Golfers Thread

Gaz

50 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I've seen Donald mention the guys that just missed out such as Meronk, but did he not think to read this very read and consider handing a wildcard to someone from P&B?

I'm on the injured list just now is probably why I never got the call

Edited by doulikefish

23 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Who are the biggest hitters and the best short game guys in the European team? I always think the best pairs usually consist of one guy who can smack the ball into next week and a guy who putts well.

In terms of big hitters, McIlroy and Rahm will be the biggest from the PGA tour and i’d imagine that Hojgaard would be up there as well.

Fitzpatrick, Hatton and Fleetwood will be the best putters.

15 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

In terms of big hitters, McIlroy and Rahm will be the biggest from the PGA tour and i’d imagine that Hojgaard would be up there as well.

Fitzpatrick, Hatton and Fleetwood will be the best putters.

Yeah, Hojgaard is very long; Bob is also a pretty long hitter.  Lowry is a very straight hitter, which will have been one of the reasons he was picked.

I'd say Straka and Lowry are noticeably bad short putters atm though.

Quite enjoyed this No Laying Up video around the Marco Simone course - it looks absolutely brutal and accuracy off the tee will be important otherwise drives will find deep hay.  Does this actually benefit Europe? 

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I've seen Donald mention the guys that just missed out such as Meronk, but did he not think to read this very read and consider handing a wildcard to someone from P&B?

I think my fresh air shot and 2 penalty drops while taking 9 at the first hole in our Autumn Meeting on Saturday might have counted against me.

15 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I think my fresh air shot and 2 penalty drops while taking 9 at the first hole in our Autumn Meeting on Saturday might have counted against me.

Il let my son show you how many balls I lost tonight. Including a couple on the 1st hole.

Credit where it’s due, I think Luke made the right call leaving me at home. I’m obviously disappointed but il continue to support the lads from home. 

bring it home lads

IMG_8167.jpeg

Edited by lichtie23

On 03/09/2023 at 18:05, doulikefish said:

Lowry has been off the pace for months 

On 03/09/2023 at 18:38, funky_nomad said:

Lowry will probably get a pick, but I'd agree with that. He hasn't really looked interested for a while, either.

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Lowry gets in just as Rorys partner I think. Not sure I agree with it either but maybe not the worst idea having another experienced guy there (and Rorys best mate) with quite a few new guys coming onto the team. 

I agree Lowry is a bit fortunate to be in given the calibre of player missing out. That said he was top 20 in 3 of the 4 Majors this year albeit he missed the cut in the most recent one. He does have a bit of form in the biggest events.

The Open missed cut. (Meronk Tied 23rd, Paul Missed Cut, Bjork Tied 41st)

US Open Tied 20th (Meronk Missed Cut, Paul and Bjork did not play)

USPGA Tied 12th. (Meronk Tied 40th, Paul tied 69th, Bjork did not play)

Masters Tied 16th (Meronk Missed Cut, Paul and Bjork did not play)

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

6 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I holed a birdie putt on the 16th at Bishopbriggs this afternoon about 1.15, must have been just to late to sway him.

Or maybe he saw the other 17 holes too. 🙈

14 hours ago, Donathan said:

I'd go for 4 pods of 3 that will practice in three balls and one pair from each pod will play in each session

Pod 1: Rory McIlroy, Robert McIntyre, Nicolai Hojgaard

Pod 2: John Rahm, Tyrell Hatton, Shane Lowry

Pod 3: Victor Hovland, Tommy Fleetwood, Ludvig Aberd

Pod 4: Matthew Fitzpatrick, Justin Rose, Sepp Straka

Good mix of youth/experience (both in age and Ryder Cup record) in each pod. Very deliberately put Fitzpatrick (0-5 all time across two Ryder Cups) with the very experienced Rose. McIlroy is the only one that gets two rookies in his pod with him. Pairings that have done decently together in the past (Hatton with both Rahm and Lowey, and Hovland with Fleetwood) are in the same pods again.

There's absolutely no chance Rory and Lowry aren't paired together.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Saw the Peter Finch video around Marco Simone, the rough around that course makes US open stuff seem like a fairway. Plenty of long irons off the tee. 

It was up to his chest at points! I wonder if it will be as bad as that at the event or if it will have been cut back a bit 

Played in two seniors comps, Tues & Wed. On Tues played at Deer Park in Livingston. Four fcuking hours fifty minutes. Was strokeplay and they had fourballs. FFS. Fourballs and strokeplay for a seniors. Four. Fcuking. Hours. Fifty. Minutes. Carded an N/R due to losing the will to live.

Played in our own seniors at Kirky this morning. Threeball, stableford… 3hrs 35mins dead. Superb. Played like a fud and amassed the grand total of 25 stableford points to finish 99th. 😁

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Played in two seniors comps, Tues & Wed. On Tues played at Deer Park in Livingston. Four fcuking hours fifty minutes. Was strokeplay and they had fourballs. FFS. Fourballs and strokeplay for a seniors. Four. Fcuking. Hours. Fifty. Minutes. Carded an N/R due to losing the will to live.

Played in our own seniors at Kirky this morning. Threeball, stableford… 3hrs 35mins dead. Superb. Played like a fud and amassed the grand total of 25 stableford points to finish 99th. 😁

Guy I played with on Monday was playing at the Kirky seniors, think he was due out at 1pm.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Guy I played with on Monday was playing at the Kirky seniors, think he was due out at 1pm.

Course was in magnificent condition. One of our threeball was a Lenzie member and said our greens were in the top three he’s played all year. Deer Park’s greens were great too, as was their whole course. Especially the bunkers at Deer Park - looked like they’d been trimmed around the edges with nail scissors. I had plenty time to admire them mind you. Turned around the trees to approach Deer Park’s Par 3 4th hole and their were 11 guys on the tee. A fourball teeing off, the fourball in front of us waiting, and our threeball who putted out on the 3rd and walked over to join them. One of our fourball hadn’t racked up at all so we got sent out amongst all the fourballs as a three. Eleven guys on one tee. Thing is, I never knew it was fourball strokeplay. My mate is a member at Deer Park and phoned me two nights before it to say there was a cancellation at his 10.36 tee time and I could jump online and get it. I wasn’t meant to be playing, it was a last minute thing. I rolled up not knowing. 😝