Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 minute ago, same_ol_g35 said:

I haven't watched Rugby league in over 20 years. But I'm pretty sure my point still stands about his upbringing in the code which was well before that time. 

I take your point, but he played his first union at 14, and his first game for Sarries at 17. He's been playing pro Union for 10 years, so he doesn't really have any excuse.

I'd be more inclined to say he's a cheap shot artist, and it seems the net is closing on him now.

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I take your point, but he played his first union at 14, and his first game for Sarries at 17. He's been playing pro Union for 10 years, so he doesn't really have any excuse.

I'd be more inclined to say he's a cheap shot artist, and it seems the net is closing on him now.

I agree. He totally is a cheap shot artist. I was just trying to play devil's advocate. But to be fair the p***k doesn't deserve it. 

That wasn't pretty, even with my less then expert eye. Last game I was at was Australia last year so this didn't exactly reach those heights!

Did anyone else experience the bag drop queue after the game? Any bags that stewards deemed too big had to be put into the back of a lorry for a charge of £10 (unless you could find somewhere else to put it).  After the game there was a big queue and they're didn't seem to be any sort of system used to store the bags in the back of a lorry.  We probably had a 40 minute wait after the game to get the bag.  I know others had a much longer wait.  Lesson learnt for me.  I assumed my fiancée bag would be fine when I skimmed over the bit saying small bags only and didn't think to measure it. Won't make that mistake again but the whole thing was a shambles.  Some tags had fallen off bags so folks were having to describe their bags to the G4S staff and the £10 charge was blatent profiteering.  I also read that as it went on stewards were taking bags up and down the queue shouting it's number out.

Watched the England game back. Farrell got away with another shoulder charge, in a position that would have meant a penalty try & yellow card. Peyper didn't go to the TMO, and nor the TMO flag it up.
Australia went back to their recent pish after that.
https://twitter.com/RugbyLAD7/status/1066357134873497600
According to a large number of England fans there was nothing wrong with the tackle. With the only reason it is getting brought up I'd everyone is sacred of them winning the Six Nations and the World Cup

16 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Not the best game, but it's the type of game we tend to lose, so delighted we saw it out against really tough, dogged opposition. It will be good for us going forward. On the Laidlaw/Horne point, with the game that tight, we needed Greig on the pitch to give an element of control. As much as I'd love to see Horne on the pitch, that wasn't the game for him.

Farrell really lucky again in the England game, Peyper suggesting that the Aussie ball carrier had dropped his shoulder as well was utter nonsense. He's allowed to, the tackler is not. Australia were shite though, but England will no doubt think they are world beaters again off the back of it.

Wales are getting away with fucking murder again against SA.

ETA: even the one-eyed Jonathan Davies has just mentioned he thinks Wales are getting the best of the ref.

I'm more encouraged by the All Blacks game than yesterday. We were fantastic in the first half against NZ and really should have won the game.

Yesterday was decent, but Australia were bloody awful. And yes, it was a clear penalty try/yellow card for Farrell. No idea what the ref was thinking.

Edited by Carl Cort's Hamstring

17 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
17 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
Pretty poor game today. Argentina probably would have won if they had taken their kicks.
£5 for a bottle of tennants though.
emoji38.png20181124_141858.thumb.jpg.31ad8e82fc578e138f6c92bb0a295764.jpg

If Argentina had scored the 3 kicks they missed and Scotland had scored the two kicks they missed. Scotland would have won. Unsure of your kicking point. Too much Tom English perhaps?

IIRC Argentina missed 4 kicks, and 3 of them were very straightforward. They missed kicks that shouldn't be missed at any level of professional rugby. Scotland's misses were much tougher, there's no equivalence between them. We were very lucky and the fact that we won shouldn't paper over the cracks. 

IIRC Argentina missed 4 kicks, and 3 of them were very straightforward. They missed kicks that shouldn't be missed at any level of professional rugby. Scotland's misses were much tougher, there's no equivalence between them. We were very lucky and the fact that we won shouldn't paper over the cracks. 
Only one of Sanchez kicks was a gimmie. Laidlaws last kick was a gimmie too but he just didn't have the length. It was a good win, let's just be happy. We absolutely toasted Fiji and look what they did last night. It was an okish November, could have been much better.

I think the problem with the AI's is that it was more about trying out players  combinations rather than the results, although obviously the wins are important. I dont think we saw a full strength team in any of the games (SA was the closest we got to that). I think though we are in a good place going into the 6N, now that Strauss is back in the fold, would have been good to get Thompson involved though. We now have geniune competition for every position, and apart from at 10, where Russell is head and shoulders above Hastings, and there is no one else to bring in (Horne, Jackson and Weir are quite a drop in standard). For every other position even with a lot of injuries you wouldn't notice too much of a drop as the replacements are all of a decent standard. We've got a pool now of close to 50 players at least that are all international class players, which is not something we have had in my lieftime

Loosehead behind Dell is a concern but I think by the the World Cup Hastings will be a good second choice. Sanchez is a quality 10 so if he is missing kicks it’s not like we’re getting away with some shitty kicker missing, all good kickers have days like that and it could easily happen to Sexton (he had a shocking day off the ground v Wales during the six nations) at the World Cup which gives us a win. It doesn’t make you lucky if the opposition miss kicks.

