Rugby Union

kiwififer

That is a real statement to beat pretty much their first XV with the seconds. To do it with a man down for most of the game is even better. This could be a good year! Grigg is heavily pushing for a first team pick in the big games.

A great win. Kebble was so good when he came on that you could almost say the card helped Glasgow. Jackson played the best he has for a while and ran hard into contact. Ashe, Turner, Grigg and Niko are absolutely brilliant guys to have as back ups and Cummins, McDowell and Nairn will hopefully develop into first XV players.

They have scored some amazing tries recently but the one that got chopped off could have been the best. The Scarlets third try was definitely further forward. Having an ex Munster player ref this game was a joke but that's the Pr'O 14

Well that was eventful.

After 20 minutes, I had a horrible feeling I was in for another night like last night.  I was pretty much right in line with Allan's incident, and immediately thought he might be in trouble. What a performance after that though. The forwards were superb, with a much vaunted Scarlets scrum getting a pasting from 7 men a couple of times, and another couple on our own ball when Stafford McDowall went onto the flank for balance. Swinson, Turner and Kebble had massive games, and Thomson managed the game brilliantly at 10. Special mention to Matt Smith, who was the unlucky one who went off after the red, because he had started superbly.

On the consistency, Glasgow fans get a fair bit of stick from others for moaning about refs, but there were 5 big decisions tonight, and the Scarlets got the benefit of the doubt on them all. Allan's red (which I think they got right), Nairn's disallowed try (very tight, could have gone either way), the Scarlets try (same as Nairn), the Scarlets high shot (no different from Allan), and the tackle in the air from the kick-off, which should have been a yellow, but was only a penalty. It's hard not to be paranoid when all the key ones go against you.

Still, our 14 men (mainly our 2nds) battered a very strong Scarlets team. Good luck to those who accuse us of not fronting up and having a soft underbelly.

6 minutes ago, same_ol_g35 said:

Scarlets fans on the Pro 14 Facebook page whining that the ref was "totally biased against them"! What the f**k game we're they watching?! 

Apparently  he was trying to even it up after the red card. The scrum penalties were a joke, despite Glasgow absolutely bulldozing them there.

Very, very, very pleasing.

To be fair, there were a few Scarlets fans near us who accepted they were completely outplayed by 14 men.

37 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Scarlet fans not happy on facebook

"Donald Rees The ref was terrible so biased against the scarlet

Stuart Jones Scarlets were very poor ref was aweful let Glasgow get away with everything pro14 refs are abismal

Ah, two guys from Ospreys and Dragons territory getting upset. Maybe the c***s should focus on their own teams' fortunes. Unless they're gloryhunters.

As for the TMO, I don't wish to get political but a quick Google search suggests that he's definitely the Fife version of Douglas Ross.

Absolutely fucking delighted that we won. I must confess, I did have a mild head's gone during the game at the dreadful officiating. Glad we won to get it right up certain people.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen
Mild paranoia in the last sentence

1 hour ago, ddfg said:

Can anyone who watched the game on tv say if Evans was in touch for his try cos it looked pretty close from where we were sitting?

Don’t think so. The tackler (can’t remember who now) was well in touch but Evans’ legs were underneath him and well clear of touch before he got the ball down.

Baffled by non red on Swinson. You could see his face taking the initial brunt of the hit. Anyway, brilliant performance. So good to see the Scarlets front row taking a pasting after the number of times in the previous 5 games where Ken Owens has walked them round to milk penalties. 

My mates boy was playing mini rugby at half time today. Him and his team mates met every single player today, including the internationals who weren't playing, and Ryan Wilson gave them their team talk before the game. They also have Warriors out regularly to the club to speak to the boys. It's brilliant the way that community spirit that was put into place a few years ago has been built on by the team, and the players seem to be fully bought into it. That's how rugby in Scotland, and especially in glasgow can build on recent success and keep boys in the game.

My mates boy was playing mini rugby at half time today. Him and his team mates met every single player today, including the internationals who weren't playing, and Ryan Wilson gave them their team talk before the game. They also have Warriors out regularly to the club to speak to the boys. It's brilliant the way that community spirit that was put into place a few years ago has been built on by the team, and the players seem to be fully bought into it. That's how rugby in Scotland, and especially in glasgow can build on recent success and keep boys in the game.
I think the SRU are behind it? With both pro sides incouraged to send players out to open days/help run training sessions for kids to help build/keep it high the profile of rugby.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Indeed. Warriors are good for community stuff. For example, they now have players doing Question Of Sport stuff at Harper Macleod yearly. Incidentally, for @Mark Connolly, Cully's team was battered by du Plessis' team :angel

Good and bad news about Lacey.

The good news he is now retired from international rugby.
The bad he will still be a pro 14 ref till the end of the season before becoming a coach for Irish refs.