Rugby Union

kiwififer

For Glasgow I'm surprised that Thompson hasn't had more game time this season as I thought he looked good while on loan last year at least on a par with what I've seen of Hastings this year.

On a Scotland front I've been very impressed with Marco so far. Had never seen him play prior to Samoa game but has been really solid.

Also feel a bit sorry for Turner. As a rugby player he is very good, he is just nowhere near being ready to play hooker at international level

Glasgow have signed winger Max McFarland on a partnership contract with Scotland 7s for the rest of the season, it is reported that Bristol have offered Jonny Grey a contract. 

Edinburgh have  signed fly-half Simon Hickey (former NZ U20 captain) from Bordeaux and he will join at the end of the season. Tight-head prop Elliot Millar-Mills has also been signed by Edinburgh from Yorkshire Carnegie as injury cover for the rest of the season.

20 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Glasgow have signed winger Max McFarland on a partnership contract with Scotland 7s for the rest of the season, it is reported that Bristol have offered Jonny Grey a contract. 

Edinburgh have  signed fly-half Simon Hickey (former NZ U20 captain) from Bordeaux and he will join at the end of the season. Tight-head prop Elliot Millar-Mills has also been signed by Edinburgh from Yorkshire Carnegie as injury cover for the rest of the season.

Elliot Millar-Mills will end up in the Scotland team in about twenty minutes at this rate.

27 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Feel sorry for Lee Jones dropping out the squad completely, thought he had a good game vs NZ. 

Berghan, Gilchrist and Wilson coming in for Fagerson, Toolis and Du Preez is much of a muchness, although Toolis and Du Preez can probably feel abit more agreeved

The bench is certainly a lot less lightweight.  

Wouldn't be surprised to see Maitland and Seymour switch wings from that starting XV, not that it matters much.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Feel sorry for Lee Jones dropping out the squad completely, thought he had a good game vs NZ. 

Berghan, Gilchrist and Wilson coming in for Fagerson, Toolis and Du Preez is much of a muchness, although Toolis and Du Preez can probably feel abit more agreeved

See to be fair, there isn't really much difference for forwards whether you start or are in the bench these days I reckon. I wonder if these guys even get upset about not starting anymore?

Shite for Jones though. I thought he'd been excellent. Not sure why McGuigan gets the bench ahead of him unless he's injured.

6 hours ago, GAD said:

See to be fair, there isn't really much difference for forwards whether you start or are in the bench these days I reckon. I wonder if these guys even get upset about not starting anymore?

Shite for Jones though. I thought he'd been excellent. Not sure why McGuigan gets the bench ahead of him unless he's injured.

Wilson for Du Preez will be to give us more competition against Hooper at the breakdown. Agree on Toolis v Gilchrist, though Gilchrist was pretty good when he came on against NZ.

Tough call on Jones, but he is pretty much only a winger, whereas McGuigan can cover centre, wing and full back.

20 hours ago, GAD said:

Yeah if you are on the bench your pretty much guaranteed half an hour at least, although with the amount of injuries Scotland players get there's a good chance of being on in the first half

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:26, Jeek said:

Bristol is usually dead easy but they are doing a lot of engineering works at weekends here at the moment around Bristol Parkway so it may include a bit of bussing! may not affect you but just letting you know.

Yeah so that's me booked up.  Just over £200 sees me get return flights Edinburgh to Bristol, return shuttle bus from airport and Temple Meads, return train from Temple Meads to Swansea and a match ticket. 

If all goes to plan train gets in at 12:45pm so a taxi to the ground for kick off :)

Despite being a Glasgow fan I'm really looking forward to a sharp finish from work to catch the Edinburgh game at the Cheetahs (game kicks-off at 5:30pm UK time live on BBC Alba btw).  Despite being on a 5 game winning run this is a major test.  Apart from when the Warriors visited, Cheetahs are unbeaten at home so have turned their home ground into a bit of a fortress and it'll be interesting to see if Edinburgh can deal with, without exaggeration, a team of sprinters.

Edinburgh are on a 5 game winning streak.  You can only play what's in front of you but lets be mindful that these wins were vs the 2 Italian teams and an Ospreys team who have been absolutely horrendous so far this season in the league, and in Europe vs Krasny Yar who were the 2nd Challenge Cup qualifiers and a weakened London Irish team who are doing their usual flirting with relegation domestically.

So basically this is a massive acid test, if Edinburgh nick a win tonight then other teams will take notice imho and may indicate a turning of the corner.  If they lose, it would probably still indicate a lot of work still to be done.  Either way, I'd still fancy them to get a win away to the Southern Kings next weekend.

Edited by come on shire

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Is Duncan Taylor injured?

As far as I am aware he is still injured (he was when the squad was originally announced), and to be fair there is only Harris, Grigg and Burleigh in the squad who are centre's and I would rather have Horne that either of those 3. Horne is a very different player to Dunbar but as Dunbar has been on the HIA protocols all week (as was Fagerson) im sure they have been working with Horne in mind all week.

I think the only other option would have been moving Jones inside, where he has been playing in the currie cup most weeks, but i think that would have weakend us even futher