Rugby Union

kiwififer

The 2 South African teams will need time to find their feet possibly. They will target most of their home games to make a mark. Away from home might be tough at least initially but they showed they're quick teams with international 7's experience, especially the Cheetahs. However I don't think they'll turn up like lambs to the slaughter like the Italians (especially Zebre) I don't think Ulster fans will care to admit that they may have had nerves in the early stages. 

Most importantly Connacht v Glasgow. The real winner was the wind. Especially when Horne's early penalty was heading over until the wind pushed it back. Playing in the middle of the park with a wet ball obviously led to the risk of handling errors. Would have been trailing only 6-3 at ht but for Ashe to fancy running the ball in his own half which only led to a Connacht penalty. However they had the conditions and must have been annoyed at such a narrow lead. 

We were far more savvy with the conditions in the 2nd half and scored 2 good tries. Made it tough for ourselves at the end when we booted the ball anywhere except out. 

Overall we were away, Connacht were favourites, conditions were awful and we had key players missing through injury and rest. All considered it was a great win and I'm delighted. Ospreys visit next Saturday and hopefully we'll be stronger. They beat Zebre at home but missed the BP. 

Also my home town team were away to Sligo lol, so it'd be interesting to hear if they had the same weather issues... 

Thought Ashe was poor, he needs to control the ball better at the back of the scrums as Price was struggling to get it out. Hastings needs to put more zip on his passes most seemed to be floated, although he was maybe being sympathetic due to the weather which was dreadful. Kebble must have wondered what he signed up for in his first game. All in we could have been a lot smarter but will take me away win

Thought Ashe was poor, he needs to control the ball better at the back of the scrums as Price was struggling to get it out. Hastings needs to put more zip on his passes most seemed to be floated, although he was maybe being sympathetic due to the weather which was dreadful. Kebble must have wondered what he signed up for in his first game. All in we could have been a lot smarter but will take me away win

Id tend to agree about Ashe but he won man of the match did he not?
I though Jackson should have got it. Showed great maturity and composure second half

54 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Any celebrities for Zebre? They are currently (ho ho) propping up the bar at Bristol airport. Fairly ludicrously shaped people.

Maxime Mbanda would be the only one I'd have thought. He's seen as the next big thing by the Italians.

Glasgow reporting that Adam Hastings suffered an "extensive laceration" to his thigh, although he was discharged last night. No return to play date yet. Johnson was a head knock and will be assessed on Monday for RTPP

Maxime Mbanda would be the only one I'd have thought. He's seen as the next big thing by the Italians.
Glasgow reporting that Adam Hastings suffered an "extensive laceration" to his thigh, although he was discharged last night. No return to play date yet. Johnson was a head knock and will be assessed on Monday for RTPP

Relatively good news about Hastings. Watching it live it looked a bad one. Tough baptism for him. Thought both half backs struggled with the conditions n it took Jackson's experience to steady the ship. They will have learnt from it though n they will rarely play in worse weather for rugby

Not really Scottish rugby related but a big piece of transfer news nevertheless.  As of next season Dan Biggar is at Ospreys.

However, in other news, Finn Russell was interviewed in a very recent issue of Rugby World and he's a bit stumped about all the runours of his link with Montpellier.  On the other hand, he does say that he's under contract this season and Rennie needs to get a chance with the squad this season.  He's quoted as saying that the Top 14 will just have to wait.  Interesting...

Edited by come on shire

Not really Scottish rugby related but a big piece of transfer news nevertheless.  As of next season Dan Biggar is at Ospreys.
However, in other news, Finn Russell was interviewed in a very recent issue of Rugby World and he's a bit stumped about all the runours of his link with Montpellier.  On the other hand, he does say that he's under contract this season and Rennie needs to get a chance with the squad this season.  He's quoted as saying that the Top 14 will just have to wait.  Interesting...

That's odd I was sure it was a done deal n that he was heading there start of next season??

I've never found any confirmation that Finn is off to Montpellier. I'm not really sure why he'd want to (from a playing point of view, obviously getting paid great money to live in the South of France must be quite nice) either given Cotter never really got the best out of him (the Australia game in June was easily the most comfortable I've seen him look in a Scotland shirt) and he'll have Aaron Cruden to compete with. 

I've never found any confirmation that Finn is off to Montpellier. I'm not really sure why he'd want to (from a playing point of view, obviously getting paid great money to live in the South of France must be quite nice) either given Cotter never really got the best out of him (the Australia game in June was easily the most comfortable I've seen him look in a Scotland shirt) and he'll have Aaron Cruden to compete with. 

Agree on all those points. Perhaps because the story appeared in so many outlets gave it extra credibility plus you can see why sides would want him. Delighted if he does stay n helps develop Hastings