Golfers Thread

Gaz

Watching the Houston Open, "fans" who shout "mashed potatoes" should be lined up in front of a firing squad imo.

Does anyone else listen to the @bythemingolf podcast? They've always been good with guests including Paul Lawrie and Chubby Chandler, but the last two with Tom Callahan and Hank Haney have been simply superb, brilliant insight into Tiger and his various travails of the last few years.

This.

It can`t be tough to identify the morons and eject them surely.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing with really old clubs and feel it's time for an upgrade.

Have started looking at new irons.

Anybody got any tips?

Depends on your standard of game really, also how seriously you take it and what you're looking for. And budget.

No need to spend loads, you can get some fantastic stuff really cheap second hand. With irons the grooves are your main concern, as long as they are still good you will get years out of them.

What's your handicap and how much would you be looking to spend? You can seriously pick up a cracking set of irons very cheap (I mean fifty quid cheap its amazing what's out there if you look) if you look around, or you could spend a grand if you want.

People will tell you you should go get custom fitted etc, tbh with irons that's really bollocks. All irons are made for the average sized man, so about 5'10" or 11, if you are around that size you don't need to, only if you are exceptionally tall or small.

The only decision you need to make is stiff or regular shafts, and if you want hybrids for the lower irons or not. If you are young-ish and swing quite quick you want stiff shafts, if you are getting on a wee bit and swing a wee bit slower you want regular.

Have a look on here to get some idea of what's out there, its a NZ site http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?&cid=607&searchType=&searchString=irons&x=0&y=0&searchregion=100&type=Search&sort_order=default&redirectFromAll=False&rptpath=5-&page=3&generalSearch_keypresses=5&generalSearch_suggested=0&generalSearch_suggestedCategory=

Edited by FuzzyAffro

People will tell you you should go get custom fitted etc, tbh with irons that's really bollocks. All irons are made for the average sized man, so about 5'10" or 11, if you are around that size you don't need to, only if you are exceptionally tall or small.

Bull.

Custom fitting is more than just the length of shaft, the angle of the head will also be adjusted to your swing, which will help with you pulling/pushing less often.

Yeah, so says your handy local pro who wants to make money from you. The angle of the head is also set to the average size of an adult male, if your swing is fairly neutral it matters not a jot. If your swing isn't neutral you want it to be.

These things matter, but only in very small margins for a very good golfer. For your average hacker totally unimportant and not worth bothering with. If you are going to spend £800 on brand new irons you might as well get it done as they'll do it free anyway, but generally its gimmicky and irrelevant.

For Sergio Garcia it's important, for you and I it's not. Nothing will help with pushing and pulling less often more than a decent swing that gets the clubface square at impact and travelling on a farily neutral path.

That's 99.9% of the battle, the angle of the head will make the other 0.1% difference. When you're good enough that that matters then get custom fitted.

I'm trying to save the guy some money FFS, knowing that people who don't really know what they're talking about will tell him to get custom fitted when its completely unnecessary and of very little benefit.

All he needs is a tiny bit of foreknowledge himself which I've tried to help with and custom fitting becomes largely redundant. If he has money to burn by all means get custom fitted but it really won't make any difference, all that matters is the right shaft.

It will only cost £25-60 anyway but is unnecessary and pointless in almost all cases. I have seen many people get it done and they find the best fit for them is the generic standard stuff that is sold anyway, as it is for the vast majority of people. Hint this is why they make it like that.

Should really have mentioned graphite too, used to be more for old people but a lot of decent younger players are using graphite shafted irons now, don't like them personally but some do.

Edited by FuzzyAffro

Sorry but I cannot understand why anyone would not get custom fitted for a new set of golf clubs, regardless of their ability.

Exactly.

For a low handicapper, it can make all the difference. For a mid to high handicapper, if you get a fitting with a good pro, it effectively acts as a lesson as well.

Because it can't make 'all' the difference and is gimmicky, unnecessary, frivolous and pointless. If you want to just smoke thirty quid as well feel free. It will make the tiniest, most insignificant and negligible difference to a low handicapper that they won't even notice. Hardly 'all' the difference.

