following year at £480.

Figure that out! Needless to say, Thornton aren't getting my business!

Yep, clubs sometimes just dont help themselves.

I'm surprised Thornton didn't look to work out a deal for you, getting a 29 year old into your club could be quite a bit of revenue for the club if you choose to stick around. Definitely worth a punt on bit of a bespoke deal.

Aberdour should bear up to the weather more due to its coastal position.

Yep, clubs sometimes just dont help themselves.

I'm surprised Thornton didn't look to work out a deal for you, getting a 29 year old into your club could be quite a bit of revenue for the club if you choose to stick around. Definitely worth a punt on bit of a bespoke deal.

Aberdour should bear up to the weather more due to its coastal position.

To make matters worse, there were at least 3 of us looking to join. We had assumed that we would get it for £440 minus the £60 so £380 for year one and then when we hit 30 it would rise to £420 for the following 2 years but no.

And to further muddy the waters, they wanted £50 on top of membership for some kind of course maintenance fund!

They obviously don't want new members!

• 2 weeks later...

If I could just get my chipping in some sort of order I'd knock a good number off my scores.

Any tips?

Good wedges makes a huge difference. Also what you are comfortable with. My recommendations are going to a range and trying out a few different brands and degrees. I use a 60 degree for pretty much any shot inside 30 yards, a 56 degree for anything inside 100 yards. It took me probably 2 years to get comfortable with the 60. Loads of flops that went a couple yards but with practice chipping is now one of my strongest parts of my game

I use these

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/wedges/mizuno-golf-mp-t5-white-satin-wedge-273965.html

Previously had the mpt57 and mpt60 which I would highly recommend second hand for around £20 a club, I still have my mpt57 set I think. Also recommend Cleveland wedges which I've had a couple sets and were excellent. Tbh I wouldn't buy new unless your happy to spend £120-£200 when you can get a decent set second hand online for £50 or so