Edited by afca32

We are being talked about in a very similar way to how Wales were at the end if the last AIs. Just like then, I don't think we are anywhere near as bad as we are being made out to be. It might not do us too much harm to be back under the radar and written off just now to be honest. I don't think at any point this series did we put out our best team, even discounting injuries, and it showed.

I also think we clearly used the Wales game as a vehicle to test out a pick and go forward dominated game. I'm not saying we lost on purpose, but the patterns we played were very un-townsend like, same in the first half against Fiji. I think there is more in the tank and we might get a few surprises come the 6 nations and world cup.

Edited by GAD

Watching Glasgow on Fri night was like poetry. They had a similar team to us regarding absentees but they just couldn't live with us. We'll need to be better for the Scarlets game but just a week on from the autumn tests they'll be resting a few players I think (I hope). After all, the Welsh backline is basically Scarlets.

Scotland weren't great but we got the job done in poor weather vs a team who loves an arm wrestle. Our defence was excellent imo. The Pumas are on a losing streak but still beat SA at home then Oz away at the end of summer. Barring 2, all of the Pumas squad play for the Jaguares Super Rugby team so they'll know each other inside out.

Edited by come on shire

10 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
10 hours ago, GordonS said:

Only one of Sanchez kicks was a gimmie. Laidlaws last kick was a gimmie too but he just didn't have the length. It was a good win, let's just be happy. We absolutely toasted Fiji and look what they did last night. It was an okish November, could have been much better.

Watch https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bssg0q/rugby-union-201819-12-scotland-v-argentina

39:32 Sanchez misses from straight in front of the posts, 30m out. Peter Wright says "You'd put your mortgage on Sanchez kicking that. Argentina, a nation of soccer players, natural kickers, there's no rationale as to why he would miss that kick."

52:27 Boffelli misses from 45m, fairly straight. No gimme, but most kicks from there go over in international rugby.

1:37:59 Sanchez misses from 45m, almost straight, again no gimme, but most of those go over, especially from him.

2:00:59 Sanchez misses from 35m, straight. This is bread-and-butter territory in professional rugby.

At least two of those kicks absolutely should have gone over. Argentina lost that match more than Scotland won it, so I can't be happy. The performance, especially in the first half, was easily the worst at home in 3.5 years. This is the last end-year international before the World Cup and we're the least settled of any of rugby's big 8 except for France. 

9 hours ago, afca32 said:

Loosehead behind Dell is a concern but I think by the the World Cup Hastings will be a good second choice. Sanchez is a quality 10 so if he is missing kicks it’s not like we’re getting away with some shitty kicker missing, all good kickers have days like that and it could easily happen to Sexton (he had a shocking day off the ground v Wales during the six nations) at the World Cup which gives us a win. It doesn’t make you lucky if the opposition miss kicks.

It is luck. It's one of the few things in sport that really does come down to pure luck. Once you've given the penalty away in a kickable location, you're relying on luck for it not to go over. We got lucky that a good kicker had a bad day - otherwise, we lose that game. One win from four in the autumn would have been a pretty disappointing return.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Watch https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bssg0q/rugby-union-201819-12-scotland-v-argentina

39:32 Sanchez misses from straight in front of the posts, 30m out. Peter Wright says "You'd put your mortgage on Sanchez kicking that. Argentina, a nation of soccer players, natural kickers, there's no rationale as to why he would miss that kick."

52:27 Boffelli misses from 45m, fairly straight. No gimme, but most kicks from there go over in international rugby.

1:37:59 Sanchez misses from 45m, almost straight, again no gimme, but most of those go over, especially from him.

2:00:59 Sanchez misses from 35m, straight. This is bread-and-butter territory in professional rugby.

At least two of those kicks absolutely should have gone over. Argentina lost that match more than Scotland won it, so I can't be happy. The performance, especially in the first half, was easily the worst at home in 3.5 years. This is the last end-year international before the World Cup and we're the least settled of any of rugby's big 8 except for France. 

It is luck. It's one of the few things in sport that really does come down to pure luck. Once you've given the penalty away in a kickable location, you're relying on luck for it not to go over. We got lucky that a good kicker had a bad day - otherwise, we lose that game. One win from four in the autumn would have been a pretty disappointing return.

I dont think we are that unsettled, I think a first 15 picks itself, and everyone knows how we want to play. What Toonie has been doing during the autumn internationals is giving the back ups plenty of game time and trying new formations. Ritchie, Skinner and Hastings have come in a cemented a place in the squad, Strauss is back in the fold. I thought Alex Allan put in a decent shift when called on up front, after some good performances for Glasgow. 

I would say know our best team is 

Dell

Brown / McInally

Nell

Gray

Skinner

Watson

Barclay

Strauss / Wilson

Laidlaw / Horne

Russell

Seymour

Dunbar

Jones

Maitland

Hogg

Toss up at hooker, scrum half depends on opposition and no. 8 I still dont think is nailed down, plus we have plenty on the bench.