Golfers Thread

Gaz

Thanks for the advice FuzzyAfro,i'll stick with the golf just now i'm pretty competent at tennis as it is ;)

I've got a mate who plays off 15 cack handed. Still a bit embarrassed going out with him sometimes tbh.

But if you're not very good at the moment it should be pretty easy for you to change, no?

Iv'e tried playing with a "normal" grip but it just feels so wrong and can't see me changing.Btw why are embarrassed about your mate?

Two choices:

1. Enjoy your golf and improve slowly and peak at a level lower (ability, not handicap) than your potential

2. Get a lesson, change your grip, hit 1000 balls, repeat until comfortable and reach your potential

I don't want to set the golfing world alight :) just to be at a reasonable level and have some golf fun without it messing with my head to much so numeral Un.

Thanks for the advice FuzzyAfro,i'll stick with the golf just now i'm pretty competent at tennis as it is ;)

Iv'e tried playing with a "normal" grip but it just feels so wrong and can't see me changing.Btw why are embarrassed about your mate?

I don't want to set the golfing world alight :) just to be at a reasonable level and have some golf fun without it messing with my head to much so numeral Un.

I'm only joking, I've seen quite a few decent cack-handed players. Usually they're Irish due to hurling. My advice still applies for cack-handed players its all the same.

I was jesting as well, I'm not really embarrassed he just gets a bit of friendly stick for being a cackie. But as you say as long you're enjoying yourself f**k it.

He does wish he changed when he was younger though as he prob had the potential to have a single figure handicap.

In my experience cack-handed players usually hit it right to left, and it looks like their wrists are going to snap halfway through the swing. But golf is very idiosyncratic so whatever works for each individual is great, look at all the different putting styles and grips you get.

In my experience cack-handed players usually hit it right to left, and it looks like their wrists are going to snap halfway through the swing. But golf is very idiosyncratic so whatever works for each individual is great, look at all the different putting styles and grips you get.

Yep. As Paul Azinger said during this year`s Masters whatever works is good as long as it works,

He also said golf is a simple game it`s just not easy.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Its far from easy but people work out their own way of doing it. Nobody would teach someone to play like Bubba Watson plays.

Anyway, came on here to announce to golf fans a FUCKING REVELATION!!!!! Seriously, played today and think I glimpsed the future, couldn't believe it.

Found a ball a few days ago, different to any ball I've seen before. This is it the JPX one http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/blog/three-new-balls-announced-for-march-2015/

It came out of the bag on the 8th tee after a vicious snap hook into the trees. Anyway so for my own standard I nailed it, great swing, but this thing just kept going. At the point you'd expect it to start dipping it carries on then when it comes down it seems to cover more ground too.

Remarkable. This thing went miles, biggest drive of the season for me. Second shot hit it okay but it just went a bit further than that contact merited. Again next hole carried some bunkers I always would go in with a pull-hook and was okay. Every full shot I hit with this ball definitely went significantly further than a Pro v1 goes with the same strike. Then after about five holes I lost it inevitably, but by this point I was a veteran convert and feeling all evangelical about this ball.

I genuinely think this ball will could be an absolute revelation and the start of a new technology jump in balls seeing even more distance with the same control I was genuinely amazed. Its incredible if you have a spare £35 I honestly think you could do worse than buy a dozen they're amazing.

Edit to add, genuinely sitting here with a morning after the night before feeling. Still can't believe how far that thing flew, its fucking revolutionary that dimple cluster thing is going to be revolutionary. Buy them!!!!

Edited by FuzzyAffro

• 2 weeks later...

How's everyone's season going? After having a good end to last year, dropping from 14 down to 8 and picking up 6 trophies. I'm having a shocker so far. 1 buffer and 5 0.1's. Eventually had to go for a lesson and although I am striking the ball better just can't seem to put a score together.

Although some of that has to be put down to the horrendous weather we've had every weekend since the season started.

How's everyone's season going? After having a good end to last year, dropping from 14 down to 8 and picking up 6 trophies. I'm having a shocker so far. 1 buffer and 5 0.1's. Eventually had to go for a lesson and although I am striking the ball better just can't seem to put a score together.

Although some of that has to be put down to the horrendous weather we've had every weekend since the season started.

Mixed bag. Started at 8.2 went up to 8.4 then down to 8.0 but have drifted back up to 8.4 again. Inconsistent of the tee which is generally a strength. Early days though.

Golfing at Aboyne and Ballater later this week. No pressure re handicap but the disadvantage of playing while hungover.

Can`t wait :P

Edited by Distant Doonhamer