I was trying to do the guy a favour, knowing that people with no clue what they're talking about would tell him to get custom fitted when in reality he's a hacker looking to buy a set of irons, not an architect looking to build a spaceship to go to Mars.

Its as easy as identify a decent set of irons and buy them, can be done in five minutes. All he needs to know is what shaft is right for him and he can do this, provided he is between 5'8" and 6'3" and not enormously fat. Also between fifteen and fifty-five years of age.

Almost everyone who gets custom fitted finds, remarkably enough, that standard clubs are best for them (as I already hinted that's why they make them that way) and remarkably often will find their pro 'recommends' a set they have been struggling to get rid of.

If he is shit go and buy set of AP1's get them cheap as hell now and they're solid. Wee bit better AP2's. There you go can't go wrong easy as that.

Here are some AP1's from that site in NZ cracking buy. Well I think so, don't actually know how much that is in pounds.

http://www.golfhome365.com/Discount-Titleist-AP1-714-Irons-1291.html

AP2's are for the slightly better player, but in all honesty are very, very easy to hit and game improvement irons too. If you are really bad AP1's are best for you but anywhere even approaching reasonable you will hit AP2's fine they are easy as hell, and slightly better clubs. Though AP1's are excellent clubs too and not for total idiots just a little easier to hit, they really are quality.

Those ones are brand new and you can choose your shaft, great buy.

The only stipulation I would make is whatever you buy you want a forged head not a cast one. Make sure they're forged, much better feel and performance.

Edited by FuzzyAffro

Thanks everybody.

I've tried out various makes at a warehouse place where they have computer graphics that show you distance, spin rates etc but my Pro says I should try these companies that 'fit' the clubs. No cost trial.

Will let you know what I end up with.

Just play loads of golf of any type and hit loads of balls. Any type of shot chip, putt, full shot or play a round any golf is good. The more you play the better you'll get, but it takes a long time and you have to keep at it.

Don't try and hit the ball hard, that's probably the best thing to build from. Its about having lots of different components working in unison - your hips, legs, arms, wrists, shoulders, upper body - all moving in time and together, and, unless you are Rory McIlroy, you can't do all that together quickly.

So if you try to hit it hard you only really swing your arms fast. If you swing easy and smooth the other parts will function hips etc and you will actually hit it further and straighter and more consistently.

Its counter-intuitive so people spend all their lives swinging too hard to hit it further when really if they were to swing slower it would go further anyway. And don't grip the club too tightly, make your grip just a tiny bit loose.

Bend the knees a little and keep your back fairly straight, and learn some indicators of a good swing. On the backswing you want your left shoulder below your chin and your back to the target, and at the end of the swing you want your weight on your left side and your beltbuckle facing the target. This means you have made a good 'turn'.

I think if you build your swing around these things - not swinging too hard, slightly loose grip, and making a good turn - then you'll do okay. And just play loads and loads hit as many shots of any type as humanly possible. Chipping, bunker and putting practice are good fun and very beneficial to scoring, a lot of people overlook them.

Wait a minute did you just say you're cack-handed? Seriously? As in hands the other way around? Scrap all of the above and take up tennis.

I've got a mate who plays off 15 cack handed. Still a bit embarrassed going out with him sometimes tbh.

But if you're not very good at the moment it should be pretty easy for you to change, no?

Edited by AberdeenBud

Any tips for cack handed golfers on here,apart from give up,just started playing and not very good so any pointers would be appreciated. :)

Two choices:

1. Enjoy your golf and improve slowly and peak at a level lower (ability, not handicap) than your potential

2. Get a lesson, change your grip, hit 1000 balls, repeat until comfortable and reach your potential

As for custom fitting, pros can do a wonderful job of fitting shafts, lie angles, heads, grips and everything else based on scientific facts and numbers. You will leave the place feeling wonderful.

That's fine for those who can repeat their swing from one day/week/month to the next. I would imagine that one lesson would knock that on the head. You'll then potentially find yourself with irons that no longer fit.

Shaft flex DOES NOT MATTER. Get what feels best when you swing.