Golfers Thread

Gaz

Great score but very surprised Speith isn`t playing Scottish Open or at least over in UK playing some links golf.

Seems a strange decision to me.

Made the commitment to play the John Deere as he feels it's important to him as it was his first victory ontour. Fair play for sticking to his guns, but I do feel a weeks preparation on links - even playing a couple of courses around here - would have been better preparation.

We caught a bit of Tiger yesterday, playing alongside some youngsters down the 17th and 18th.

More than a bit jealous of anyone heading out to the Open at the weekend.

I read somewhere that the tix are £80!!!!

Rickie Fowler birdied three of the last 4 holes to beat Matt Kuchar by one shot to win the Scottish Open. Marc Warren had hit a 64 to sit as clubhouse leader for a couple of hours before finally being overtaken by those 2 and Jacquelin. Some difference from Fowler's US Open display, although that was probably due to being jinxed by my having backed him.

Made the commitment to play the John Deere as he feels it's important to him as it was his first victory ontour. Fair play for sticking to his guns, but I do feel a weeks preparation on links - even playing a couple of courses around here - would have been better preparation.

Yes heard that tonight. As you say fair play to him.

Speith wins after a playoff, US Golf media go into overdrive.

Becoming a great player, but he's not the messiah guys!

Maybe not, but he's getting close and I suspect he will be good enough to win at St Andrews this week.

Not much point on betting on that - I was however very impressed with Marc Warren and Eddie Pepperill at Gullane. 150/1 and 200/1 respectively on PP.

FAO Davis Love111... Looking forward to your Open Preview.

Got my ticket for Sunday at St Andrews, looking forward to this already, hopefully the weather stays ok.

Cant see past Speith for this, especially if there is not much wind. If its a bit blowy then Rickie Fowler has shown he can handle these conditions so has to be up there.

The @bythemin golf open preview podcast with Geoff Ogilvy as guest is well worth a listen.

It's going to be different from most Old Course opens due to how wet the summer has been, the greens will probably be more receptive than usual. You can see from all the pictures how green the course looks.

Posted this on the open thread but I'll try here as well:

Does anyone know how the parking works at the Open? I've got a ticket for tomorrow with prepaid parking but there is nothing on the parking ticket to say where I should park. Is it just a case of driving up and picking the first car park site you see?

• 2 weeks later...

Hows everyone getting on with the golf? How crap has the weather been this month!!

I have been playing 2-3 times a week with football season being off and really enjoyed it. Few changes in the bag recently. I have had Callaway x hot irons for 2 years, not played alot and switched from Mizuno t Zoid to them. Never really "felt" them so started looking for new irons a few weeks ago and decided I wanted to go back to mizuno. Heart set on EZ Forged, not eveyones cup of tea but they actually look alright. Went in to hit them and it totally burst my bubble, they were not a good fit, lost about 2 clubs with them but if I am comparing like for like with lofts etc the EZ forged is a club behind the Callaway anyway taking that into consideration I am still a club down. I really wanted to like these clubs but they have a sustantial offset so I was throwing everything r to l when my irons are normally very straight which is weird as I checked offset on my Callaway clubs and turns out the have MORE offset than the EZ Forged?? I was very disappointed, even the fitter told me to forget these irons. He said he would go and get a few other irons/shafts, he said not to have a look at the sole or badge and just hit them. So hit 5 balls with each (4 different clubs) with varying result. Narrowed it down to 2 which I found out to be Titliest AP2 714 and Mizuno MP54 I hit more balls with each of these checked data etc

Long story short I ended up with a set of Mizuno MP54 with DG S300 shafts which I am over the moon with. I have "lost" a club length but the fact is these irons are more than 1 club weaker than my X Hots so although I have not gained any distance,maybe about the same as before, more importantly distance is defo NOT the reason I bought them. (AP2s going on average 4 yard carry more hitting 20 balls each)

The feel of Mizuno forged clubs is better than anything else in golf that I have experienced. So soft and responsive it took it to a new level for me and was a real discovery having not hit a club with anything like this experience before, I played a round last night and ended up hitting 4 iron off some par 4 tees to get better use of mid irons into greens lol Happiest I have been in ages with an iron in my hand, plus the looks are classic Mizuno which to me are amazing. I would urge anyone who is thinking of a new set to at least hit a mizuno forged (MP range I would recommend)

The hardest thing I found and it did catch me out a few times is although I know they are a club weaker I was still trying (stupidly) to hit same iron as X Hots thinking I can do this for it to drop short. Its in my head but I think it will take a few rounds to get used to this, especially when someone your playing with brings out a cranked 7i on a par 3 and hits it 170yds up a slope and you say I might struggle with a 6i here and have to take the 5 and you get all funny look as if you have not eaten your wheetabix. All lofts/lengths are not created equal!

I know they have been making these types for years and years and I am late on the bandwagon but just had to share this experience.

Also purchased SLDR 5 wood 19o loft and 7 wood at 23o loft, not got them yet but will have them on Monday and will be gamed early next week, maybe even Monday night.

FYI shot 81 last night with a 6 up the last which broke my heart as I though I was breaking 80 with first round with new irons. Putting and driving was the problem a mid 70`s round is defo within reach.

Happy golfing

I'm looking to try and get my Dad a round in the old course at St Andrews for his 60th, I notice they are coming up for pre-booking for 2016 shortly, has anyone had any experience of getting a tee time, because it's a gift I don't want to go down the ballot route, he has a handicap but im not a member anywhere, are they pretty strict on the handicap certificate?