Darts...

Sideshow

There's some fairly harsh criticism of Anderson on this thread considering he fundamentally lost it by two legs. I know 4-0 looks bad but it was actually a pretty close match. The better player won but Anderson hardly collapsed. It was an unlucky draw for him too with Baxter's average one of the best at this stage.

There's some fairly harsh criticism of Anderson on this thread considering he fundamentally lost it by two legs.

Took me a few seconds to work out what you meant but I assume your saying he lost by twice losing the darts ? For me that's a fairly weak excuse. To lose 4-0 is 4-0 no matter the leg scores. Ando needs to grow a pair and start winning these sort of games or at the very least winning sets. I'd say 2010 is make or break for Gary in the PDC.

There's some fairly harsh criticism of Anderson on this thread considering he fundamentally lost it by two legs. I know 4-0 looks bad but it was actually a pretty close match. The better player won but Anderson hardly collapsed. It was an unlucky draw for him too with Baxter's average one of the best at this stage.

Anderson is unfortunately getting a reputation as a serial underperformer when it comes to the big pressure matches, not just last night but over the last few years since he rose quickly to No 1 in the BDO rankings.

He had a poor record at Lakeside prior to his move over to the PDC, he was superb in tour events which gained him the points to get him to No 1, but in front of the TV cameras & big crowds (and expectation) he just could not produce the goods to win or even get to the final of the BDO world's.

He knew when he made the switch to the PDC that the spotlight would be greater, the crowds & venues would be bigger and he would have to shape up quickly to compete at the top, so much as i feel disappointed for him, and yes he did have a difficult draw, he has the game to compete with anyone in the PDC but if he cannot control his own negative feelings & nerves then he will turn into the next Chris Mason, (remember when he was the world champion in waiting?)

Here's hoping he can prove me wrong, it's been too long since we had a Scottish World Champion. :(

Took me a few seconds to work out what you meant but I assume your saying he lost by twice losing the darts ? For me that's a fairly weak excuse. To lose 4-0 is 4-0 no matter the leg scores. Ando needs to grow a pair and start winning these sort of games or at the very least winning sets. I'd say 2010 is make or break for Gary in the PDC.

It's not an excuse, it's a statement of fact.

Yes he lost and Baxter was the better player and deserved to win but it was a close match where dropping two legs where he had the darts at the end of the 2nd and 4th sets was the difference.

His performance in the final leg was pretty pitiful but prior to that he'd played ok to be honest. By comparison he'd have murdered both players in the Part / Shepherd match earlier for a start.

It's not an excuse, it's a statement of fact.

Yes he lost and Baxter was the better player and deserved to win but it was a close match where dropping two legs where he had the darts at the end of the 2nd and 4th sets was the difference.

His performance in the final leg was pretty pitiful but prior to that he'd played ok to be honest. By comparison he'd have murdered both players in the Part / Shepherd match earlier for a start.

He wasn't good enough last night, end of story. The format is what it is and to be honest Anderson looked ordinary throughout the match. His scoring wasn't even upto average standard.

I've seen Baxter play a helluva lot better than that and lose. That's how far back Anderson is from the top boys in the PDC.

Edited by dubs

I love Anderson playing. For anyone who likes a punt he's always massively overestimated.

Had a nibble on Caven in the first round at Silly-to-1 and wired into Baxter as well last night. Shame the rest of my bets didn't go so well.

I love Anderson playing. For anyone who likes a punt he's always massively overestimated.

Had a nibble on Caven in the first round at Silly-to-1 and wired into Baxter as well last night. Shame the rest of my bets didn't go so well.

Wish I had your bottle, 13/8 was far too big on Baxter but Anderson DOES have talent and can blow folk away when he's on it. By the time you realised he clearly wasn't on it last night Baxter was already over the hills and far away and about 1/3 on.

Wish I had your bottle, 13/8 was far too big on Baxter but Anderson DOES have talent and can blow folk away when he's on it. By the time you realised he clearly wasn't on it last night Baxter was already over the hills and far away and about 1/3 on.

To be honest, it is a blanket bet. I just always oppose Anderson, no matter who he is playing. The fact he's a bottle merchant just helps matters.

I can't stand Ronnie Baxter either - I think it's the Union Jack thing he has going.

Where does all the hype for anderson come from though ? I mean what has he ever done to be considerd as a front runner for a tournament or top ten material.

He's a "great board/tournament player" - i.e. bottles it on the big stage when there are cameras and people watching.

He wasn't good enough last night, end of story. The format is what it is and to be honest Anderson looked ordinary throughout the match. His scoring wasn't even upto average standard.

I didn't say he was good enough last night. He wasn't.

All I said was he wasn't as bad as you would think reading some of the criticism on here. He lost, whilst playing ok (not exceptional by any means but not badly either), to a better player on the night.

All I said was he wasn't as bad as you would think reading some of the criticism on here. He lost, whilst playing ok (not exceptional by any means but not badly either), to a better player on the night.

Bottom line is he got pumped 4 zip in a match most expected to be relatively close. Lest we forget the objective in this format is to hold your throw and break your opponents. He failed to achieve either to the required standard. Northenscum's Chris Mason comparison was a decent one. Plenty of talent but mentally weak.

Edited by RedWeb

Looking forward to seeing Lewis tonight having missed his first two games when by all accounts he has been magnificent. He should have too much for McDine.

Missing the afternoon session sadly. Will keep an eye on this thread for updates.