Golfers Thread

Gaz

17 minutes ago, Herc said:

Those putting stats though. 44 out of 44 made inside 10ft by Harman.

That's been the difference, he's holed anything remotely makeable, and that's an absurd conversion rate.

Been a disappointing lack of coverage of Mikey Stewart, he has struggled from tee to green but only Harman has gained more strokes on the greens.

Screenshot_20230722_202902_Chrome.jpg

Edited by peasy23

Harman’s to throw away here. The rest of the field are cutting each others throats. He’s got one hand on the Claret Jug imo.

Edited by TheScarf

2 hours ago, Accies1 said:

The crowd shouts have ruined the viewing today. 

Seems some of the stuff being shouted wasn't particularly pleasant either, bit disappointing. Can't understand why they don't ID these clowns and show them the door!

Edited by Angus_Don

1 hour ago, Angus_Don said:

Seems some of the stuff being shouted wasn't particularly pleasant either, bit disappointing. Can't understand why they don't ID these clowns and show them the door!

I don't know if there was malicious intent, or not, but there was a shout of 'chicken tikka' when Sharma took a tee shot early in the round.

Intentional, or not, these shouts need to be discouraged as heavily as possible. Won't be long till some clown does it on a back swing and the player doesn't have time to stop.

5 minutes ago, Accies1 said:

I don't know if there was malicious intent, or not, but there was a shout of 'chicken tikka' when Sharma took a tee shot early in the round.

Intentional, or not, these shouts need to be discouraged as heavily as possible. Won't be long till some clown does it on a back swing and the player doesn't have time to stop.

That is absolutely disgraceful and blatantly racist, and hopefully they were removed straight away. This has definitely been the worst Open I’ve watched in my lifetime for the annoying shouts (and I would personally throw every single one of them out), but the above is genuinely disgusting.

45 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

That is absolutely disgraceful and blatantly racist, and hopefully they were removed straight away. This has definitely been the worst Open I’ve watched in my lifetime for the annoying shouts (and I would personally throw every single one of them out), but the above is genuinely disgusting.

Totally agree. This isnt a sport like football where theres a tangible benefit to the game having an atmosphere. And even then, you can cheer and applaud big putts, clutch shots around the green etc to your hearts content. If you are viewing at a tee box, you should applaud the group onto the tee if you want then shut the f**k up. Theres absolutely no reason for shouts around the tee box. Pure attention seeking to the detriment of everyone else trying to watch the golf, and in many cases, with many more to come no doubt, to the detriment of the players. Go the darts if you want to behave like a tedious, boorish knob  

What's also been disappointing, although not surprising, is the fact that as far as I've seen these moronic shouts have passed without any comment from the commentators. 

I've heard them criticise American galleries for this plenty of times. 

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

What's also been disappointing, although not surprising, is the fact that as far as I've seen these moronic shouts have passed without any comment from the commentators. 

I've heard them criticise American galleries for this plenty of times. 

Coltart had a right go at them yesterday and also blamed the Americans for bringing it into golf. Rich Beem got suitably offended and started waffling on about the UK having crowds are football matches who shout more or some pish. Coltart was saying it shouldn’t be allowed at all etc.

As for yesterday and today, it’s all gone a but meh. The absolute last thing you want to happen is someone going into today with a 5 shot lead on a course where it can be hard for someone to go on a proper run. I never saw a great deal of the action yesterday due to being at the fitba etc but I have the couch booked out for the entire day today. Lets hope Harman bogeys the first 3 and we get a proper final round battle on our hands.

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Totally agree. This isnt a sport like football where theres a tangible benefit to the game having an atmosphere. And even then, you can cheer and applaud big putts, clutch shots around the green etc to your hearts content. If you are viewing at a tee box, you should applaud the group onto the tee if you want then shut the f**k up. Theres absolutely no reason for shouts around the tee box. Pure attention seeking to the detriment of everyone else trying to watch the golf, and in many cases, with many more to come no doubt, to the detriment of the players. Go the darts if you want to behave like a tedious, boorish knob  

I've also noticed that when certain players were driving there was a huge roar and applause fron the crowd around the tee, even when they fucked it 30 yards wide into the rough. 

Can only echo the comments above about the shouting. It's got more frequent in the US and its now drifting into xenophobia and racism over here and personal abuse at Harman. Fucking grim stuff.

Hopefully it's not too bad at the Ryder Cup this year, but the next one will be at Bethpage Black with thousands of pissed up New Yorkers. Could be an utter shitshow.

25 minutes ago, Herc said:

Can only echo the comments above about the shouting. It's got more frequent in the US and its now drifting into xenophobia and racism over here and personal abuse at Harman. Fucking grim stuff.

Hopefully it's not too bad at the Ryder Cup this year, but the next one will be at Bethpage Black with thousands of pissed up New Yorkers. Could be an utter shitshow.

I also think LIV and their outright desire to have this sort of thing be the atmosphere has brought these types to the sport. PGA Tour with events like the Waste Management are also actively encouraging this shite behaviour.

Back to the present, it’s absolutely rubbish when the last day of a major is a procession, so boring. Need to hope for an incredible bottle job but realistically there’s no chance and it’s just going to be a comfortable win.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Coltart had a right go at them yesterday and also blamed the Americans for bringing it into golf. Rich Beem got suitably offended and started waffling on about the UK having crowds are football matches who shout more or some pish. Coltart was saying it shouldn’t be allowed at all etc.

Fair enough, I must have missed that. 

It really is rubbish and judging by their expressions at times yesterday, I'm not sure that the likes of McIlroy and Fleetwood were particularly enamoured by it all, and they were supposedly on the receiving end of the 'support'.